Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kiwi actor!
EFA.

Like the man, the legend John Clarke, it's hard to believe given how well they have mastered the strine.

Over whatever it is that Kiwis do to the English language.

Last edited:
If the Hawthorn offer is legit that’d give Geelong first round compensation surely?

7 and 8 for Baz and 10 who says no 🙃

I would argue that Ratugolea is basically an inferior version of Sicily/Jiath, rather than a genuine gun kpd and therefore a far from justifiable use of resources but I guess we all see it differently.
Both are way smaller and far better utilized as interceptors.

Esava might be way overpaid on that deal, but they do need a 'big' defender and have truckloads of cap.

The money for Logue, Corr, McKay etc suggests it's never been a more lucrative time to be a KPD.

Those of you tired of hearing me bang the below drum. Please forgive me or skip past if you haven't already.

Im not sure, my sense is that most of our goals come from kicks from outside 50 and contested marks i50.

I can't be certain but Id imagine that the vast baulk of our scoring comes from mark. kick. goals from Naughton, JUH, Lobb and Weightman.

One thing is certain Watching our side crab the ball around invokes thoughts of constipation.

Do we really press any higher than other teams though? From what I can tell all teams defensive lines begin across half back or higher when coming out of their own defence. The biggest issue that we had in this regard this season was the folly of playing 4 KPD. 3 of whom are not great users of the ball when in space. Let alone under pressure. I dont think it's an accident that we played our best football during a brief period when JJ, Dale and Richards were all in the defensive half.

The difference between the 2015 era team and this one is that former was a less talented but a much more even side than the current one. It also had teh massive benefit a rock solid core of hardened campaigners ( I mean that in th true sense not the Bigfooty one) who provided leadership across every line. I dont think we could say that about todays side. Where it's seems to be the Bont, Libba and Naughton who provide the spark to get the team up and about.

Ive said many times that in my view we have resorted to this style of play to cover our general lack of pace across the ground.

It's the same reason that we bring an extra to the contest. Its famine or feast we win the ball or it goes wide and coast to coast.

It's why Ive been decrying the state of our wingers all season. The filler that we've elected to rotate through there just dont provide the defensive coverage that a modern winger needs to. For all his faults this is where Lachie Hunter excelled.

The amount of i50 defensive work that he does is an vastly underrated by the commentariat who like to bag him for missing set shots.

It's not his job to be our best defensive forward. Indeed its an indictment on those around him.

He's one player that tends to leave it all on the field.

Yeah agreed it comes from marks inside 50 (mostly contested) but that’s still on the back of forward half turnover, rather than transition from half back.

When I talk about our high press I mean more in the way of how high our full back line is when we have the ball inside 50, I get most clubs do this to an extent but it’s quite noticeable live how high we push, we routinely have our last line of defence not that far back from our inside 50 line.

It turns the game into a grind which seems like what we’re going for, and can lead to repeat entries. But once they inevitably get it out the back and it’s a foot race we get mauled because we never have anyone sweeping out the back and our defence is slow by foot

Completely agree on Naughty, his work outside of the scoreboard is vastly underrated around here. We’ve been lucky in the last two years that he’s been relatively injury free, I think people would be mind blown as to how bad we’d be forward of the ball if he missed an extended period of footy, or got moved to defence full time.

The difference between the 2015 era team and this one is that former was a less talented but a much more even side than the current one. It also had teh massive benefit a rock solid core of hardened campaigners ( I mean that in th true sense not the Bigfooty one) who provided leadership across every line. I dont think we could say that about todays side. Where it's seems to be the Bont, Libba and Naughton who provide the spark to get the team up and about.

Ive said many times that in my view we have resorted to this style of play to cover our general lack of pace across the ground.

It's the same reason that we bring an extra to the contest. Its famine or feast we win the ball or it goes wide and coast to coast.

It's why Ive been decrying the state of our wingers all season. The filler that we've elected to rotate through there just dont provide the defensive coverage that a modern winger needs to. For all his faults this is where Lachie Hunter excelled.

My view on this is that our method under Bevo from 2015 to now has always been to move the ball from contest to contest and back in our ability to to win clearances and CPs and get the ball outside to move it to the next contest. This included a high press that sought to stymie opposition exits and force turnovers and stoppages in our front half. The biggest difference between then and now is in the way our opponents play, not the way we play. Teams don’t compress their stoppage set up or try to match our numbers at the contest to win the ball at the source the way they used to. They’re more prepared to back in their midfield and retain their shape rather than get sucked into the contest, and to take possession and start their attack deeper in their own territory. It often leaves us with +2 or +3 in an area where the ball no longer is.

Other than tweaks here and there, the way we play hasn’t changed much at all (since 2016 at least) despite the changes in personnel and in how our opponents play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could we take a punt on billing’s as a cheap wing option?

I reckon his better than anything we have currently if he gets his body right.
Well, he was taken in the draft before Bont, so he must be good....how ironical that 3 of the top 4 players would have played with us, if Billings came across.

