Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we should pick up Rowe. He’s an actual crumber. At worst, he gives us cover for Weightman that is an actual forward and not just one of our positionless smalls.
A small forward that doesn't pressure is a liability in today's game. Not sure how people don't see this.

With our really tall forward line our forward pressure needs to be elite otherwise teams will be strolling out of our forward line and people will be complaining about our defensive structure.

I made it quite clear my thoughts on Rowe as a footballer but I’m sorta coming along to the idea. A small forward who doesn’t pressure isn’t ideal in the slightest but admittedly he is a natural crumber and a good finisher which is what we’re lacking and need pretty desperately with our new forward line. He will add something different and would much prefer that over a McComb type whose a kid not a forward.

Give him his last shot and see if he can squeeze any more athletically out of himself over the preseason & make it known if he does not chase & tackle he will not play AFL again and who knows could be a good freebie as there will be a heap of opportunity for him in our forward line.

Cody & Rowe the goal kicking smalls, West & McLean the tackle machines, and JJ with the speed & class. Cody, West & Tobes are very very good defensively even if they’re not necessarily the quickest smalls around. I think that mix is right.

Every other player in our forward line alongside the big trio needs to be a genuine small, no Hannan hybrids pls
We can draft another one too but I’m not sure we have the picks for Clarke, think there will be better options on the board & he won’t slip to 39
I think we assume that these players, especially young players don’t have any further development or learnings in their forward craft. We have seen this to be wrong time and time again. Stengel the most recent, Ablett snr, was let go by Hawthorn originally in a previous example.

A small forward that doesn't pressure is a liability in today's game. Not sure how people don't see this.

With our really tall forward line our forward pressure needs to be elite otherwise teams will be strolling out of our forward line and people will be complaining about our defensive structure.

Ok so short of materialising a high pressure goal kicking forward out of nothing, we should pick up Rowe.

Josh Dunkley is hoping to set a precedent that out of contract AFL players are granted their trade requests.

The new Lion’s declaration comes after a trade between the Western Bulldogs and Lions for Dunkley went down to the wire, only receiving official verification with just minutes to run in the trade period.
comes after his trade request to Essendon two years ago was spectacularly denied, with the Dogs and Dons disagreeing on his trade value.

“I was sort of having some demons from a couple of years ago when it (wasn’t) happening,” Dunkley admitted to Sportsdayabout Wednesday evening.

With one request blocked and one granted in the space of three trade periods, Dunkley is uniquely placed to offer insights into player movement.

The AFL’s equalisation measures have been questioned in recent weeks following a fruitful trade period that saw several youngsters move soon after being drafted.

GWS football boss Jason McCartney also admitted the club had to be careful of which draftees to choose given the go-home factor.

But Dunkley believes there should be more player movement across the 18-club competition, calling for it to go both ways with team and player.

“It’s obviously a talking point that everyone is starting to be more aware of because of the American sports and the way they can move around,” the 25-year-old began on the topic of player
“I know there were (numerous comments during the week) that said clubs should probably have more freedom to trade on players if they’re not required. I think it should go both ways if that’s the case.

“Players, I think, if you’re out of contract, you’re out of contract. You’ve had that period of time trying to negotiate something (so then it should be easier to move).

“The free agency is obviously an easier way to do it but I think if you’re out of contract, I think it should be a blanket rule across the board that because you’ve had that time to negotiate a contract that if you choose to move on, then that should maybe be the way you go.”

36 players moved over the 2022 trade and free agency period, well up from the 20 who had moved at this time in 2021.

Dunkey signed a six-year contract at Brisbane and suggested the key reason behind his move north was the lifestyle.

Ok so short of materialising a high pressure goal kicking forward out of nothing, we should pick up Rowe.

Yeah. You teach him to apply pressure. Even James Cook applied a diving tackle inside 50 once. Forward craft much harder to teach than tackling and applying pressure. Not saying Rowe is a solution to all, but worth a rookie spot.

Rowe kicked over 80 goals over two years as a 19-20 year old in the best state league in the country, also in the (anecdotally) hardest position on the ground.

Most Adelaide supporters would prefer to keep him over the players they have kept in those roles. Also they all agree he was played too high and not in his deep forward role he was drafted from.

