Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a pretty good idea and one we could look at. Trading our first this year + fringe player for a first next year and a second rounder this year gives us more points for West this year and 2 firsts to obtain a big fish.
Personally, I’d use our pick this year and let West use up our lower picks. I’d trade our 2019 and 2020 firsts for Kelly.

Beveridge and Chris grant are absolute morons if they think Dunkley doesn't have a place in the modern game. He is severely played out of position, he does not need to nail down a number of positions. He has one and it should be in the guts contesting every stoppage.

This is in response to Chris grants interview on SEN yesterday

Beveridge and Chris grant are absolute morons if they think Dunkley doesn't have a place in the modern game. He is severely played out of position, he does not need to nail down a number of positions. He has one and it should be in the guts contesting every stoppage.

I dont see dunkley as a midfielder at all?? I agree with the ommission to be honest. hes not good enough to be a forward. skills are avg at best. nice mark cant kick tho. I dunno.

I’d be against Wines. He’s a bull, but Libba can come back and be that bull. Dunkley could potentially offer that if they leave him in the midfield.

If I’m Sam Power, there’s no way I’m trading pick 6ish this year. No way.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Load up next year and chase Josh Kelly. That’s what we need. We need class and oodles of it. Guys like Gowers can come in and provide some aggression. Agression is cheap. Class is expensive.

Dahl can get us a second round pick. Trade it. Bring some experience in from elsewhere.

We at best could get a third rounder for Roughead or upgrade some late picks for him.

It’ll be tough but some cheapies can be found. Hamling and Biggs are examples for us. Marley Williams at Kangas etc.

Aaron Hall could be cheap at seasons end. I wouldn’t be against a nibble at Jayden Hunt.

Maybe go and get some experience from state level. Hell, we could do worse than get in Monfries ear and entice him to play AFL again for a year or two.

Aggression might be cheap but we are severely lacking it on field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Too slow. How do think he would have gone chasing Treloar or Dusty or Shiel?

And he's not Josh Caddy or even Liam Picken because he can't kick. When he can kick 3, 4 or 5 goals a game he has value. Otherwise what is he good for?

Too slow. How do think he would have gone chasing Treloar or Dusty or Shiel?

And he's not Josh Caddy or even Liam Picken because he can't kick. When he can kick 3, 4 or 5 goals a game he has value. Otherwise what is he good for?
Sounds like the Knocks on Josh Kennedy

Real industry talks a year ago that Ollie Wines was considering returning to Vic. I posted it then and I'm going again with it. Being courted big time. No idea whether he's in or out of contract but his management is moving and shaking. Could resign tomorrow. I have no clue. Just what's being bandied about.

Ollie for pick 6 + next years first? I'd give up a freakin' lot for him. Port would also ask a king's ransom for him.
No way I'd do that deal when I consider what we could get with pick 6. Might consider it for next year,s first on its own but that wouldn't get it done.
It would be selling our future out when we need to rebuild. (Yes I know Wines is still only in his mid20s).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Grant say?

I'm not as worried about our forward line as most. Defence is the least of our issues, plenty of good young talent there. We have some young talls with potential, mediums in Gowers and Lipinski. But we need smalls, with pace, tackling/pressure skills and a good goal sense.

The middle is our biggest weakness in my opinion despite having three guns. We lack the players to compliment them well, our depth is near non existent, our better players from 2-5 years ago, like Wallis, Libba, Dahlhaus have been found out with the modern game, or haven't been able to get on the field due to form or injuries. Even if we draft West, I think we need to make a play for a couple of good midfielders in the early to mid 20's range. Need more pace, aggression, kicking skills and goal sense

Would move on Roughead and Campbell this year if a ruckman becomes available somewhere.

Boyd is learning, English physically developing, I think we need to find another ruckman that's more than capable of at least halving the hitouts so other rucks don't make a meal out of our team each week and least give our mids more of an advantage in any contest

The question is, is there anyone targetable in this approaching offseason?

Am I the only one who can't wait for Dahlhaus to sign. Just so I don't have to read more trade talks.

It's easy to see his shortcomings, but he squeezes every last drop of ability out of himself a lot more often game to game than some others do on our list. You don't let those guys walk out the door.

A player with X factor that can kicks goals would be handy

Someone like Jake Stringer maybe.

It's easy to see his shortcomings, but he squeezes every last drop of ability out of himself a lot more often game to game than some others do on our list. You don't let those guys walk out the door.
That’s true, but he’s also one of the worst kicks in the league and it hurts us every week.

A player with X factor that can kicks goals would be handy

Someone like Jake Stringer maybe.
He's done jack shit all season until the Giants game though? He is in a "better team" now as you say, and is still no better a player than his final couple of seasons with us

How about a player with x factor who can kick goals, but consistently and has a good work rate and makes tackles. Not someone who shows up here and there when he wants to and is a passenger when the ball goes the other way

Last edited:
We need an explosive midfielder that can burst out of packs and kick goals. Well, we need a few things. But we're behind the ball when it comes to pace. But when you look at what a guy like Treloar can do for Collingwood, it seems like it'd be a rather good combination to pair a mid like that with some clearance beasts like Macrae/Libba/Bont etc that can win ball>flick out to running mid>goal.

Part of me thinks it'd be interesting to see, while we have not much to lose this season, us chuck JJ in the middle and see if he can play that role to some extent. Ideally I'd just want him back in defence, but it seems Bevo has moved on from that from the way he's using other players now. Maybe instead of putting JJ up forward where him touching the ball depends on other players winning it, kind of negating the advantage he brings, they need to get him more involved with the play, and let him be that driving guy again. What bothers me most though is that JJ was, structurally, perhaps our most important player in 2016. He gets tagged out of a few games in 2017 so we give up on trying and chuck him forward, giving up on what was an extremely important piece of the puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back