My view on this is that our method under Bevo from 2015 to now has always been to move the ball from contest to contest and back in our ability to to win clearances and CPs and get the ball outside to move it to the next contest. This included a high press that sought to stymie opposition exits and force turnovers and stoppages in our front half. The biggest difference between then and now is in the way our opponents play, not the way we play. Teams don’t compress their stoppage set up or try to match our numbers at the contest to win the ball at the source the way they used to. They’re more prepared to back in their midfield and retain their shape rather than get sucked into the contest, and to take possession and start their attack deeper in their own territory. It often leaves us with +2 or +3 in an area where the ball no longer is.

Other than tweaks here and there, the way we play hasn’t changed much at all (since 2016 at least) despite the changes in personnel and in how our opponents play.
I totally agree with your analysis. The personal has changed but the game plan has essentially stayed the same.

Guys, I don’t want this to come across as harsh but can we please use the words his and he’s correctly in posts?

His is a possessive adjective. “he hurt his knee”

He’s is short for he is “He’s not going to play this weekend because he’s sh*t”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I have found the term ‘Guys’ condescending as f**k for 4-5 years. Stop using it or I will report you to Mutt, who will refer me somewhere else (black hole, fake naughty section).

‘Guys’ is so non-offensive, it is actually offensive and weak.

Alternative terms such as ‘fellow posters’ would be more appropriate. ‘Guys’ assumes it’s only blokes in here where women are definitely participating in this work of art - our thread.

I think we can refer to the big footy western bulldogs posters as ‘blokes’ and it should be fine. It is 2023 and wokeism peaked 18 months ago.

Last edited:
It’s a losing battle, I’ve raised this a number of times.

And be mindful of your spelling

Sauce
71dCoLAWz1L.jpg

Source

1693471850812.jpeg

I have found the term ‘Guys’ condescending as f**k for 4-5 years. Stop using it or I will report you to Mutt, who will refer me somewhere else (black hole, fake naughty section).

‘Guys’ is so non-offensive, it is actually offensive and weak.

Alternative terms such as ‘fellow posters’ would be more appropriate. ‘Guys’ assumes it’s only blokes in here where women are definitely participating in this work of art - our thread.

I think we can refer to the big footy western bulldogs posters as ‘blokes’ and it should be fine. It is 2023 and wokeism peaked 18 months ago.
And be mindful of your spelling

Sauce
71dCoLAWz1L.jpg

Source

View attachment 1791210

Does it get on your nerves when people say "Arksk" instead of "Ask" ?
Drives me bonkers.

Guys, I don’t want this to come across as harsh but can we please use the words his and he’s correctly in posts?

His is a possessive adjective. “he hurt his knee”

He’s is short for he is “He’s not going to play this weekend because he’s sh*t”
Footy can FRO. Off season is officially under way!

Yeah agreed it comes from marks inside 50 (mostly contested) but that’s still on the back of forward half turnover, rather than transition from half back.

When I talk about our high press I mean more in the way of how high our full back line is when we have the ball inside 50, I get most clubs do this to an extent but it’s quite noticeable live how high we push, we routinely have our last line of defence not that far back from our inside 50 line.

It turns the game into a grind which seems like what we’re going for, and can lead to repeat entries. But once they inevitably get it out the back and it’s a foot race we get mauled because we never have anyone sweeping out the back and our defence is slow by foot

Completely agree on Naughty, his work outside of the scoreboard is vastly underrated around here. We’ve been lucky in the last two years that he’s been relatively injury free, I think people would be mind blown as to how bad we’d be forward of the ball if he missed an extended period of footy, or got moved to defence full time.

I think we're all essentially saying versions of the same thing.

I understand the rationale for it, but in my view Beveridge needs to stop trying to protect our mids and their perceived lack of outside pace.

He could do it in any number of ways but first amongst them should be...

Get a change in coaching philosophy. Doing as you guys note essentially the same thing over and over sure aint working.

Consign the great hope of 2023 where we started the year with as many as 8 195cm players in the team to the dustbin of history. I honestly believe that he played Bruce as a KPD not because we needed to but out of a misguided sense of loyalty to somebody he was very close to.

Settle guys into roles. Work out where Daniel, Williams, Smith, Treloar and Macrae fit first. Then work around that.

Either back them and let them play to their strengths by not always bringing extras up to the stoppage. It, like the handball happy nature of our side especially when under pressure only seems to make things worse. It just stifles freedom of movement as we play games of hot potato waiting for the tackle or turnover to happen. I suspect that if we move away from the played out game plan and move the ball quicker and directly then I'd be able to put away my meme about us being one paced through the middle. It's amazing how quick a side can look if they're moving the ball efficiently and with speed on it. I know this because we actually do this for periods of most games. Its something that commentators always pick up on when we play well for those 20 minutes of a game before invariably regressing to type when the pressure comes.

Display some creativity take a risk and roll guys like Dale, Richards and JJ through the middle of the ground/wings for period of the game. If for no other reason than to give the opposing coaches something to think about.

Rolling the likes of Baker or Poulter through there is only going to focus their attention on shutting down our real offensive weapons.

Install me as head of football.

Win premiership.

Easy Peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back