Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough.

FWIW, I think the doggies will be open to moving on one of Libba or Wallis, probably Libba.

We'll see what time brings.
I've heard that all our inside mids will be going to North at the end of the season. So that solves the oversupply problem.

Why do I keep hearing that Crozier will play in defence for us?
Has someone at the club said something? Is he only training with defenders?
When he was recruited I was struck by references to his skills and straight kicking.
This says forward, and that's where I'd hope to see him to play, given the number of defenders we've got and our hopeless goal kicking last year.
Did you miss the memo where it said that the Bulldogs are doing away with nearly all traditional positions on an AFL field. They will instead be playing 2 mobile ruckman and 18 Half Back Flankers.

I've heard that all our inside mids will be going to North at the end of the season. So that solves the oversupply problem.

We've got it well and truly covered with Cunnington, Ziebell, LDU, Dumont and a couple of project players.

The only FA I reckon we might be interested in is Dalhaus.

We've got it well and truly covered with Cunnington, Ziebell, LDU, Dumont and a couple of project players.

The only FA I reckon we might be interested in is Dalhaus.
Far out. You guys will have way too many inside mids when you get all of ours!

Far out. You guys will have way too many inside mids when you get all of ours!

I actually came in here to have a proper discussion mate. Not interested in rubbish.

I actually came in here to have a proper discussion mate. Not interested in rubbish.
Sorry, I am being a bit of a goof. Look, I don't think our number of inside mids is an issue. We have faced it in the past and the only players who seem to get moved on are our fringe players. Look at Hrovat and Stevens. Given Wallis and Libba's latest form we might be able to get them on lesser contracts as well, and certainly there trade currency wouldn't be as good as in the past.

However, they are the type of players you don't lose unless there is some other reason. I think this year will see Wallis and Libba both play towards their best again in any event and they, together with Bont and Macrae will be pretty much untouchable. West will probably need a bit of time to develop as well.

In any event, our teams mantra is flexibility. Given that and the fact that Macrae plays a bit on the outside and Bont and Wallis go forward sometimes I think it will be a non-issue.

Greetings woofers.
How do you folks see your inside midfield list management playing out considering the highly touted Rhylee West looks to be arriving at the end of 2018?

I see Libba and Wallis both come out of contract.

Is there room on the list for West, Bont, Libba, Macrae and Wallis, or will the dogs be open to moving along one of Libba/Wallis at the end of the season? Cab the Dogs play all 5 at once?

Don't expect West to be a huge factor in 2019 leaving the other 4 who were all best 22 in the flag year. Dare say If Wallis was fit he would have played in the GF too. None of them are old in footy terms. Wouldn't expect any of the 4 to go after 2018 and hope none of them do, but thought that of Stringer too this year. Nothing's guaranteed I suppose. Expect McLean, Dale, Jong and perhaps JJ to provide the outside run and the balance required in the midfield this and subsequent years.

Yep.

The round 4 (vs Bulldogs) 33 disposal, 20 contested possession, 10 clearance pensioner and 27 disposal, 17 contested disposal, 8 clearance B grader, the highest touted midfielder in last years draft plus a couple of project players, see's us going alright in that area.

Do you have anything to contribute that is remotely related to my initial question?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep.

The round 4 (vs Bulldogs) 33 disposal, 20 contested possession, 10 clearance pensioner and 27 disposal, 17 contested disposal, 8 clearance B grader, the highest touted midfielder in last years draft plus a couple of project players, see's us going alright in that area.

Do you have anything to contribute that is remotely related to my initial question?
It’s not about how many touches you get, it’s what you do with them. I call it ‘Bontempelli’s Law’

Yep.

Yeah. There's plenty of room in the kennel for a bunch of father-son inside mids. If your midfield was truly fine your club wouldn't be offering every out-of-contract mid 2 million a year only to get rejected. And you wouldn't be sniffing around on our board because you heard we might have an excess of mids in 2019 and beyond.

It's probably been about 5 years since I last visited, but I remember when you used to be able to get a decent footy discussion on this board.

You came to ask about us possibly letting go a father son player. That is either trolling or naive.... father sons are highly loved by supporters and few would ever want them to leave.

Perhaps you could have asked about the other two inside mids who are out of contract? That may have got a discussion.

It's probably been about 5 years since I last visited, but I remember when you used to be able to get a decent footy discussion on this board.

You still can, but feel free to come back in 5 years....

