Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I like Wingard I think he's an awesome footballer and better than Gaff, but Gaff is good too. And the coin they're asking for is processor similar. Assuming Wingard deal is pick 7 and on the other hand getting Gaff loses the Dahlhaus compo, the equation is

Wingard
Pick 25ish (whether used for points or trade in another player)

Vs

Gaff
Pick 7

Much as I love Wingard you lose the opportunity to bring in great talent if you trade rather than bring in free agents. So I'd prefer to be going flat out at Gaff.

Wingard for 7 would still be a good deal in isolation though.

Port Adelaide's tall defender stocks seem a bit iffy. Dougal Howard played a lot of games this year and he's ordinary. I wonder if Lewis Young would appeal.

Hmm. I like Wingard I think he's an awesome footballer and better than Gaff, but Gaff is good too. And the coin they're asking for is processor similar. Assuming Wingard deal is pick 7 and on the other hand getting Gaff loses the Dahlhaus compo, the equation is

Wingard
Pick 25ish (whether used for points or trade in another player)

Vs

Gaff
Pick 7

Much as I love Wingard you lose the opportunity to bring in great talent if you trade rather than bring in free agents. So I'd prefer to be going flat out at Gaff.

Wingard for 7 would still be a good deal in isolation though.
Sorry Man but what the F#$k are you on about???

For one there is zero and let me say that again ZERO chance Gaff is coming to the Dogs it is Norf or stay at the Eagles that is it.
and Second your post makes no sense

Been away and still catching up on 7 pages

Superb post. The idea that young players can only develop playing seniors is absurd. Take a look at sam weideman if anyone needs a ridiculously recent example.

And I’m with Beveridge. I wouldn’t be shocked if we make a run at it next year.

I doubt we make a run at it and I don’t want to be accused of avoiding trading people in because obviously that’s not the case. I personally thing players who have the physical capabilities of playing senior football develop quicker and to a better end than those who play 2s. Weideman wasn’t physically ready for AFL earlier and yes, he’s a terrific case to put forward, but there are many others who have proven it wrong.

We’ll agree to disagree.

It’s not the concept, it’s the player - I just can’t see Lloyd being anything other than a waste of time.

Despite some denials, multiple sources in past 2-3 weeks adamant WESTERNBULLDOGS have been going hard for @chadwingard20 ... the finisher club needs and very close friend of @Jacksontrengove ... @7NewsMelbourne

Now we’re talking. A quality player who makes us better.

Pick 7 for wingard and 45.

Id still try and flip Dahlhaus compensation for another forward half player (billings, Atkins etc) as well.

Picks 45 (pushed back to around 50 after compensation), and our 2 third rounders would be enough to match a bid for west at around pick 12/13.

Agreed.

The Chad would be our 'Silk'.

Sure seems unlikely. But gee he'd be awesome.

Would consider this and next yrs firsts. 25 yr old dual AAs dont fall off the back of trucks.

100% agree.

Is this the point at which the whining and whinging about ‘we are never linked to good players’ stops ???

Not directed to you, just in general

We just never get them. Being linked means bugger all. Like having a drink with a hot babe but never closing.

I hope we finally get a gun like Wingard. But I'll beleive it happens for the Dogs when I see it.

Is there a pre heated, no waiting time required, prime aged (25) and instant best 18 player offering what we don't have available in the top 10 of the draft? Didn't think so.

Why are people crying over pick 7!? Not like we are forfeiting quality youth this year, West is very good. And we already have a very solid group of 22 and under players we have to run in.

Wingard is exactly the type of mature i wanted us to go for... just maybe not someone so punchable, but perhaps colours can change the heart.

If we don’t finish bottom 4 I will be stunned

Seriously mate how can you honestly think we can make a run at it? I respect your opinion but cannot work out the positivity for vast improvement. Please explain ?

Wouldn’t be the first time you’ve been stunned, ey?

