List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that didn't sound to positive for big Coxy. McRae, said when asked about Cox, was something that they will look at regarding his contract status, and will do what's best for the club...
Given their friendship I reckon he just put his business/coach hat on.

Hows next years draft pool looking?? would all depend on the talent ... i would like to see us go to the draft with our first round next year though.
No idea, but both Gibcus and Amiss are looking like top 10 prospects as it stands. I’m very much in the camp of a bird in the hand, so if we felt that either of those boys had the potential to become elite KPP, I’d be inclined to grab them and get that extra year of development in to them rather than wait another year to see if the current highly rated talls are still rated highly or have dropped (eg. Jarrod Brander bandied as potential number 1, 12 months prior to his draft)

Am I wrong when I look at Lipinski and see what Bianco will become in 2-3 years?

Steady by foot and hand, not overly-gifted with pace, decent vision.

I'm not opposed, but he doesn't look like he'd fill a list hole for us.
He's a balling winning, goal kicking mid. He's classy too. Hes far better than Bianco.

Apparently Lipinski will request a trade to either us or Carlton, has no interest in re signing with the dogs

Hopefully with Carlton wanting Cerra, Lipinski will see that he is more of a priority to us, and we get him nominating us as his preferred destination. I think he will be more then handy for us.

I would only trade next years first for pick 1 in this years draft so we could bid on the bulldogs player then draft Horne and get Daicos even cheaper, north would obviously not do the trade tho

I’d be pretty pissed if we traded that pick for someone who isn’t even a top 3 mid in this draft (Daicos>Ward>Callaghan)!

It’s a no from me. Amiss has only played at Colts level so I’m not investing that type of draft capital into him. I’m more confident on Gibcus, but it’s too hard a sell after trading out our 2021 1st and with the Vic kids effectively having lost the final two years of their jnr career. WBU?
No idea, but both Gibcus and Amiss are looking like top 10 prospects as it stands. I’m very much in the camp of a bird in the hand, so if we felt that either of those boys had the potential to become elite KPP, I’d be inclined to grab them and get that extra year of development in to them rather than wait another year to see if the current highly rated talls are still rated highly or have dropped (eg. Jarrod Brander bandied as potential number 1, 12 months prior to his draft)

It’s a no from me. Amiss has only played at Colts level so I’m not investing that type of draft capital into him. I’m more confident on Gibcus, but it’s too hard a sell after trading out our 2021 1st and with the Vic kids effectively having lost the final two years of their jnr career. WBU?
Thank'e Derek Hine but there comes a time when you have to take a chance, Amiss will probably go number 5 the way he is going, he ticks all the boxes for a KF. Gibcus would fill a need going forward but he's a defender and we want a KF

No it’s all the more reason to not bring in speculative talls. We need to start investing more draft assets in talls at the pointy end of the draft and not clubs sloppy seconds or guys that might make it in 5 years time.

What that means is you target one of Krueger, Weideman, Riccardi, Schlensog etc. and if you want another tall you work toward getting a top 25 pick in this draft post a Daicos bid.

How are we investing in quality talls talls with zero draft hand?

We likely get a top 6 pick next year but could easily draft the next BOyd, mccartin or Pattern.

To this end Peter Wright is a case study in this. Waste of a top 10 pick... but bombers got good value taking him for a late pick.

And I think it’s wishful to sit on our hands in the meantime and simply put our eggs in the B King, L McDonald basket. Learnt that lesson when Lynch chose the Tigers over us.

Literally 6-8 talls potentially available for cheap at years end. We’d be foolish not to top up with two of them imo

Am I wrong when I look at Lipinski and see what Bianco will become in 2-3 years?

I think Lipinski has more foot speed than Bianco, he can break the lines and a really penetrating kick. He reminds me more of Crisp than Bianco.

Thank'e Derek Hine but there comes a time when you have to take a chance, Amiss will probably go number 5 the way he is going, he ticks all the boxes for a KF. Gibcus would fill a need going forward but he's a defender and we want a KF
We need both. Roughead can’t go forever, and there’s no guarantee that Kelly or Keane will make the grade.

Out of curiosity, how would people feel, if on draft night, we were to trade our future first in order to draft Gibcus or Amiss?
We should hang on to the future first at all costs
Firstly Covid vaccinations should allow for an almost normal year to progress in 22 allowing us to monitor development of young talls
Secondly the ability to use in trade for a KPF (King) with a projected larger cap space next year

If Lipinksi comes to us, it likely means Dylan Stephens does not.

That suits me. Lipinski has shown what his best is at AFL level and it's good. Stephens is an each way bet who has shown flashes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would only trade next years first for pick 1 in this years draft so we could bid on the bulldogs player then draft Horne and get Daicos even cheaper, north would obviously not do the trade tho

That would mean we use next years 1st rounder and still don't have a key forward. We need to draft a high end key forward.

How are we investing in quality talls talls with zero draft hand?

We likely get a top 6 pick next year but could easily draft the next BOyd, mccartin or Pattern.

