List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daicos_35

A couple of questions which you're the most likely to know.

At the end of the year Noble will have been on the list for 2 and a half years, will he be able to be retained as a rookie or have to be elevated?
Tohill will have done 3 years as a Cat B - if he's retained, does he have to go on the primary list or can you go from Cat B to Cat A?

And that doesn’t even includes trades or cat b rookie types.

Targetting talls as Cat B sounds great as you widen the pool of guys with height and genuine athleticism, but I think we've got it wrong in doing it. KPPs rely on reading the ball flight, - whilst they're roles where the desired athletic attirbutes are rare, to excel in the role they're the roles where experience and growing up with the game really matters. The basketball and soccer players can pick up other roles much more easily as most of what matters can be transferred from another sport, but reading the flight of a sherrin isn't transferrable. We're yet to see an international or other sport recruit who is a particularly good mark of the footy. Even with our homegrown gun ex-basketballers - Grundy and Pendles, it seems obvious that they were playing basketball and not kick to kick at lunchtime as kids.

Hopefully Keane and Tohill can prove my theory wrong.

Alex Keath and Nathan Murphy are cricket players by this definition?

I’m not sure I agree, as a kid growing up in the south of Australia is going to be exposed to quite a few different sports, and I don’t think it’s as cut and dried as “x is a basketballer and so never developed the ability to judge a football in flight”.

Really... getting rid of Treloar, Stevo and Phillips, plus an ageing sidey, pendles, Howe and Roughy, and the club couldn’t see that we would fall....

idiots
But they would've expected to get more out of Howe, JDG & Grundy this year, and would've been expecting further improvement from IQ and Daicos. Losing Adams and Elliott hasn't helped either. With them in the side we may have won another three games, thus far and then the situation would seem OK.

Add the Beams payout this year of about $750-850k, add the $300k we’re apparently paying for Phillips this year, add that we apparently front-ended a significant proportion of the Treloar payout to this year... I’d be very surprised if we didn’t have a pool well north of $1m to play with.
Beams was paid out under last years cap. Under standard rules and guidelines we can’t pay a player who is no longer contracted to the club. If we were to pay out this year we would have had to keep Beams on the rookie list like Sydney did with Tippett after he retired. From my understanding, we appealed to the AFL to let us spread out his payments and were knocked back, which is a large part of why last years salary dumps became necessary.

Beams was paid out under last years cap. Under standard rules and guidelines we can’t pay a player who is no longer contracted to the club. If we were to pay out this year we would have had to keep Beams on the rookie list like Sydney did with Tippett after he retired. From my understanding, we appealed to the AFL to let us spread out his payments and were knocked back, which is a large part of why last years salary dumps became necessary.
I think it’s similar to Gibbs being kept on the Adelaide list even though he retired last year.

Suns could opt not to trade. B King could then threaten to walk to the preseason draft. The way we are going we could have the #1 pick in that

Or he could end up at North. He ain't leaving without that capacity to get where he wants.

Or he could end up at North. He ain't leaving without that capacity to get where he wants.

Wait and see. These things get done in October onwards when the ladder position is already determined

The silver lining to a wooden spoon (don’t think we get one) could be the ability for a young out of contract trade target like B King to walk straight to us via the preseason draft

the more I look at our list the more in trouble we are.
Elliot and Howe are so injury prone now they basically non players. Adams is almost in that category... how many games are these 3 ever playing together..

we are getting daicos And dib (maybe) this year. We need a LOT more than that. So any notion that this is not a 3 year rebuild is out the door. We need some OOC players, but lack any currency atm.

we need 3 unimpeded drafts to fix this mess. It’s def time to be looking at trading Sidebottom and even Howe at the very least. A club in contention would offer a second, we could use that for an OOC player need. Degoey has no currency, no point trading before FA. Moore end of, not tradable. We cannot lose our next skipper

geeze we have some decks to shuffle...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore will be the next captain, hopefully as soon as next year

Hmm is he hard nosed enough or physical enough to earn that respect?

Often wonder re Pendles is the teams softeness over the last few years a reflection of his more passive style.

Think the club would be better served under a player like Adams putting his body on the line aggressive at man and ball.
Maxwell Hodge Voss Shaw Matthews all had that common theme.

Elliot and Howe are so injury prone now they basically non players. Adams is almost in that category... how many games are these 3 ever playing together..

we are getting daicos And dib (maybe) this year. We need a LOT more than that. So any notion that this is not a 3 year rebuild is out the door. We need some OOC players, but lack any currency atm.

we need 3 unimpeded drafts to fix this mess. It’s def time to be looking at trading Sidebottom and even Howe at the very least. A club in contention would offer a second, we could use that for an OOC player need. Degoey has no currency, no point trading before FA. Moore end of, not tradable. We cannot lose our next skipper

Will take 4 to 5 years to fix this mess imo.

Melbourne went the route of off-loading all their senior experience in 2010 in order to rebuild. Look how it's worked out for them. They may actually challenge for a flag this year, 11 years after making that call.

Melbourne went the route of off-loading all their senior experience in 2010 in order to rebuild. Look how it's worked out for them. They may actually challenge for a flag this year, 11 years after making that call.
I didn’t say all, but sidey at the very least should be considered. We need some OOC players but have no currency. Have to give up a little. There’s some decent talent in the GC, dogs seconds, but we have no picks as it stands to offer and I don’t want our 1st, 2nd rounders from future drafts being touched

Thanks, didn't realise that. Doubt it still hasn't also impacted this year from a 95-105% TPP perspective. Clubs just don't have $750-850k sitting around at the end of the year given 5% was something like $650k on last years TPP. Likely it would have pushed us close to the 105% threshold which then has to be redressed in the following season.

I didn’t say all, but sidey at the very least should be considered. We need some OOC players but have no currency. Have to give up a little. There’s some decent talent in the GC, dogs seconds, but we have no picks as it stands to offer and I don’t want our 1st, 2nd rounders from future drafts being touched

Brought in a lot of players last year. I'm happy to see how they develop. I think we need to retain much of the talented senior cohort we still have to give those kids their best chance.

We've got to find some creative way to get players in, as things really are looking dire.

GWS played Riccardi in the back pocket...

Trying to turn him into a defender? lol

well he had 40 possessions and took 19 marks. Not a bad effort for the first ever game in the backline.

Take Edwards and Freeman in the mid season draft.

Freeman killing it, leading disposal winner in the VFL so far averaging 39 touches.

Does anyone know when his last hamstring injury was? Maybe he's on top of it now..
I don't think Freeman would step back in the Holden Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back