List Mgmt. Trade and F/A 2020 Cont’d

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, just how dumb is Collingwood?

Reef goes down the draft combine testing knowing full well that we will be taking him.

He then goes down there and runs a 2.78 sec sprint and has nearly all the clubs eyeing him off as the big inside mid with elite speed.

He may now go 5-10 spots higher simply because of that.

We really are fu**ing dumb aren’t we? Someone should’ve said ‘mate take it easy down there as we don’t want you showcasing your talents too much’ and instead he goes ahead and does that. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Ultimately it did three things.
It sold Treloar to the Dogs because nobody else was buying his contract. Collingwood at that stage thought both relationship and the $$ was unsalvageable.
It gave the Dogs more points to match an early bid on JUH so helps them massively.
And ultimately we got a pick early enough in the draft that Reef will most likely not be bid so we can use that pick on another guy plus still be able to get Reef.
That’s why they did it.

By giving up 33 and 42 we won’t have the points when a bid for Reef does come. It was way over the top to add those picks

By giving up 33 and 42 we won’t have the points when a bid for Reef does come. It was way over the top to add those picks

Oh I understand. But Dogs weren’t taking Treloar if we didn’t do it. You gotta remember, they had all the leverage in the deal.
We’re gonna be muddling around with our 2021 picks to get back into this draft and then trading 2022 picks to get points for next year and Nick.

Lets not also forget, he can play back, and forward. He is versatile, you can play him anywhere you want. That kind of options for a player -- lets be honest, not every player have these qualities; will be too hard to pass up.
Given his age and the 2020 season, do you think he will need an extended run in the 2’s ?

Given his age and the 2020 season, do you think he will need an extended run in the 2’s ?

Yes. Only turns 18 in December. Had the slowest 2k time trial of anyone at the testing as well so will need to build his tank and size. Think he’ll get games but won’t be a regular I don’t think next year.

But jeesh, he’s never been able to have a proper crack in the guts due to playing at Oakleigh behind Rowell, Anderson and others. He could be a star from the get go and demand a spot early.

Reef goes down the draft combine testing knowing full well that we will be taking him.

He then goes down there and runs a 2.88sec sprint and has nearly all the clubs eyeing him off as the big inside mid with elite speed.

We really are fu**ing dumb aren’t we? Someone should’ve said ‘mate take it easy down there as we don’t want you showcasing your talents too much’ and instead he goes ahead and does that. Unbelievable.

You can’t make this shit up, why haven’t we got him to eat some bad Indian and come down with gastro for the testing.

GWS are c*nts, they proved that with their bid way too high on Quaynor just to piss us off. They’ll do the same again with Reef and bid with one of those Geelong picks they got. We’ll need to turn 14 and 16 into Ess pick 7 and 44

You can’t make this sh*t up, why haven’t we got him to eat some bad Indian and come down with gastro for the testing.

GWS are c*nts, they proved that with their bid way too high on Quaynor just to piss us off. They’ll do the same again with Reef and bid with one of those Geelong picks they got. We’ll need to turn 14 and 16 into Ess pick 7 and 44

Its an absolute disgrace. He’s already low enough in draft realms because he played as a 16yo last year behind all those guns at the Chargers.
If he played his top age year this year he’d be top 10 no doubt about it in my eyes. We don’t need him to now improve his prospects.

We are seriously ran by peanuts.

probably a little bit. Given he isn't even 18 til Dec 12. Will do him some good. But he isn't thin, so prob not the kind of extended run like Tyler brown.

I'm a bit dirty on treloar here.
Hes leaked shit to the media, thus weakening our hand.
If our plan is to move on without treloar we'll that's life. He's still getting his moneys owed.
The leaking really ****ed us, as did not nominating the suns - his prerogative.

But seriously, i find the current arrangement peculiar as did the board as did nearly all.other Vic clubs who weren't walking over coals to get him.

He wanted to play for us and showed loyalty and that's great. But he's also going to be spending time away with his newborn and not really fully committed and I'm pretty confident that it will be problematic.

Had he stayed on he might have taken personal leave up there and the one or two hamstring injuries. All for 900k a season.

He then goes down there and runs a 2.88sec sprint and has nearly all the clubs eyeing him off as the big inside mid with elite speed.

Combine results mean SFA. He’s not going to go 5-10 spots just because he’s quick.

Combine results mean SFA. He’s not going to go 5-10 spots just because he’s quick.

You’re joking aren’t you?
Tell me any other 193cm prospects who can run a 2.78 (got it wrong before) sec 20m, let alone sub 3 secs?
He’s the perfect prototype modern day midfielder and clubs will look at that speed thinking wow we could have a guy here who has Judd speed from a stoppage and he’s big.
This has 100% got clubs thinking about him in more light. You’d be stupid to not think thats the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No sh*t. How many backend points to we have for Reef once we pick up others at 14 & 16?

We'll have to cascade points back from the 2021 / 2022 drafts to help match bids on Reef and Daicos.

There's also hot rumours of another additional trade period, so I wouldn't be surprised if we shifted someone else out then once the dust settles from list sizes and whatnot. Might also still be some small hope of turning 14 and 16 into an earlier pick and a decent young player, if that extra mini trade period actually happens.

