Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where would you play Bruce my man? It’s a tricky one.

Both smith and Bruce would be salary dumps, so I agree they wouldn’t cost the world via trade.
I'd have Naughton more up the ground and almost roaming the 50m arcs and having a free license. I'd have Bruce a little closer to goal and Schache playing that Gunston/Tom Lynch sort of role.

I think Naughton and Bruce are quick and mobile enough to be able to provide good forward pressure to allow us to play 3 talls, but the beauty of these 3 is that I think all 3 roles would be interchangeable throughout a game.

Could be getting dangerously close to having decent key position stocks here, I'm a bit scared and confused by it all tbh

I hope you are right but ............

So many times over so many years I have got excited about the stories of who the Dogs are going to get during the upcoming trade period only to have nothing actually eventuate. So many times ...

Mitch Brown is a player I hope the club enquires about. He may get squeezed out when Daniher returns. 3rd tall who roams up the ground and consistent goal kicker - reminds me a bit of Gunston. He is about 28 and wouldn’t cost much.

I'd have Naughton more up the ground and almost roaming the 50m arcs and having a free license. I'd have Bruce a little closer to goal and Schache playing that Gunston/Tom Lynch sort of role.

I think Naughton and Bruce are quick and mobile enough to be able to provide good forward pressure to allow us to play 3 talls, but the beauty of these 3 is that I think all 3 roles would be interchangeable throughout a game.
I agree with this.

In many ways, we already do this with Naughton, Schache, Dickson, Lloyd and Dale being a 5 way rotation of mobile marking options. More often than not, Dale or Dickson are playing in the traditional full forward position, with Naughton and Schache pushing up to the flanks and wings. It's more about discombobulating the opposition defensive structures than anything.

Having another even bigger mobile guy into the rotation would not be a problem.

We need some currency to get Keath and Martin. Wallis to Geelong makes sense to me. He will get more opportunities there in the long run. Can't just push him out but only if he wants to rather than being stuck as a small Forward.
Wallis signed with the Bulldogs last year on less money then he could get elsewhere. Gellong can't get Charlie Constable in their side despite excellent VFL form as an inside mid. I can't see this happening.

I'm not against Martin (at the right price) but my problem with this argument is that you could substitute any name in there if Bont and Macrae are drilling bullet passes onto their chest.

What I'd love to find are more players who can get a fair bit of footy and deliver those bullet passes inside 50! They'll make any half-decent forward look good.
Mitch Honeychurch. Ayce Cordy. Nick Bruton.

I detect a wee flaw in that hypothesis...

Regardless of my feelings for Martin, don’t think we get him. 5 other clubs many of whom have indigenous programs better than ours (especially Hawthorn).
It's difficult, we need indigenous players to attract indigenous players but we can't attract indigenous players in the first place because we don't have any.

I'd still consider Karl Amon for a wing spot, 24 years old and having his best career year in a team that is diabolical at times. He's gettable and won't cost much at the trade table or in contract terms. Has pace.

----
Of course all of that is true DW and we don’t have access to almost all of the relevant information to make list decisions.

But what we do know, and what has been discussed here, is the following:

1. The list needs to get older
2. We need picks/points for NGA and potential father/son in 2020.
3. We have an extraordinary amount of cap space

With all that in mind, surely this is the year to trade our picks and fill needs.

And our needs are:

1. Key defender
2. Small forward
3. Key forward depth.
4. Outside run/class

Which is why guys like Keath, martin, AMT, Isaac smith, Florent and Bruce are being discussed here.
Although we don't have access to a fair bit of info (especially individual salaries) we could in fact construct a hypothetical plan based on reasonable assumptions and risk management, and then join a number of other publicly known dots. That's what I referred to as "our own imagined version" and I expect it'd be a plausible approximation of where Power is at. It'd be an interesting exercise to whiteboard it (over a few coffees ... or froffies) with some knowledgeable types here but that's not really practicable.

Your list of three "what we knows" is a good starting point.

