Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe my eyes. Trading Daniel would be a disastrous decision. Speaking of him next to Lewis Young as though they're of equal or comparable value is also staggering. CD is a star. Would be worth a pick between 10-20 in his own right. Young has played 9 games and shown promise but is still only worth maybe pick 35 or something like that

I’m not advocating trading him, just hypothesising as to what Port may request in return. I’m also not comparing the relative value of Daniel vs Young, however I doubt Daniel would net a 10-20 pick on his own. But like most people on here, these are just opinions, none of us are Sam Power... or are we? :think:

Good point. Is it even possible to trade a rookie? Wouldn't it simply be a case of his contract expiring and us picking him up as a DFA?

This is something I found from the AFL website:

Rookie List

A rookie list player who retires is not eligible to be a free agent.

A first-year rookie not receiving a second-year rookie contract offer is considered a delisted player and therefore is an unrestricted free agent.

A first-year rookie not accepting a second-year rookie contract offer is not considered a delisted player and must nominate and go through the draft.

A second-year rookie not accepting a third-year rookie contract offer is considered a delisted player and therefore is an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency
Biggs was a rookie - you can trade them.

Meh makes no difference unless they sign.

Look at North & St Kilda who have thrown money at everybody but nobody has taken it. Interestingly, it's funny how North have got all the jokes about players rejecting them when St Kilda has been doing the exact same thing but goes unnoticed

Even more humorous when you consider they've probably recruited two of the more successful free-agents since the systems inception in Waite and Higgins..

Would be good if:
- wingard this year likely to involve pick 7
- Stengle for not much
- Hartley from Essendon as his not getting a go in the seniors and he is much better than Roberts and Collins (Morris to retire soon and who knows about Adams)
- Kelly next year by trading 2019,and 2020 first round picks

Talk of us getting Tigers rookie small forward Stengle.

Why would the Tigers trade a rookie?
Tyson won't break into their 22 with the amount of small forwards they have.

Best to free it up and bring in another young player or take a shot at a VFL player in the rookie draft

I think it would take.

Pick 7 + Daniel/Young or compo pick.

Dare I say it they may ask for 7 and Williams which I would refuse.

Pick 7 + future second.

I’d still trade Daniel if it helped us get an A grader. He’s just got so many things that hold him back.
Cannot agree at all with trading Daniel. His latter season role as a sweeper in the backline was indeed A grade. Further, what are the "so many things that hold him back"? If you are referring to his lack of height I think that's compensated by his excellent reading of the play and accurate disposal. Why would we trade a player who has found his niche in the team and has become one of our most important players?

Would be good if:
- Stengle for not much
- Hartley from Essendon as his not getting a go in the seniors and he is much better than Roberts and Collins (Morris to retire soon and who knows about Adams)
Would need some tissues if that happened, but Hartley ruined the mood. The rest would be a dream.

What I was told from someone with dubious links to the club so take it as it is. Wingard's manager has had a few chats with the Dogs he is asking 900k a season 5 year deal would prefer to stay at Port but there is not much love coming back his way from them feel that Port are trying to palm him off before he hits free agency next year and they want the best possible chance to get one of the Adelaide based top end draftees. No discussions have taken place Between Dogs and Port at this stage. The Dogs will part with current pick 6 and 42 (likely pick 7 and around 50 ish) and want back either ports current 21 or 27 wherever they end up.

EDIT:
Forgot to add also steak knives Port pick from end of draft.
And at least 4 other Vic clubs shown strong interest also.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not advocating trading him, just hypothesising as to what Port may request in return. I’m also not comparing the relative value of Daniel vs Young, however I doubt Daniel would net a 10-20 pick on his own. But like most people on here, these are just opinions, none of us are Sam Power... or are we? :think:
Yeah, your post wasn't but others were. Interesting, I'd be very shocked if the industry thought he was worth less than pick 20. As you say, all just opinions!

Port and the Crows being so desperate to lock away Rankine, Lukosius and Rozee makes it handy for the rest of us. Port getting pick 7 for Wingard may help them nab one of them.

Yeh it may or it may not.
This is why live trading would be best to include players on draft night.

If the Suns go 2/3 Adelaide kids then there is only 1 left by 7.
Lions or Freo are decent chances to grab the one that slips through.

Port fans would pull the joint down I reckon if they traded Wingard for 7 and none of the Adelaide kids got to pick 7.
Imagine one of them did though and Port trumped Adel (who have the next pick) - The same fans would be loving it getting one up on em.

What I was told from someone with dubious links to the club so take it as it is. Wingard's manager has had a few chats with the Dogs he is asking 900k a season 5 year deal would prefer to stay at Port but there is not much love coming back his way from them feel that Port are trying to palm him off before he hits free agency next year and they want the best possible chance to get one of the Adelaide based top end draftees. No discussions have taken place Between Dogs and Port at this stage. The Dogs will part with current pick 6 and 42 (likely pick 7 and around 50 ish) and want back either ports current 21 or 27 wherever they end up.

EDIT:
Forgot to add also steak knives Port pick from end of draft.
And at least 4 other Vic clubs shown strong interest also.
Please do not take this as having a go, because I’m not. But I think all of that could be taken as a summary of the last 10 or so pages of this thread with a couple of assumptions thrown in to fill the gaps.

Please do not take this as having a go, because I’m not. But I think all of that could be taken as a summary of the last 10 or so pages of this thread with a couple of assumptions thrown in to fill the gaps.
All good brother I was just posting what I was told if you think I made it up from last 10 pages good for you for being a cynical bastard, Not having a go

Is a fairly simple concept. If we have $1M in cap space I'd prefer to go after a free agent star and keep our trade assets, rather than go after a contracted star and lose our trade assets.
Sorry was late at night and half asleep My apologies but stand by Gaff part of what I said

Would be good if:
- Stengle for not much

Yeah getting Wingard and Kelly in 12 months "would be good"... maybe even understating a bit :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back