C'mon Snake. Your post was clearly a not so thinly veiled troll, evidenced by the fact that you named Tom Liberatore as the one most likely to be let go without bringing a shred of analysis as to why this is likely to happen, the subtext however was quite apparent. Saying that it was Mabo, the vibe or anything else that you could've pulled out of your arse would've given you more credibility. That you then come back after being called on it with the completely disingenuous claim that you were looking for a serious discussion is just plain laughable.

Don't stay away so long next time, you're funny.

Last edited:
C'mon Snake. Your post was clearly a not so thinly veiled troll, evidenced by the fact that you named Tom Liberatore as the one most likely to be let go without bringing a shred of analysis as to why this is likely to happen, the subtext however was quite apparent. Saying that it was Mabo, the vibe or anything else that you could've pulled out of your arse would've given you more credibility. That you then come back after being called on it with the completely disingenuous claim that you were looking for a serious discussion is just plain laughable.

Don't stay away so long next time, you're funny.

Not a troll mate.

You have a very flexible multi dimensional midfield that can absorb a good amount of inside work, but with the inclusion of West I see the dogs becoming a little top heavy in one dimensional inside midfielders, and market forces could force them to resolve the situation by releasing one of them.

I am aware that Libba has had his issues, but I also believe he would attract more market interest than Wallis.

It's absolutely hilarious that Essendon have suddenly turned Stringer into a midfielder on the back of an eight second, slow mo clip of him playing in the guts.

Stringer can be a very, very good player, but a midfielder he isn't. I honestly don't know why they wouldn't just leave him up forward next to Daniher and watch them kick 50+ goals each..

It's funny, on the topic of inside mids, some teams struggle so much to draft them for some reason. Outside of Watson's 2012 season I can't remember when they last had a elite contested mid? Since then we've had Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dahlhaus, Boyd, Griffen and (for parts of seasons) Wallis.

They should've thrown the sink at Hopper.

Fair enough.

FWIW, I think the doggies will be open to moving on one of Libba or Wallis, probably Libba.

We'll see what time brings.
Not really sure what’s happened here with a lot on here giving you crap for some reasonable queries.

My opinion, I think Libba will come good this season and we won’t have anything to worry about. Clearly in our best 3-4 players when right and is just too good a footballer to piss it up against the wall right now.

Wallis on the other hand, I’m not sure. Good on the inside, great hands and was outstanding for parts in 2015. That said he has plenty of limitations.

I genuinely think 2018 is a real crossroads year for him. Great guy and all and I hope he savages this season but another ordinary year then yeah I don’t think he’s all that safe.

All premiership teams need to have a deep and contested midfield.

Richmond. Martin, Cotchin, Prestia.
Dogs. Bont, Lib, Macrae.
Hawks. Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell.
Swans. Kennedy, Jack, Hannebery.
Cats. Bartel, Corey, Selwood.
Pies. Swan, Pendles, Sidebottom.

If Rhylee West is that good then he'll have no problems contributing to our team from 2020 onward.

Not really sure what’s happened here with a lot on here giving you crap for some reasonable queries.

My opinion, I think Libba will come good this season and we won’t have anything to worry about. Clearly in our best 3-4 players when right and is just too good a footballer to piss it up against the wall right now.

Wallis on the other hand, I’m not sure. Good on the inside, great hands and was outstanding for parts in 2015. That said he has plenty of limitations.

I genuinely think 2018 is a real crossroads year for him. Great guy and all and I hope he savages this season but another ordinary year then yeah I don’t think he’s all that safe.
I think Wallis is gonna have a great year. Only have to go watch his game vs Geelong to know he is a bloody good footballer.

Only query I have on him is he almost always plays his best footy when Lib is out of the team. I can't think of a game he's dominated at the level where Tom has played. Which is weird seeing as they've played together since they were 14.

Maybe we need to push Dahl and Macrae more outside to let Wallis/Lib/McLean/Bont be the main dudes in the middle.

Last edited:
It's absolutely hilarious that Essendon have suddenly turned Stringer into a midfielder on the back of an eight second, slow mo clip of him playing in the guts.

Stringer can be a very, very good player, but a midfielder he isn't. I honestly don't know why they wouldn't just leave him up forward next to Daniher and watch them kick 50+ goals each..

It's funny, on the topic of inside mids, some teams struggle so much to draft them for some reason. Outside of Watson's 2012 season I can't remember when they last had a elite contested mid? Since then we've had Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dahlhaus, Boyd, Griffen and (for parts of seasons) Wallis.

They should've thrown the sink at Hopper.
Vanilla midfield hence Jake is needed to try add x-factor there.

Dons had there weaknesses and they haven’t addressed them in the off season at all IMO. Going to be good to watch when they’re on but no-one wins flags with a bunch of highlight reel recruits. And their bad days will be so, so awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back