The things that are harder to guess at are:
  • What is on Bevo's shopping list? (either "I need one of those" or perhaps he wants specific players)
  • Does Bevo have a slightly different role in mind for some of our emerging players? (eg will Naughton stay forward, could Richards become one of those "outside run/class" players once he has another season under his belt?)
  • Who have we been courting over the longer term (I reckon most trades are not knee-jerk bargains but the result of longer term negotiations)
  • How currently listed players are assessed (who would have expected us to extend Cal Porter for instance? are the injuries to Libba and Wallis likely to end their careers? Is Ben Cavarra - once fit - seen as a viable answer to the small forward problem?)
  • Have we prescribed minimum skill sets or threshold attributes to match Bevo's vision for the side (eg must have good disposal, talls must be mobile/agile, must have a tank, leadership, mongrel, etc). As an example consider the importance sometimes ascribed to Hawthorn having good foot skills across the board during their three-peat.
  • What areas do we think are single points of failure and need insurance? For instance if Tim English or Aaron Naughton get a long term injury is our season stuffed? And are our current options (Sweet, Trengove) adequate cover for English?
  • How do we assess the draft points needed in 2020 for a clutch of good FS/NGA prospects?
I still think we could make reasonable assumptions for each of these.

However in the absence of such a comprehensive plan I think the best we can do is discuss your list of needs for this year. All the players you mention make sense so it gets back to price and availability.

I do agree that this is a year to hit the trades hard. All the ducks are lined up for it. Normally I love being able to keep our first draft pick but as it's going to be outside the top dozen maybe it's not as significant this year. We certainly don't need more than one or two 18yos added to the current list. We'll have a few of those coming in 2020.

Mitch Brown is a player I hope the club enquires about. He may get squeezed out when Daniher returns. 3rd tall who roams up the ground and consistent goal kicker - reminds me a bit of Gunston. He is about 28 and wouldn’t cost much.
I agree he’s serviceable and perhaps a little underrated but much more of a plodder than Gunston.

As depth I wouldn’t be totally against it as cover for say a Schache.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Naughton moves back even if we get Bruce. I think he plays higher up the ground as a true chf. Forward line next year could be...

Schache Naught Lloyd
*** Bruce Dale

*** = Martin / MTW / other small

I’m not sure. I can’t see us playing 3 talls as we need room in the 7 man fwd line to fit resting/high half fwd mids.

Mitch Honeychurch. Ayce Cordy. Nick Bruton.

I detect a wee flaw in that hypothesis...
LOL. I did say "half-decent". Besides Ayce and Bruton didn't have the benefit of Bont and Macrae in the midfield.

(Wow! Nick Bruton ... you've got a long memory ... played two games in 2003! Aggregate disposals - 1 HB :poo:)

YOUNG Gold Coast star Jack Martin has officially requested a trade from the club.
The 24-year-old, who is out of contract, has played 97 games for the Suns since making his debut in round one of 2014.
The skilful and versatile mid-sized player joined the club as a 17-year-old during the club's expansion period in 2012.
"Jack Martin has informed the club that he will request a trade during the exchange period next month," Gold Coast general manager of football operations Jon Haines told the club website.
"Jack and his manager will work through his options, as will the club's list management team, in a bid to get the best possible outcome."

Martin a super player is the most ridiculous statement of all time.

A bloke who got dropped from the worst team arguably in the past 5 years.

FMD the Martin hype is ridiculous.
Suspect Martin was dropped and not played by the sun's cos they know he is out of there.
Not disagreeing with your post by the way.

Herald sun article about Martin saying we are the front runners.

Would people prefer Marting on say 700 or AMT or 600. For me i would rather Martin.

Maybe I’m still overhyping Martin from his junior days but I still think he can be a gun in this league if he is in the right situation (ie not at Gold Coast).

Jake Carlisle is up for grabs. If his body checks out he would slot in nicely. I doubt it would be huge dollars or high pick.

I like it.

The bloke is a cancer & I’ve got a source who says he holds the Guinness world record for amount of dickhead tests failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back