204FA06E-8D34-4DFE-A347-E3AAC5D7B51A.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is the list of pick 7's to go in previous drafts

And people here wouldn't give that up for WIngard??? A 25 yr old dual AA. Pick 7 even in recent years has been speculative whether they would even get near the talent of Wingard.

7 Chris Lindsay North Melbourne West Torrens 1986
7 Darren Davies Western Bulldogs North Hobart 1987
7 Leon Cameron Western Bulldogs South Warrnambool 1988
7 Stephen Edgar Carlton East Fremantle 1989
7 Damian Hampson Carlton Subiaco 1990
7 Jeremy Guard Fitzroy Claremont 1991
7 Wayne Hernaman Richmond South Fremantle 1992
7 Chris L. Johnson Fitzroy Northern U18 1993
7 Tony Brown St Kilda Geelong U18 1994
7 Ben Edwards Fremantle Claremont 1995
7 Bowen Lockwood Port Adelaide Geelong U18 1996
7 Kris Massie Carlton Dandenong U18 1997
7 Josh Carr Port Adelaide East Fremantle 1998
7 Danny Roach Collingwood Tasmania U18 1999
7 Laurence Angwin Adelaide Dandenong U18 2000
7 David Hale North Melbourne Broadbeach 2001
7 Andrew Mackie Geelong Glenelg 2002
7 Kane Tenace Geelong Murray U18 2003
7 Jordan Lewis Hawthorn Geelong U18 2004
7 Patrick Ryder Essendon East Fremantle 2005
7 Joel Selwood Geelong Bendigo U18 2006
7 Rhys Palmer Fremantle East Fremantle 2007
7 Daniel Rich Brisbane Lions Subiaco 2008
7 Brad Sheppard West Coast East Fremantle 2009
7 Josh Caddy Gold Coast Northern U18 2010
7 Nick Haynes Greater Western Sydney Dandenong U18 2011
7 Ollie Wines Port Adelaide Bendigo U18 2012
7 James Aish Brisbane Lions Norwood 2013
7 Paul Ahern Greater Western Sydney Calder U18 2014
7 Jacob Hopper Greater Western Sydney North Ballarat U18 2015
7 Jack Scrimshaw Gold Coast Sandringham U18 2016
7 Hunter Clark St Kilda Dandenong Stingrays 2017
2004 to 2012 picks were nearly all absolute guns. Lately not so much, but I wouldn't want to pay much more than pick 7 if that's what we'd potentially be giving up to get Wingard

A more Machiavellian theory would be that we only recruited Trengove to get Chad. :eek:

Reckon player power has devolved AFL trading enough that recruiting 'stablemates' is almost realistic.

We just never get them. Being linked means bugger all. Like having a drink with a hot babe but never closing.

I hope we finally get a gun like Wingard. But I'll beleive it happens for the Dogs when I see it.

It can be a rewarding experience having a drink with a woman (or as you say "hot babe") without having sex with her.

Women aren't just there to service your desires.

Come on mate, I can’t fix ALL the complaints in one post.... :p

I hear you, but it has at least put a bit more interest into our off season than Steeggles Chooks or whoever....

We are obviously looking for a classy forward match winner, which is encouraging.

If it's a move by Port to get ahead of Wingard's FA year next year and get more value for him, hopefully our first round next year (you'd think they'd expect us to finish below them, so should be better than the compo) plus Dahl compo should be attractive to them. And then we get to keep 7 like I really hope we do.

If though, as I expect, they are keen to get their hands on one of the standout SA kids (Rankine or Rozee the most likely), and that's why they are making him available, then the deal doesn't happen without pick 7.

I'd rather do 2019 1st + Dahl compo than pick 7, for what it's worth.

Hell I'd even throw in Adams or whatever we get for him to keep pick 7.

It can be a rewarding experience having a drink with a woman (or as you say "hot babe") without having sex with her.

Women aren't just there to service your desires.
The Elephant in the room is that BRWB might be there to simply service theirs...

and yes i said theirs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back