Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, and we are on record as saying we rated Richards as the next best player after Naughton but we had no way of knowing whether Richards would be available at 16. We could have ended up with the 15th best player for all we know. It does seem like a 'face saving' type trade more than prudent list management.
There's a fair bit of crystal-balling in relation to trading up to a certain pick to get a targeted player. Of the picks from 10-16, only Carlton was genuinely in the mix for Richards at pick 10 but decided to (thankfully) go for Lochie O'Brien instead. Not sure who we had earmarked had Richards been taken by the Blues (which was a line-ball call). Was a big risk but we got the chocolates in the end - like you, I'm not certain we knew we would get our player with the trade we did, and it was a generous trade. Ultimately the net result of our trade week and national draft shenanigans ended up being positive - getting Richards at 16 is a big part of that. Love him.

Are you guys interested in Josh Kelly to sign for next year. I think He is friends with bontompelli. You will also have a better pick this year than north, I would Like to see some competition for his signature, maybe you could trade back Boyd to us to play the role Rory lobb is not playing well.

Are you guys interested in Josh Kelly to sign for next year. I think He is friends with bontompelli. You will also have a better pick this year than north, I would Like to see some competition for his signature, maybe you could trade back Boyd to us to play the role Rory lobb is not playing well.

Yes we like kelly but it would be the most surprising turn of events ever if Boyd wanted back to GWS.

Brandon Pruess is the man your team should be targetting.

How about Honeychurch for Cameron?

If we do what's suggested in here and by some media critics and trade Wallis, Smith, dunkley Roberts and let Dahl walk we will have absolutely no depth in case of injuries or competition for spots. We cannot have a team of all a graders. We need depth, we used to have the best depth in the comp back in 2015-16 but have let some slip away.

My view is that our b-graders and some a-graders are the ones that have not kept their form over the past two years and improved on the trajectory we envisioned such as Biggs, Roberts, roughy and of course Dahl.

David king suggested that he feels that Beveridge believes that he got all he could out of our list in 2016 so he is stripping it right back to build forward. What intrigues me is that he also predicts that our team will be different again in two years time. This is something that most of us know, but it was nice to have a measured view on our club from an outsider.

Mentioned it in another thread and irrespective of list balance another thing that is off kelter with our list is that we have far too many nice blokes and not enough hard, tough and annoying campaigners. Unfortunately this year most of ours like Picken, Smith, Libba and Redpath (the type who fly the flag and get under oppostion skin) have been injured. But we still lack depth in players who have this mentality. The great sides of yesterday have always generally had several of them in the team. You can see the 2018 demons adopting the same mentality, they have about ten blokes on the field who act tough and love the push and shove and whilst sometimes this sometimes is a bad thing, often it’s the best way to disrupt momentum and take the opposition of their game.

We need to look at drafting and trading in some of these types, instead of playing far too many flakey outside receivers who go missing when the going gets tough. And theirs about 5 to 6 regulars who everyone could name who are far too flakey.

Your thoughts
Adelaide have 2 first round picks this year,one they got from Melbourne and there existing one.

At this stage they would have picks 15-16 but all the class SA players are in the top 10..
Rankine
Rozzee
Hatley
Lukosius

The bulldogs look set for a lean year and will start playing the kids after the bye,so we can assume our pick will be between 4-6.
I believe this is a Perfect storm for us to trade pick say 5 for picks 15-16

Cost=Rankine
Gain=Caldwell and Duursma

Add this to West who will only cost us pick 42 as we have no other 2nd round pick.

1.Caldwell is a fast explosive onballer
2.Duursma is a fast outside wingman who hits the scoreboard
3.West is a tough inside onballer who had great disposal.
4.Blank is a tall 196cm key position player
5.Dawson

Win Win :)

If we knew we were into trengove and Naughton (and likely we would have) when we re-signed Roberts, why re-sign him? And why for two years? Why not wait to re-sign fringe players that other clubs arent going to be chasing anyway? Ditto Campbell, while leaving Wallis and Dahl unsigned.

Dumb list management on multiple fronts.
Surely the club didn't know we were going to recruit naughton and trengove when we resigned Roberts. Trengove was a staple in port's 22 at the time, and probably wouldn't have left if he hadn't been pushed out of the team late in the season. Were our list management supposed to predict that he would be dropped and seeking opportunity elsewhere?

Similarly, I'd be shocked if we knew we were gonna pick naughton midway through the year, given most of our draftees are picked after improving rapidly late in the year.

Our key defensive stocks at the time were Cordy, Roberts, a perenially injured Adams, Collins and Morris (whom many people on here claimed was not a KPP when we were short of KPPs, but is a key defender now that we have too many). Young was an 18 year old key forward at the time. It was a position where we severely lacked quality and depth.