My tip would be we look to turn one or more of our 2021 second and third picks into whatever might be needed to match a bid on Reef this year once other clubs academy prospects manage to slip outside the first round without attracting a bid. We'd then look to acquire 2021 second round picks via player or future picks trades during next year's trade window so that we can match a bid on Daicos.

yeah that was dumb... if Reef was the targeted pick and has high potential, then why bring the attention to him or encourage him to "show case"....
In the NBA, teams tell players they want to draft guarantees so the players stop show casing to other teams.

Only reason I see is Reef wants the maximum salary he can and that is towards the top 10 obviously.... either way, if Reef is really good I dont see why a team like Essendon with multiple top 10 picks draft him, he's 6'4 with elite Judd-like speed apparently, so he would be impressive many teams.

Tell me any other 193cm prospects who can run a 2.78 (got it wrong before) sec 20m, let alone sub 3 secs?
He’s the perfect prototype modern day midfielder and clubs will look at that speed thinking wow we could have a guy here who has Judd speed from a stoppage and he’s big.
This has 100% got clubs thinking about him in more light. You’d be stupid to not think thats the case.
Have you watched Reef play?

yeah that was dumb... if Reef was the targeted pick and has high potential, then why bring the attention to him or encourage him to "show case"....
In the NBA, teams tell players they want to draft guarantees so the players stop show casing to other teams.

Only reason I see is Reef wants the maximum salary he can and that is towards the top 10 obviously.... either way, if Reef is really good I dont see why a team like Essendon with multiple top 10 picks draft him, he's 6'4 with elite Judd-like speed apparently, so he would be impressive many teams.
The worst part is that if he does sneak into the top 10, the two first round picks evil effectively become one pick if we match it. That’s why we have to do some wheeling and dealing like Ric Flair

Tell me any other 193cm prospects who can run a 2.88 sec 20m, let alone sub 3 secs?

You have to take the combine sprint results with a grain of salt, as the players testing were favoured by a heavy tail wind apparently and as a result weren't counted for combine record purposes.

There were also multiple 190cm+ players breaking the 3.00 second barrier looking back over the past few draft combines, so it's not exactly unique.

Have you watched Reef play?

Only seen snippets of him.
What I do know is that he’s played most of his higher grade football either forward or back. Especially with Oakleigh.
His next transition is to play full time midfield. With his physical attributes I expect him to excel. He’s shown in small doses he thrives on the inside with his size and athleticism. His scope is massive.

Only seen snippets of him.
What I do know is that he’s played most of his higher grade football either forward or back. Especially with Oakleigh.
His next transition is to play full time midfield. With his physical attributes I expect him to excel. He’s shown in small doses he thrives on the inside with his size and athleticism. His scope is massive.
Then you shouldn’t be surprised that recruiters already rate him highly not from just one test. Reef has had top 10 potential all along.

If we are going off the other results from that day, his agility test was quite surprising (8.68) that’s rated pretty low. But if you’ve seen him play live it’s actually his greatest attribute while playing in the middle. He uses his agility to weave around his opponents with ease. So test results don’t always tell the truth on the field.

Re AT - don’t recruit a guy who loves the Coach - not a sensible conclusion given Taylor Adams fits the same profile and has been an outstanding success. Players are motivated to join a club to play for Coaches they admire frequently. eg Clarko.

Adams is not an outstanding success. He's a good ordinary player with questionable disposal and more brain fades than a woman on her menstrual cycle.

And, err, players might want to come and play under Clarkson because he is a Premiership coach.

Shaz - Selwood one of the greatest players of modern times, would have been overlooked on your criteria, because he had an ACL injury before being drafted.
Ultimately it’s was knee issues that destroyed Shaz not feet, so again your criteria fail.

Do you understand what sesamoiditis is? It affects the big toe, which is heavily involved in the gait cycle. It's also more prone in those with a rigid foot, thus accentuating ground reaction forces during running, jumping and landing.

It may have contributed to his kee issues, it may not.

And Stevo would never have picked because of his heart condition.
And not sure how STEVO’s subsequent issues where possible to predict before drafting him.

I didn't say they were. I was being critical of the club for getting rid of him.

Beams - he had a medical, so his hip was fine. Not sure the List Manager is responsible for poor medical advice on this or mental health issues.

Beams had known mental health issues - he took time off from the game that year due to them. If that isn't a clue, I don't know what is.

What did the CFC medical consist of? Functional assessment or the club doctors looking at previous scans? He had known issues, and it was one of the stupidest decisions a club has ever made. Or, it would be, because this football club keeps making them.

So bottom line - there are no ironclad lessons here - you make decisions on the best available information and that’s all you can do.

The Collingwood football club make decisions based on emotion, not logic.

I don’t disagree but it was obviously the only way the Dogs were going to give up 14. They needed those points for JUH bid. 26 alone wasn’t going to cut it.

If we are able to get 14 & 16 in before a Reef bid then we still have the flexibility to trade our future first for multiple picks in the 20s this year. Having the Dogs future 2nd also means that we can possibly involve that too even if we trade our own future first.

I’m still really disappointed with the trade period but I must admit I’m intrigued what we are planning for the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back