Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draft picks are kinda overrated. Yes you need them to build a team, but we’ve done that part.

Wingard is a 40 goal a year small forward who can play midfield. You’d pay pick 7 in the draft for that.

Wallis - Schache - Gowers
Wingard - Boyd - Dickson

That resembles something close to a functioning forwardline.
Wingard could be the the piece that sees Wallis move on? Interesting?

I'll have to re-watch the last few Port games, because the Wingard I saw in round 23 was putrid. Overusing the footy, desperate to handpass instead of find an option by foot. Definitely looked like a different player to the AA forward from seasons ago.

Plus, we have enough mids. Need some blokes that can finish plays

Um, that's what Wingard does.

Because of the Kardinia Park advantage they enjoy and whilst they have a strong, mature team, they’ll beat up on the younger teams and the interstate teams who come over, but unfortunately I can’t see them getting past a Semi in the near future. They would dream about having the younger talent we have.

With their mantra, which is great at keeping you in the finals, they’ll never see top end talent come through. They’ll attract 150 game ok players (Henderson/S Selwood etc) who will keep them competitive, but those players aren’t winning them a premiership IMO. I honestly have said this for 4 years - I think the Hawthorn method which was so successful during the GC/GWS years and subsequently the Sydney and Geelong method, is outdated.

You still need to build around a group of young draftees, the way Geelong and the Hawks did in their premiership years, and add to that. Not bring players in to be the core. I just can’t see that being successful. It’s why I’m so bullish on us and Melbourne. Drafted well, well coached and a core of talent. St Kilda should be better but drafted poorly so haven’t had the return on that period at the bottom they should have.

Others are right, you dream about drafting a player like Wingard at 7. He’s an utter no brainer.

Couldn't agree more.

Cats are desperately trying to remain relevant hence their 'who's a former local, how good are they? Who cares, just get them' approach.

I'm all in on Wingard. All in.

Wingers (autocorrect so I’m going with it) can go missing at times but his best is very very good and he was decent on the back 9 of the season.

No

Didn’t he go up there as part of the fitness coaching panel and then get drafted??

Or am I mistaken ???
He was an uncontracted player signing - we got a third rounder in compo for him - he was then delisted and worked for the NEAFL side before getting re-rookied after a couple of years on staff.
3rd longest time ever taken to reach 50 games from debut.

Disagree on Geelong. Watch them push for top 4 again next year. 13 finals in 15 years. Decent.

Their strategy is simple. Get good players and try and win. Not bad.
I'm going to have to disagree.
The best summary I heard was 'their forwards either tackle, or kick goals,but none of them do both'.

If they get Pruess from North they are maybe a sneaky chance but they have a cliff looming. Ablett isn't his old self and their best players are all heading into 'calf injury' territory.

Because of the Kardinia Park advantage they enjoy and whilst they have a strong, mature team, they’ll beat up on the younger teams and the interstate teams who come over, but unfortunately I can’t see them getting past a Semi in the near future. They would dream about having the younger talent we have.

With their mantra, which is great at keeping you in the finals, they’ll never see top end talent come through. They’ll attract 150 game ok players (Henderson/S Selwood etc) who will keep them competitive, but those players aren’t winning them a premiership IMO. I honestly have said this for 4 years - I think the Hawthorn method which was so successful during the GC/GWS years and subsequently the Sydney and Geelong method, is outdated.

You still need to build around a group of young draftees, the way Geelong and the Hawks did in their premiership years, and add to that. Not bring players in to be the core. I just can’t see that being successful. It’s why I’m so bullish on us and Melbourne. Drafted well, well coached and a core of talent. St Kilda should be better but drafted poorly so haven’t had the return on that period at the bottom they should have.

Others are right, you dream about drafting a player like Wingard at 7. He’s an utter no brainer.

They are about to lose too many senior players. Can't replace all at once.

Getting players in clumps is the key. Draft a lot around the same age. Like 5-6 early picks 1-3 round for two to three years plus some mature rookies who are hard trainers. Establish who is good and rid yourself of the excess ASAP. Then add players slightly older and younger by trading out draft picks and/or those who you don't want. Continue to add mature talent until the main core is too old and then start again.

Simple recipe....

Is a fairly simple concept. If we have $1M in cap space I'd prefer to go after a free agent star and keep our trade assets, rather than go after a contracted star and lose our trade assets.
We are losing Dahlhaus, possibly Roughead and Wallis to Free Agency. Signing a FA would affect any compo we get.

Wingard is the best case scenario for what the player we draft at 7 turns into.

Just use 7 to get him.

Rankine looks to me like a one-sided Andrew McLeod which I would take over Wingard. That guy was obscenely dangerous - opposition players were witches hats to him, and could kick them from anywhere.

but there are so many IFs.

If we can get Wingard with 7, then you do it.

If we get Wingard we will have an abundance of silky left footer ball users. Bont, Macrae, Suckling and the Chad. Not including Hunter here.

Please just get him here now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No

Didn’t he go up there as part of the fitness coaching panel and then get drafted??

Or am I mistaken ???
he signed as a player then become the welfare/fitness coach when delisted. Played in the NEAFL while also as a runner and got redrafted

If we get Wingard we will have an abundance of silky left footer ball users. Bont, Macrae, Suckling and the Chad. Not including Hunter here.

Please just get him here now.

Richards, Libba, crozier, Schache.

Not including naughton here.....:)

I’m all for getting the Chad but it will cost a bit for a 25 year old 2x all Aust

How can we keep him but retain pick 7 ?

Dahl compo plus a player ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m all for getting the Chad but it will cost a bit for a 25 year old 2x all Aust

Whatever it takes.

Hang on, scratch that. I feel like a club has run into trouble with that mantra before.

Just do it. Nobody is using that are they?

Wingard seems like the perfect fit but i don't know how i feel about the Chad. He is no doubt a superstar when on and can do things most can't on a footy field, but i'm not sure how often you get that.

That said i wouldn't be upset if he ends up in a red, white and blue jumper next season.

Regardless as others have said it is good to see that the recruitment team are chasing the types of players we need.

We won't get him without using pick 7. More than happy to include that, he's everything we need in a player and is at the right age to explode into a superstar. Forward nous, speed, skills, X factor, arrogance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back