Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I agree the club's VFL reviews feel like a primary school report, Raak has been playing up the ground and mostly forward the last two weeks.
How do you see his future with us? Does he have one at senior level?

(This is not a loaded question. I haven't seen much of him so I'm genuinely interested. He seemed to have a fantastic mental attitude when we drafted him.)

How do you see his future with us? Does he have one at senior level?

(This is not a loaded question. I haven't seen much of him so I'm genuinely interested. He seemed to have a fantastic mental attitude when we drafted him.)

I honestly think it's 50/50 at the moment, I had high hopes for Raak but obviously hasn't done enough to earn a spot but who actually knows how our selection works? If O'Donnell who has played a grand total of 8 matches of Australian rules football at any level in 3 years is getting games ahead of Cleary, Raak and the like then there is really no point in trying to predict what's going to happen.

Raak is a pretty accurate kick so the switch forward may be warranted given our accuracy issues at both senior and reserve levels.

Last edited:
I honestly think it's 50/50 at the moment, I had high hopes for Raak but obviously hasn't done enough to earn a spot but who actually knows how our selection works? If O'Donnell who has played a grand total of 8 matches of Australian rules football at any level in 3 years is getting games ahead of Cleary, Raak and the like then there is really no point in trying to predict what's going to happen.

Raak is a pretty accurate kick so the switch forward may be warranted given our accuracy issues at both senior and reserve levels.
JOD was better than Gards at VFL level when they were playing in the same team and both in the backline. I understand JOD being selected on an absolute basis but not to play a completely different role versus where he justified that selection.

There TYou have to read them with ‘damning with faint praise’ in the front of your mind.
More along the lines if you can't say anything nice about somebody talk a lot about their contextless statistics.

Club: "Player X was ran some very nice patterns out there today as he worked his way into the game. He finished with 11 kicks and 3 handballs. We are very pleased with how he's tracking"

Anybody watching at home: Player X ran around without any real purpose. He finished with 11 kicks and 3 handballs with an effective disposal rate somewhere around 10%. How is this guy still on the list?!
Although I agree the club's VFL reviews feel like a primary school report, Raak has been playing up the ground and mostly forward the last two weeks.
Sure, I wasn't talking about any player in particular. I was referring to the uselessness of the clubs reporting on player performance.

I dont expect the club to be as honest or at times brutal in their views as we here can be, but what the club puts out in this regard has all of the insight of a blank page. It does neither the player nor the reader any real justice.

More along the lines if you can't say anything nice about somebody talk a lot about their contextless statistics.

Club: "Player X was ran some very nice patterns out there today as he worked his way into the game. He finished with 11 kicks and 3 handballs. We are very pleased with how he's tracking"

Anybody watching at home: Player X ran around without any real purpose. He finished with 11 kicks and 3 handballs with an effective disposal rate somewhere around 10%. How is this guy still on the list?!

Sure, I wasn't talking about any player in particular. I was referring to the uselessness of the clubs reporting on player performance.

I dont expect the club to be as honest or at times brutal in their views as we here can be, but what the club puts out in this regard has all of the insight of a blank page. It does neither the player nor the reader any real justice.
Correct. How the club thinks this will wash with fans is beyond me. Anyone who is at least semi-conscious can see these reports are a crock. In terms of PR they actually send the club backwards.

Correct. How the club thinks this will wash with fans is beyond me. Anyone who is at least semi-conscious can see these reports are a crock. In terms of PR they actually send the club backwards.

The only thing I’ll say in mitigation is the intention might just be for broad content aimed at content hungry children and normie supporters that aren’t nuffified to the extent they’ll spend any actual time on a weekend watching a struggling VFL team for hope like us.

I hope the club join the race for Tom De Koning, imagine our rucks then, English and De Koning. Both young, would solve our rucks for a number of years.

I hope the club join the race for Tom De Koning, imagine our rucks then, English and De Koning. Both young, would solve our rucks for a number of years.

We can’t play De Koenig forward as Lobb is there.

Not sure we need to enter the race unless English is going.

The only thing I’ll say in mitigation is the intention might just be for broad content aimed at content hungry children and normie supporters that aren’t nuffified to the extent they’ll spend any actual time on a weekend watching a struggling VFL team for hope like us.
giphy.gif

I think the simple reality is that they have to put something...anything out.

