Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with having such a strong but ageing midfield is that most young midfielders that enter the trade market are looking for more opportunity to play through the middle of the ground. "Yeah, look mate, we see you playing a role similar to Bailey Smith - moving around a bit, going through the middle at times - but if you work really hard, once Libba and Treloar retire sometime in the next 1-3 years there's a spot for you" is a hard sell when compared to other sides.

I've said a few times that Bont in his Boyd/Pendles/etc era is going to be insane. Of course, I hope he's a genuine mid for many years to come, but an intercepting defender with his ability to distribute in space will be a great watch.
With his hips I'll be surprised if he plays much past 30

Assume they will cut Sam Hayes, just swaps jumpers at the airport
Sweet is an upgrade on Hayes. Most AFL listed rucks are.

With his hips I'll be surprised if he plays much past 30
What's the story these days with his hips? Obviously it was an issue in his early 20s and was clearly hampering him at times, but he's looked a lot more free in his movement, especially since 2020. Seems to just get some unrelated niggles here and there. Haven't heard about his hip in yonks.

Has his hip actually troubled him in the last 6 years? Still gets brought up yet I can’t remember one time it’s been an issue outside of the one season…. Bont is durable as *, he’ll play til 34 minimum - obviously not as a midfielder
He seemed to be hampered last year with a range of issues
I'm a little concerned he plays through injury so much - he's tougher than he gets credit for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a lot of KPP'S but we still desperately need quality.

Jones has 2 more years.

JUH, Naughton are definite quality

Darcy has a massive upside

JOD and Buss show signs

Other than that we are very thin

If Croft is 70% as good as the reports we have to take him. We are not a club who brings in quality players for good value.

It is important not to throw resources at anything below A graders. We need to look at drafting some quality mids so we need to keep as much of our resources as possible

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need a proper crumbing forward. Weightman plays so similarly to Billy Elliot and Lincoln McCarthy it's not funny. He is not really a front and square player, he almost plays as a leading small target.
We need a tiprat that is right under Naughton and JUH's feet.

We need cleaner, faster link up players that run both ways. I’m all for Henry. He’s never going to be very good inside, but he is a very good runner. He reminded me of Hawthorn Brad Hill last week. Play him to his strengths and he will be a weapon.

West and McNeil had good days to their standards, but they’re just not good enough link up players at the moment as they aren’t one touch footy players. And that’s something you either have or you don’t. West is also very poor on transition defence which was noticeable last night. He probably has one more year to get his fitness in order or it will cost him a career.

Also think we need to add another rotation to the midfield. I really liked Elijah Hollands when he got drafted. He also looked like a player that could play a secondary position which is important.

I’m also combining picks and trading up in the draft as high as possible to try get a a grader.

What is up with B Smith, he seemed disinterested last night lacked even more defensive run, no intensity and kicking was at its usual atrocious level.

Pretty happy with Caleb Poulter for game #2.

Another 4 score involvements (after 5 last week), 4 intercepts, 387 metres gained (behind only Daniel and Bont) and a lovely goal from outside 50 adds up to a solid contribution. Ran his butt off all night too.

Reckon our list management group have done really well post trade/draft period.

Adding 3 youngish guys in positions of need (Baker, O'Donnell and Poulter) for nothing has been solid work.

What is up with B Smith, he seemed disinterested last night lacked even more defensive run, no intensity and kicking was at its usual atrocious level.
Interesting how we all see it differently. Thought his role in the team is the problem as the masterminds have not worked out how to use his pace. How about putting him at the back of the throw ins on the loose man and overlap that pies destroyed us with in the middle quarters.

He is an absolute key, one of the few who has real pace in the team.

Of course it is also a genius move to keep maccrae out of CB’s but you can be assured that no changes will be made as that is not the way of those in charge.

Interesting how we all see it differently. Thought his role in the team is the problem as the masterminds have not worked out how to use his pace. How about putting him at the back of the throw ins on the loose man and overlap that pies destroyed us with in the middle quarters.

He is an absolute key, one of the few who has real pace in the team.

Of course it is also a genius move to keep maccrae out of CB’s but you can be assured that no changes will be made as that is not the way of those in charge.
Listening to Bevo in the press conference it sounds like Smith is carrying an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back