Adelaide supporters have pointed out that he is a good kick inside 50.

He is also a great set shot which we need bad.

His cons are his defensive pressure and that he has a massive head.

I imagine we will wait until after the draft before we sign him, in case we use our last selection or not.

He's a free swing and we were keen in 2020.

We also only have one small forward on the list lol.

Could we just remember that this thread is about List Management. As it stands at present, we have gained 2 players and lost 4 (including rookies), so simple maths would tell us that we have only 2 positions available. We are likely to delist at least 1 (maybe more), but until this is known, how about we refrain from suggestions that we pick up other teams' cast-offs merely as they are now delisted free agents?

Could we just remember that this thread is about List Management. As it stands at present, we have gained 2 players and lost 4 (including rookies), so simple maths would tell us that we have only 2 positions available. We are likely to delist at least 1 (maybe more), but until this is known, how about we refrain from suggestions that we pick up other teams' cast-offs merely as they are now delisted free agents?
Wow people are discussing list management in the list management thread, crazy

You need to remember it is about list management, not just adding additional castoffs just because they are there. It's all about list numbers too, if you can understand that.:think:
Wait, you weren’t joking? This thread literally exists to discuss potential club acquisitions, amongst many other things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Dunkley is hoping to set a precedent that out of contract AFL players are granted their trade requests.

The new Lion’s declaration comes after a trade between the Western Bulldogs and Lions for Dunkley went down to the wire, only receiving official verification with just minutes to run in the trade period.
comes after his trade request to Essendon two years ago was spectacularly denied, with the Dogs and Dons disagreeing on his trade value.

“I was sort of having some demons from a couple of years ago when it (wasn’t) happening,” Dunkley admitted to Sportsdayabout Wednesday evening.

With one request blocked and one granted in the space of three trade periods, Dunkley is uniquely placed to offer insights into player movement.

The AFL’s equalisation measures have been questioned in recent weeks following a fruitful trade period that saw several youngsters move soon after being drafted.

GWS football boss Jason McCartney also admitted the club had to be careful of which draftees to choose given the go-home factor.

But Dunkley believes there should be more player movement across the 18-club competition, calling for it to go both ways with team and player.

“It’s obviously a talking point that everyone is starting to be more aware of because of the American sports and the way they can move around,” the 25-year-old began on the topic of player
“I know there were (numerous comments during the week) that said clubs should probably have more freedom to trade on players if they’re not required. I think it should go both ways if that’s the case.

“Players, I think, if you’re out of contract, you’re out of contract. You’ve had that period of time trying to negotiate something (so then it should be easier to move).

“The free agency is obviously an easier way to do it but I think if you’re out of contract, I think it should be a blanket rule across the board that because you’ve had that time to negotiate a contract that if you choose to move on, then that should maybe be the way you go.”

36 players moved over the 2022 trade and free agency period, well up from the 20 who had moved at this time in 2021.

Dunkey signed a six-year contract at Brisbane and suggested the key reason behind his move north was the lifestyle.
Seriously just **** this guy.

One guy I wouldn’t miss that’s for sure
Grown to very much dislike (boardline loathe) him during this last month.

Glad this cancer is out of our club, have a feeling he was half the problems he was bitching about.

you do realise that’s what this thread is created for talking about what players we can pick up and improve the list.
Of course, and there are some very good suggestions from some posters, but unfortunately our total list numbers are limited and until we make delisting(s), our new additions are limited to just 2 at present and I believe these 2 positions should be filled by young draftees given our pretty good draft picks.

I wonder if we could look at Jarrod Brander for a rookie spot. Just delisted by the Giants after a stint with WC, he was a very high draft pick a few years ago. He's very mobile, quick for his size (195cm), a very good mark and can play forward or back. Has played some footy as a back and may be sufficiently adaptable to fill a role there with us. Just an idea.

Of course, and there are some very good suggestions from some posters, but unfortunately our total list numbers are limited and until we make delisting(s), our new additions are limited to just 2 at present and I believe these 2 positions should be filled by young draftees given our pretty good draft picks.
Martin, Butler and Wallis out = 5 list spots. Plenty of room for a delisted free agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back