To this end Peter Wright is a case study in this. Waste of a top 10 pick... but bombers got good value taking him for a late pick.

And I think it’s wishful to sit on our hands in the meantime and simply put our eggs in the B King, L McDonald basket. Learnt that lesson when Lynch chose the Tigers over us.

Literally 6-8 talls potentially available for cheap at years end. We’d be foolish not to top up with two of them imo

Apex has literally just highlighted an avenue available to us and there is nothing preventing us from moving our 2022 2nd into this draft for say St Kilda’s 2nd (held by Richmond). Both moves provide us access to KPP’s in the top 25 of a draft. Wright is not a success story Cameron was better in 2021. You put it so perfectly with your last sentence when you mentioned topping up it just shows how blissfully unaware of the state of our list you are.

Stephens has much more upside to me, I don’t see why we can’t have both though. We have the PSD as an avenue as well. Just not sure about fitting both into the team, unless we have Josh Daicos in a high half forward role (which I think that’s where he’s best suited anyway).

Naughton was a defender in his draft year. I've no idea of Gibcus playing qualities, but if he attacks the ball in the air with strong hands and has an angry heart, I think its worth looking at irrespective of the position he plays.

Amiss again is doing it at Colts level so I’m happy for others to burn a top 5 pick on him. We need KPD cover more than KPF with 2022 likely to be Roughead’s swansong.

Watched Lipinski quite a bit in 2019/2020 for SC purposes. Would be a very shrewd acquisition.

He was played on the wing, and played his role well - however he always looked as if he had more to offer in the midfield. His skills are very good, and he is still young enough to make a real impact moving forward.

Has a lot of ability. Another one paced bloke who doesn't seem to have a huge tank to compensate or an abundance of aggression would be a bit of a worry, but I'd still be happy if we got him.

It's a good point, but personally I'm skeptical about Bianco making it, so I wouldn't make any decisions on recruiting with him being factored into the equation.

Apex has literally just highlighted an avenue available to us and there is nothing preventing us from moving our 2022 2nd into this draft for say St Kilda’s 2nd (held by Richmond). Both moves provide us access to KPP’s in the top 25 of a draft. Wright is not a success story Cameron was better in 2021. You put it so perfectly with your last sentence when you mentioned topping up it just shows how blissfully unaware of the state of our list you are.

Ha ha... very salty of you at the end there.

Rather than speaking to Riccardi, Schlensong, etc... we should put our eggs into a theoretical pick swap getting us a top 25 pick this year.. an 18 year old who then after 3-4 years development... may or may not be a decent player? See McLarty

That would be list mismanagement. Hopefully Wright and co are thinking of both improving our draft hand AND taking a mature KPP

Imagine if they just focused on 18 year olds? No Roughead, no Dunn, no Mihocek, No Cameron... going further back... no Leigh Brown, Wakelin, etc

P.S Wright has been a fine pick up for the bombers. Clearly not worth his initial salary but has offered them a ready made target inside 50 and a ruck option. And it’s not like the bombers have gone backwards this year for playing him

Last edited:
No it’s all the more reason to not bring in speculative talls. We need to start investing more draft assets in talls at the pointy end of the draft and not clubs sloppy seconds or guys that might make it in 5 years time.

What that means is you target one of Krueger, Weideman, Riccardi, Schlensog etc. and if you want another tall you work toward getting a top 25 pick in this draft post a Daicos bid.

I wouldn't mind bringing in 2 speculative talls especially if they have scope to play both ends. We need developing key backs as well as forwards. Krueger and Schlensog works for me.

Out of curiosity, how would people feel, if on draft night, we were to trade our future first in order to draft Gibcus or Amiss?

This is a good idea to progress forward as quick as possible. Amiss has all the ingredients we are looking for and most importantly is deadly accurate and has a strong attack on the footy. He can develop with begg and mcmahon. The defensive end can be filled easier with the likes of a chol, schlensog, krueger type that won't cost much or nothing at all in draft picks.
I don't believe we will have a pick inside the top 4/5 next season. 5 losses from 6 tight games this year and 2 by a point both of which we should have won. Horrible year all round for the club which I can't see being near as bad next year.

Twomey's comments

It has been an ultra-productive season for Amiss in front of goal this year for East Perth's colts side, with the key forward booting 49.12 in deadly accurate fashion. If Amiss has a set-shot you can almost take it to the bank he will slot it, making him one of the most efficient prospects to come through the draft in recent seasons. The tall left-footer is smart inside-50, reads the ball well in the air and competes strongly – all traits which were on show on Saturday against SA when Amiss kicked two goals and took some exciting grabs.

There’s a lot of variables, Apex

what are the talks like in next year’s draft?
Are the ones you speak of better?
Will the 2023/24 drafts be “compromised “ because Vic kids can’t develop any playing regular comp?
Does it take away flexibility in terms of trading in 2022?

I’m ok if they swap any pick for a gun

tough call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back