Im not sure that even Shakespeare was a good enough wordsmith to polish the turd that has been the depleted Footscray side this season. So I dont envy whomever gets the hospital pass on a weekly basis. Even if their reports have the nourishment of a dry Salada, I have to admit having a grudging respect for their absurd creativity.

In the end Im certain that it's not much of a driver of traffic through the site. Even if it is indeed directed at small children and animals.

It gives me another chance to amuse myself and waste a few minutes when I should be working.

I don't think we should be investing our resources into a developing tall. Clubs seem to pay a premium for these types of players and we already have enough on the list. I'm happy with the English & Lobb/Darcy combo moving forward.

To be honest I don't think DeKoning is that good in any position. The hype seems to be that he is ok in a few positions and he has time to develop but I don't know if he becomes any more than serviceable at any role.

I also think that O'Donnell has the traits to be a great backman. Why he is being played forward baffles me.

Someone who I wouldn't mind having a look at bringing in is Schonberg from Adelaide. Was a good aggressive and defensive inside mid who improved late in his draft year but can't get a look in at Adelaide.

Might be a good low cost acquisition to beef up our midfield stocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can be hard for players who get no continuity to develop. Hes a flawed player at the moment, but I like what he does bring - a nice mixture of speed, hardness and swagger. Hoping for mid-late career bloom like EAstonWood if he gets manages to string a few seasons together without injury

Just rewatched his draft video and I think he played back? Always wants to take off and break lines and seems like a good exponent of the real/fake overlap handball while doing it. Jeez we need more of that in this team. Im not sure his long kicking is very accurate, so moving back makes some sense - the space in front of him gets bigger rather than smaller

Last edited:
I'm all for a clean out but 8 is way too much in one season.
Only if you're going to the draft with them all.
Assuming one player brought in via trade, another by free agency, JOD basically being another brought in. 5 new draftees isn't a big deal when 2 are first round picks and a few others are clearing off the rookie list.

Add the preseason list spot we seem to keep for guys like Baker and Scott, the 8 off the list is fine.

Assuming one player brought in via trade, another by free agency, JOD basically being another brought in. 5 new draftees isn't a big deal when 2 are first round picks and a few others are clearing off the rookie list.

Add the preseason list spot we seem to keep for guys like Baker and Scott, the 8 off the list is fine.
We couldn't trade in a decent player draft croft and still have decent picks left over.

With Doedee doing his ACL, I don’t think there’s much left in free agency outside of average players (eg Silvagni) and veterans. Only big names are basically Himmelberg who is getting unrealistic offers, Parish who is an awful fit, and Jade Gresham who is overhyped and probably gets more at Saints anyway.

Could maybe see us bringing in Matt Flynn if Sweet leaves, or Riley Bonner if Duryea retires. That’s pretty much it

Who are they?
I can only come up with
Hannan, McComb, and Raak.
This year I'd get rid of:
McComb, Hannan, Raak, McLean (cooked), O'Brien, Duryea (retire)

End of next year:
Keath, Crozier, Khamis, R Smith, Bruce

Would want to show something:
Bedendo, West, Garcia, Poulter.

I'm not convinced about Baker and Scott, either.

I expect a lot of players to go over the next two years.

We have guys playing twos in their late 20's. If you're playing VFL for any more than 2-3 weeks at a time when you're 28, you're done.

This year I'd get rid of:
McComb, Hannan, Raak, McLean (cooked), O'Brien, Duryea (retire)

End of next year:
Keath, Crozier, Khamis, R Smith, Bruce

Would want to show something:
Bedendo, West, Garcia, Poulter.

I'm not convinced about Baker and Scott, either.

I expect a lot of players to go over the next two years.

We have guys playing twos in their late 20's. If you're playing VFL for any more than 2-3 weeks at a time when you're 28, you're done.
Baker and Scott are great depth players who'd be on below average wage, which is the same reason we've kept Roarke so long. I'd be happy to see Scott extended even further beyond his current contract.

If the Suns pick stays around 6-8 I could see us offering our two firsts for it, to take a skilled and athletic mid like Wilson, Duursma or McKercher. We might be able to get one of their picks in the 20s back to match a bid for Croft.

Get one of those mids, Croft and upgrade one or more of our rookies and/or take a late flyer on other needs.

Sign a FA wingman like James Jordon.

Not overly exciting and not the depth overhaul we need but realistically could see something like this happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back