Of course, resigning Roberts for so long wasn't good knowing what we know now, but list management is much easier in hindsight. Nobody said "we're going to have too many key defenders" when we resigned him, but now we're saying the club should've known this would happen.

Your thoughts
Adelaide have 2 first round picks this year,one they got from Melbourne and there existing one.

At this stage they would have picks 15-16 but all the class SA players are in the top 10..
Rankine
Rozzee
Hatley
Lukosius

The bulldogs look set for a lean year and will start playing the kids after the bye,so we can assume our pick will be between 4-6.

Cost=Rankine

Add this to West who will only cost us pick 42 as we have no other 2nd round pick.

5.Dawson

Struggling to get my head around anyone whose surname is Duursma...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your thoughts

Rankine
Rozzee
Hatley
Lukosius

Cost=Rankine

5.Dawson

And watch West get bid on at 14? Then have to use pick 15 on him. No thanks.
We need elite talent not another couple of solid citizens.
If ever there was a draft not to trade down in it is this year. Combined with the fact that we can use later picks to tie up West.

Surely the club didn't know we were going to recruit naughton and trengove when we resigned Roberts. Trengove was a staple in port's 22 at the time, and probably wouldn't have left if he hadn't been pushed out of the team late in the season. Were our list management supposed to predict that he would be dropped and seeking opportunity elsewhere?

Similarly, I'd be shocked if we knew we were gonna pick naughton midway through the year, given most of our draftees are picked after improving rapidly late in the year.

Our key defensive stocks at the time were Cordy, Roberts, a perenially injured Adams, Collins and Morris (whom many people on here claimed was not a KPP when we were short of KPPs, but is a key defender now that we have too many). Young was an 18 year old key forward at the time. It was a position where we severely lacked quality and depth.

Of course, resigning Roberts for so long wasn't good knowing what we know now, but list management is much easier in hindsight. Nobody said "we're going to have too many key defenders" when we resigned him, but now we're saying the club should've known this would happen.

Plenty of people were critical of the length of contract given to Roberts at the time IIRC. And I'd be very surprised if we didnt know we were into Trengove when Fletch was re-signed. Anyway agree to disagree.

So I think most on here agree that..

Gone
Dixon-Retire
Collins-Delist
Picken-Retire

Trade or Delist
Biggs
Campbell
Roberts
Webb
Honeychurch

2 Players we need to target are Bolton from Tigers and Pruess North both fill our needs staright away

A trade hypothetical to consider.

If Lewis Young was part of the deal to secure a player of the caliber of Oliver Wines, would you pull the trigger?

Id turn the video game off if I was you coz that is the only reality that happens

A trade hypothetical to consider.

If Lewis Young was part of the deal to secure a player of the caliber of Oliver Wines, would you pull the trigger?

So Port deliberately lose Trengove because no room in the backline. We recruit him and he beats Young for a spot in our backline....yet Port somehow want Young?

Why?

Hmm. Would prefer not to trade Young, but would be stupid not to have a look at it.
Wouldn't get any value for Young in that trade. They'd just ask for a first rounder and Young. Think the question would be more relevant for Naughton. Which i'd hope we wouldn't do. Realistic packages only work with players the supporters won't want to give up.

So Port deliberately lose Trengove because no room in the backline. We recruit him and he beats Young for a spot in our backline....yet Port somehow want Young?

Why?

I think Port lost another defender to the saints as well and also Trengrove couldn’t find a position anywhere. He “can” play anywhere on the ground but couldn’t lock down any spot so I think it’s more than just “Trengrove couldn’t find a spot in the backline”.

And you could be right, port may not want another key defender (and I haven’t done an in depth analyst on their list). But the reason I bring up Young is because A) he’s from South Australia and B) he’s more expendible imo than most would believe.

I think Port lost another defender to the saints as well and also Trengrove couldn’t find a position anywhere. He “can” play anywhere on the ground but couldn’t lock down any spot so I think it’s more than just “Trengrove couldn’t find a spot in the backline”.

And you could be right, port may not want another key defender (and I haven’t done an in depth analyst on their list). But the reason I bring up Young is because A) he’s from South Australia and B) he’s more expendible imo than most would believe.

Fair enough. Your view, in my view

A - Port are set for tall backs IMO and that was a reason they were happy to let Trengove go noting most think back was his spot.

B - Young is nothing special at present and worth little IMO. would prefer to keep as a speculative punt.

C - Young would be absolutely of no value or enticement in Port trading Wines to us IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back