List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time they let clubs trade players on draft night. It annoys me that we can't match a Daicos bid and THEN trade a player for a first or second round pick.

Currently we'd have to trade a player for a future pick, match a bid and then try and trade that future pick back into the draft. Guaranteed to be burned.

None of whom were drafted in the last 10 years

Well if you go back 4+ years for a premiership, like the Eagles for example, it's unlikely you will find 3rd or 4th year top 5 picks in a premiership side to meet your criteria of in the last 10 years from now.

Your question really seems to be, how many top 5 picks in the last 10 years do Richmond have? It's a pretty small sample size.

West Coast had Masten, Kennedy, Gaff
Richmond - Cotchin, Martin. Caddy and Prestia was the next closest at pick #7 & #9.
Dogs - Boyd, Stringer, Bont, (Macrae = #6)
Hawks - Hodge, Roughead, Franklin (Lewis #7)
Sydney - McVeigh

Isn’t the counter argument if we don’t finish bottom three, our first rounder gets absorbed by Daicos, and we have to draft from a weaker draft instead of having Poulter etc.

We probably should have sniffed that we were a bottom four side, but to be honest I’m very happy with our draft last year. About 6-7 could be senior players which is amazing.

We could still finish bottom and a possible draft hall of Horne Daicos and Dib if we kept our 1st rounder.. Any way what's done is done, the 2020 draftees look capable so far, if McMahon becomes a regular best 22 then it will be a great result.

Isn’t the counter argument if we don’t finish bottom three, our first rounder gets absorbed by Daicos, and we have to draft from a weaker draft instead of having Poulter etc.

We probably should have sniffed that we were a bottom four side, but to be honest I’m very happy with our draft last year. About 6-7 could be senior players which is amazing.
Yes, could go down as one of our greatest drafts (time will tell).
Only an issue due to CFC bottoming out faster than anticipated.
If we weren’t cellar dwellers, would hardly be raised/discussed.

Last edited:
That is an amazing stat that got me thinking.... How many top 5 picks in the past ten years have become premiership players... All I can come up with is Boyd Bontempelli and Stringer...
Its interesting but meaningless.Truth is most of the stats the AFL uses are meaningless.

There are too many other variables involved in correltating flags with low draft picks for it to ever have any significance. No statistically significant correlation could be made between the 2. Still its a nice talking point.

We all know hindsight is a wonderful thing. I didn’t think we got enough for our first rounder at the time, which was undoubtably going to be a top 8-10 pick anyway

But I never thought we would be this bad, even with Treloar and Stephenson out the door.

But let’s be honest when the club made the trade, no one knew Moore, Howe, Adams, Elliot and Daicos would miss significant parts of the season, to a lesser extent now Pendlebury, although I don’t really consider 4 games missed as significant.

If we finish last, yeah it’s clearly a shit result, there’s no other way around it. But as a general rule, the AFL media and supporters pump up the draft and the value of draft picks more than they should, so I don’t think it’s as big as a missed opportunity as it’s made out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's time they let clubs trade players on draft night. It annoys me that we can't match a Daicos bid and THEN trade a player for a first or second round pick.

Currently we'd have to trade a player for a future pick, match a bid and then try and trade that future pick back into the draft. Guaranteed to be burned.
The AFL has a lot of growing up to do in that regard. It's supposedly a professional sport yet we get so precious about trading players. Then there is the farcical not openly disclosing salaries. It's amateur hour.

GWS need a ruckman... Riccardi for Lynch - straight swap.

Both have shown they have potential in their respective positions, both can't get a game in their respective sides. Win-win trade for me.
Can't let Lynch go IMO.

That Grundy contract will come to a head in the next 18 months. Much rather keep Max at this point.

Given i don't understand how the draft works exactly. What would it take to get another one or two top 10 picks.

Trading Sidebottom, Elliot and Lynch perhaps?
Is that possible?

Given i don't understand how the draft works exactly. What would it take to get another one or two top 10 picks.

Trading Sidebottom, Elliot and Lynch perhaps?
Is that possible?
Pointless.
unless there is some magic way to get the #1 pick. top 10 pick we acquire prior to a daicos bid (trade period) will be absobed up by the points to match.

GWS need a ruckman... Riccardi for Lynch - straight swap.

Both have shown they have potential in their respective positions, both can't get a game in their respective sides. Win-win trade for me.

I'm not too sure about GWS needing a ruck. Not sure if Mumford goes around again but they rate Flynn and Briggs pretty highly and also signed Preuss last year

An extension to his house after hes delisted this year?
FM, if we extend JT

The only problem here would be the draft would go all night if your trading players and what about requiring players agreement to the trade??

FM, if we extend JT

The only problem here would be the draft would go all night if your trading players and what about requiring players agreement to the trade??
I would be very surrised if Thomas doesnt get another 1 year contract. he has had a fairly good season and we lack experience. We cant play kids all the time, will just get smashed, need a balance

I would be very surrised if Thomas doesnt get another 1 year contract. he has had a fairly good season and we lack experience. We cant play kids all the time, will just get smashed, need a balance
Yeah that’s the reason I think also, we do need experience players...but my take on JT is keeping someone like Ginnivan out of the side and stifling his development. I would hope our new coach will have a more hardline approach on our senior players that constantly under perform...

Agree, wouldn't have thought he'd cost much, plus adds valuable experience while the likes of McCreery and Ginnivan push to take his role.

Yeah that’s the reason I think also, we do need experience players...but my take on JT is keeping someone like Ginnivan out of the side and stifling his development. I would hope our new coach will have a more hardline approach on our senior players that constantly under perform...
I think what it always should be is that the guys coming up have to displace the incumbants by superior performance. Gifting games never helps. Equation is pretty simple. Ginnivan gets games when he outperforms guys like Thomas. Its not a massive ask but also not fait accompli. If Ginnivan doesnt go past Thomas his development isnt being stifled.

The AFL has a lot of growing up to do in that regard. It's supposedly a professional sport yet we get so precious about trading players. Then there is the farcical not openly disclosing salaries. It's amateur hour.

It could at least expand to be consential, say if we wanted to trade Sidebottom on draft night, we could get his permission to trade him.

I'm not sure how other clubs work with regards to medicals and so on 🤷

FM, if we extend JT

If players want to stay at their current club they can take unders and add a "no trade cause" like the NBA. Otherwise they can take the big pay day and suck it up if they are traded. It's a professional sport where the players earn over 4 times the average salary of other Australians. You can guarantee that if the current players weren't happy with this that there would be plenty lining up to take their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back