Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if we could look at Jarrod Brander for a rookie spot. Just delisted by the Giants after a stint with WC, he was a very high draft pick a few years ago. He's very mobile, quick for his size (195cm), a very good mark and can play forward or back. Has played some footy as a back and may be sufficiently adaptable to fill a role there with us. Just an idea.

Josh Schache mark 2

Josh Dunkley is hoping to set a precedent that out of contract AFL players are granted their trade requests.

The new Lion’s declaration comes after a trade between the Western Bulldogs and Lions for Dunkley went down to the wire, only receiving official verification with just minutes to run in the trade period.
comes after his trade request to Essendon two years ago was spectacularly denied, with the Dogs and Dons disagreeing on his trade value.

“I was sort of having some demons from a couple of years ago when it (wasn’t) happening,” Dunkley admitted to Sportsdayabout Wednesday evening.

With one request blocked and one granted in the space of three trade periods, Dunkley is uniquely placed to offer insights into player movement.

The AFL’s equalisation measures have been questioned in recent weeks following a fruitful trade period that saw several youngsters move soon after being drafted.

GWS football boss Jason McCartney also admitted the club had to be careful of which draftees to choose given the go-home factor.

But Dunkley believes there should be more player movement across the 18-club competition, calling for it to go both ways with team and player.

“It’s obviously a talking point that everyone is starting to be more aware of because of the American sports and the way they can move around,” the 25-year-old began on the topic of player
“I know there were (numerous comments during the week) that said clubs should probably have more freedom to trade on players if they’re not required. I think it should go both ways if that’s the case.

“Players, I think, if you’re out of contract, you’re out of contract. You’ve had that period of time trying to negotiate something (so then it should be easier to move).

“The free agency is obviously an easier way to do it but I think if you’re out of contract, I think it should be a blanket rule across the board that because you’ve had that time to negotiate a contract that if you choose to move on, then that should maybe be the way you go.”

36 players moved over the 2022 trade and free agency period, well up from the 20 who had moved at this time in 2021.

Dunkey signed a six-year contract at Brisbane and suggested the key reason behind his move north was the lifestyle.
What the hell is he even trying to say? That whole interview makes no sense. "There should be a blanket rule that if you're out of contract you're free to move on" is how it already works!

I wonder if we could look at Jarrod Brander for a rookie spot. Just delisted by the Giants after a stint with WC, he was a very high draft pick a few years ago. He's very mobile, quick for his size (195cm), a very good mark and can play forward or back. Has played some footy as a back and may be sufficiently adaptable to fill a role there with us. Just an idea.
He is going back home and has signed on to play with Wentworth in the league based around Mildura.

What the hell is he even trying to say? That whole interview makes no sense. "There should be a blanket rule that if you're out of contract you're free to move on" is how it already works!

Is he saying that if someone is out of contract, that the receiving team shouldn't have to trade for them? They should just be able to walk to their new club? Essentially every out of contract player is an unrestricted free agent...

Hmm yeah I don't see any potential problems with that.

Our midfield looks good on paper but so does every other top 8 midfield. I don’t really think we have that big (if any) of an advantage. Is Bont, Macrae, Libba, Treloar really that much better than Trac/Oliver/Viney/Langdon or Neale/Mcluggage/Zorko/Lyons/Bailey/Dunkley or Parker/Mills/Heeney/Warner or Bolton/Martin/Prestia/Cotchin/Taranto/Hopper or Cripps/Walsh/Hewitt/Cerra?

All those midfields look pretty good on paper.

Our midfield looks good on paper but so does every other top 8 midfield. I don’t really think we have that big (if any) of an advantage. Is Bont, Macrae, Libba, Treloar really that much better than Trac/Oliver/Viney/Langdon or Neale/Mcluggage/Zorko/Lyons/Bailey/Dunkley or Parker/Mills/Heeney/Warner or Bolton/Martin/Prestia/Cotchin/Taranto/Hopper or Cripps/Walsh/Hewitt/Cerra?

The midfield is no longer the only strength, if Ugle Hagen improves as expected I think the side has the best group of tall forwards in the league. Keath and Jones were both not far off all Australian level a year ago also.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s definitely back to the pack but it’s still just as good as any going around.

Weird to leave out Baz but include Langdon, Zorko, Bailey, Lyons, Heeney etc

Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Libba, Baz with English/Lobb compares equally or favourably to

Oliver, Trac, Viney then depth drops off, Langdon is a winger so doesn’t really fit here at all - obviously the Gawn/Grundy duo could be a huge difference though.

Neale, Mcluggage, Dunks with Bailey, Zorko, Ashcroft rolling through is now one of the better ones

We still beat Carlton’s & Sydney’s who have a great top end in Cripps, Walsh, Cerra & Mills, Parker, Warner but they lack the depth of ours and if Bont/Macrae find their best we still probably beat them top end.

