Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is what Jon Ralph said last night for anyone that missed it

‘INSANE MONEY’: DOGS DUO SET FOR BIG PAY DAYS

In-demand Dogs duo Tim English and Aaron Naughton’s next contracts could both be worth over $1 million per season as a result of the new AFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, according to Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph.

The Western Bulldogs stars, who both hail from Western Australia, are contracted until the end of 2024 but remain on the radar of several.
English, whose partner Rudi Ellis plays netball for the West Coast Fever, is a free agent in 2024, whereas Naughton would just be out of contract.

Speaking on Fox Footy on Friday night, Ralph said English and Naughton would be paid handsomely when they sign their new deals.

“The big task for the Bulldogs is signing those big fish from Western Australia,” Ralph told Fox Footy.

“Tim English is a free agent next year, Aaron Naughton is out of contract next year but not yet a free agent – and clubs are already asking him to break his contract, the likes of Sydney and West Coast.
“Manager Andrew McDougall has parked talks until the end of the season. They’re both former housemates, they’ve both bought houses in Port Melbourne, they’re very happy in Victoria but the price is going to be the issue.

“English would be the All-Australian ruckman, you’d think. The price for those players is set. We’ve seen with Brodie Grundy, $1 million and the likes of Luke Jackson and also Max Gawn, $900,000 a year. So by the time the AFL negotiates that maybe 30 per cent pay rise over the next four years, we could be seeing these players (command) $1.1 million or $1.2 million a year from the start of 2025.

“I know it’s insane money, it’s just going to be the new standard.”

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge last month said his club would “pull out all stops” to keep English and Naughton.

Meanwhile, Ralph also reported Bulldogs free agent Bailey Williams was on the cusp of putting pen to paper on a contract extension, which is expected to be confirmed in the coming weeks.

our 2 first rounders to Gold Coast for Flanders and their first , draft Ryley sanders Croft and Lual. Future second for Henry. 2024 premiership at our mercy 😂
Would change our midfield mix which is in need of the injection of a different element. Some breakaway speed genuine dash is sorely required to make us less predictable post 1st possession

We need a proper crumbing forward. Weightman plays so similarly to Billy Elliot and Lincoln McCarthy it's not funny. He is not really a front and square player, he almost plays as a leading small target.
We need a tiprat that is right under Naughton and JUH's feet.

I think Charlie Clarke will be that in time

We have a lot of KPP'S but we still desperately need quality.

Jones has 2 more years.

JUH, Naughton are definite quality

Darcy has a massive upside

JOD and Buss show signs

Other than that we are very thin

If Croft is 70% as good as the reports we have to take him. We are not a club who brings in quality players for good value.

It is important not to throw resources at anything below A graders. We need to look at drafting some quality mids so we need to keep as much of our resources as possible

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hoping Croft's value stays at pick 19 in the latest power rankings so that we can take 2 mids and then match Croft with later picks. Help refresh the bottom part of the list

Pretty happy with Caleb Poulter for game #2.

Another 4 score involvements (after 5 last week), 4 intercepts, 387 metres gained (behind only Daniel and Bont) and a lovely goal from outside 50 adds up to a solid contribution. Ran his butt off all night too.

Reckon our list management group have done really well post trade/draft period.

Adding 3 youngish guys in positions of need (Baker, O'Donnell and Poulter) for nothing has been solid work.

What would his metres gained be if he didn’t run the wrong way in the first qtr 😁

Loved it when he got the ball next time we all yelled that way pointing to our forward line.

Last edited:
If Bevo bases the off season recruiting by how well players play against us

Surely we are throwing the bank at isaac quaynor

I think Charlie Clarke will be that in time
You think?
I hope so but he had 8 possessions on the weekend.
2 kicks and 6 handballs 1 tackle and a rating of 22
That doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence Cudi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think?
I hope so but he had 8 possessions on the weekend.
2 kicks and 6 handballs 1 tackle and a rating of 22
That doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence Cudi.
It will be interesting seeing the careers of Clarke compared to Brayden George who we were tossing up between picking. Not writing Clarke off yet but looks a long way off it atm from what I’ve seen

It will be interesting seeing the careers of Clarke compared to Brayden George who we were tossing up between picking. Not writing Clarke off yet but looks a long way off it atm from what I’ve seen
Arthur Jones didn’t set the world of fire in his first year in the system. Some players just take longer to develop

I'd trade for Brockman well before Henry.
Certainly would be a more Moneyball pick. I am amazed at what Collingwood have done with smart trading and salary dumping. To me that is good coaching and great game plan.
I doubt if Oleg Markov, Nathan Murphy, Billy Frampton, Darcy Cameron or Bobby Hill came to us that they would be all in the team at once or playing like world beaters. That is purely great coaching and great system.
I don't have ANY confidence in our coaching group, starting at the top all through the assistants to be able to create a system where a discarded player from another club becomes a regular contributor for us.
That's a major problem.

Arthur Jones didn’t set the world of fire in his first year in the system. Some players just take longer to develop
Early in 2022 Arty showed a bit more than Clarke has to date.

However agree it’s too early to write him off. He’d want to have a big preseason though. Really needs to build his body looks as he looks very unfit for a league footy player (which is understandable given the interrupted pre season).

Certainly would be a more Moneyball pick. I am amazed at what Collingwood have done with smart trading and salary dumping. To me that is good coaching and great game plan.
I doubt if Oleg Markov, Nathan Murphy, Billy Frampton, Darcy Cameron or Bobby Hill came to us that they would be all in the team at once or playing like world beaters. That is purely great coaching and great system.
I don't have ANY confidence in our coaching group, starting at the top all through the assistants to be able to create a system where a discarded player from another club becomes a regular contributor for us.
That's a major problem.
We have chased that second ruck/forward a few times now. Soldo most notably (and Martin 4 years before we actually got him).
Bobby Hill had a bit of a bidding war for his services too, Essendon went hard.

I think we do ok for cheap pick ups. 50 games from Gardner as a MSD pick, Poulter looks good for a MSD pick, Baker DFA, McNeill PSD, Scott from our VFL program, and lets not forget 6 of 7 Premiership defenders were rookies/PSD/DFA/freebies.

Hoping Croft's value stays at pick 19 in the latest power rankings so that we can take 2 mids and then match Croft with later picks. Help refresh the bottom part of the list
Croft didn't get on the paddock today for VM and I suspect he's 2nd or 3rd in line for a VM KPF spot (Caddy clearly no 1)
Quite a few talls floating around this year so he could well slip.

Early in 2022 Arty showed a bit more than Clarke has to date.

However agree it’s too early to write him off. He’d want to have a big preseason though. Really needs to build his body looks as he looks very unfit for a league footy player (which is understandable given the interrupted pre season).
Remember reading young Clarke had a back problem in the pre season anyway I think he has shown glimpses

We have chased that second ruck/forward a few times now. Soldo most notably (and Martin 4 years before we actually got him).
Bobby Hill had a bit of a bidding war for his services too, Essendon went hard.

I think we do ok for cheap pick ups. 50 games from Gardner as a MSD pick, Poulter looks good for a MSD pick, Baker DFA, McNeill PSD, Scott from our VFL program, and lets not forget 6 of 7 Premiership defenders were rookies/PSD/DFA/freebies.
Yep but, they really still look like battlers in our current setup. Far different the incomers at Collingwood. I agree Bobby Hill was better than the rest at recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back