Tigs have probably the best now that’s hard to beat with top end, depth and the chop out types that can roll through. Good rucks too

English/Lobb should be comparable to all of Carlton, Swans, Lions ruck groups IMO and probably better if English finds his best form

We’ve definitely lost a bit of an edge where we had a clear depth advantage to other teams but it’s not like that mix was working for us anyway, I’m glad to lose that edge and gain in other areas like our spine & ruck department. And even still I think you could quite easily make the argument we’re still in the top 2 or 3

It’s definitely back to the pack but it’s still just as good as any going around.

Weird to leave out Baz but include Langdon, Zorko, Bailey, Lyons, Heeney etc

Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Libba, Baz with English/Lobb compares equally or favourably to

Oliver, Trac, Viney then depth drops off, Langdon is a winger so doesn’t really fit here at all - obviously the Gawn/Grundy duo could be a huge difference though.

Neale, Mcluggage, Dunks with Bailey, Zorko, Ashcroft rolling through is now one of the better ones

We still beat Carlton’s & Sydney’s who have a great top end in Cripps, Walsh, Cerra & Mills, Parker, Warner but they lack the depth of ours and if Bont/Macrae find their best we still probably beat them top end.

Tigs have probably the best now that’s hard to beat with top end, depth and the chop out types that can roll through. Good rucks too

English/Lobb should be comparable to all of Carlton, Swans, Lions ruck groups IMO and probably better if English finds his best form

We’ve definitely lost a bit of an edge where we had a clear depth advantage to other teams but it’s not like that mix was working for us anyway, I’m glad to lose that edge and gain in other areas like our spine & ruck department. And even still I think you could quite easily make the argument we’re still in the top 2 or 3
Like your points but not sure I agree with this.

I’d argue GWS had a better midfield with Hopper and Taranto (complimented by Coniglio and Kelly etc) in it than Richmond will next year with those names, and their midfield wasn’t really a strength this year. Martin and Cotchin are very close to (if not already) cooked. They’ve gone chips in but I suspect they’ll be very Hawthorn when Clarkson brought in O’Meara, Mitchell etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like your points but not sure I agree with this.

I’d argue GWS had a better midfield with Hopper and Taranto (complimented by Coniglio and Kelly etc) in it than Richmond will next year with those names, and their midfield wasn’t really a strength this year. Martin and Cotchin are very close to (if not already) cooked. They’ve gone chips in but I suspect they’ll be very Hawthorn when Clarkson brought in O’Meara, Mitchell etc.
Yeah quite possible, probably one to wait and see on and they probably have the biggest range - if Taranto & Hopper find their potential early on and Prestia stays fit then they’ll be quite dangerous with Bolton & Martin coming through, Cotch still there albeit not at his best and a good ruck duo. But admittedly it’s a big if

You can't have JUH on a wing. He came to the club as a true forward and switching him around will affect his confidence. Not to often you get a true forward with his ability. It's like putting Barry Hall on a hbf.

If Darcy comes along in leaps and bounds and demands a spot in the forward line I'd give it a try. Though I'm reminded of the time Knightmare made a mid-year AA squad and put Naughton on a wing.
In fairness if it was 2021 he was often playing as a high half forward taking a lot of marks up up the ground. Knightmare does have a weird thing about key position wingers though.

Last edited:
You can't have JUH on a wing. He came to the club as a true forward and switching him around will affect his confidence. Not to often you get a true forward with his ability. It's like putting Barry Hall on a hbf.
People way too often refer to the examples of Richo and Riewoldt on the wing when trying to justify moving young talls there, but fail to recognize these blokes were 10+ year veterans whose read of the play and physical development were second to none. JUH would struggle on a wing

Watching Bevo coaching another club would be like watching the love of your life hooking up with another bloke.

These public pleas for Bevo to 'come back home' to Stkilda is making me feel uneasy.

Hopefully they announce Ross soon.

Last edited:
Have to admit I'm feeling more positive about Lobb.
Looks good in the club colours and speaks well.
Already calling the Dogs "we".
Perhaps now he's resolved his personal situation we can hope for an even better year than the one just past, his best so far.
In fact, I'd suggest he will do more for the Dogs than Dunkley does for Brisbane.
The three tall forwards look imposing if we can figure out how best to use them.

I agree and look at it this way as well
What makes it hard for our midfield is our low tap-out rate
The teams you listed only one has less and that’s Carlton
All teams in the eight, rate above us for tap-out
Two teams lose the opponent comparison, Sydney and us
My conclusion is that until we improve our tap-out rate our mid-field will struggle

Personally I have always hated Rory Lobb. The bloke looked like a regular kent the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back