Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're all essentially saying versions of the same thing.

I understand the rationale for it, but in my view Beveridge needs to stop trying to protect our mids and their perceived lack of outside pace.

He could do it in any number of ways but first amongst them should be...

Get a change in coaching philosophy. Doing as you guys note essentially the same thing over and over sure aint working.

Consign the great hope of 2023 where we started the year with as many as 8 195cm players in the team to the dustbin of history. I honestly believe that he played Bruce as a KPD not because we needed to but out of a misguided sense of loyalty to somebody he was very close to.

Settle guys into roles. Work out where Daniel, Williams, Smith, Treloar and Macrae fit first. Then work around that.

Either back them and let them play to their strengths by not always bringing extras up to the stoppage. It, like the handball happy nature of our side especially when under pressure only seems to make things worse. It just stifles freedom of movement as we play games of hot potato waiting for the tackle or turnover to happen. I suspect that if we move away from the played out game plan and move the ball quicker and directly then I'd be able to put away my meme about us being one paced through the middle. It's amazing how quick a side can look if they're moving the ball efficiently and with speed on it. I know this because we actually do this for periods of most games. Its something that commentators always pick up on when we play well for those 20 minutes of a game before invariably regressing to type when the pressure comes.

Display some creativity take a risk and roll guys like Dale, Richards and JJ through the middle of the ground/wings for period of the game. If for no other reason than to give the opposing coaches something to think about.

Rolling the likes of Baker or Poulter through there is only going to focus their attention on shutting down our real offensive weapons.

Install me as head of football.

Win premiership.

Easy Peasy.

Seriously, are you available? This is precisely what is needed.

That isn’t his asking price and no club will pay him that over the duration of his contract.

He will get 650-700k in his first couple of years and it’ll average out to a 550-600k contract over the duration of it.

That is his asking price.

I’d expect Gallagher to play 8-12 games for us next year, across various outside roles. Super versatile.

I really don't like super versatile players under Bev.

Hopefully he settles players in positions and they are developed to play those positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't like super versatile players under Bev.

Hopefully he settles players in positions and they are developed to play those positions.
We can't complain about having "no plan B" and complain about players being too versatile

We can't complain about having "no plan B" and complain about players being too versatile

Plan B should not be tied to versatility of players.

We have versatility now but I cannot see Plan B.

Plan B should not be tied to versatility of players.

We have versatility now but I cannot see Plan B.
We do regularly change in game. Even in the swans game we switched from a handball back to handball forward game.

We've made plenty of in position changes during games this year.
The 'no Plan B' talk is a BigFooty myth. I'd question whether the lever is pulled quick enough or is the correct one, but changes definitely happen.

When I refer to “plan b” I don’t refer to players changing position.

Plan B to me is a tactical change. It might be deploying a mid to play a shutdown role. Or slowing down play midway through an opposition goal scoring surge.

Bevo lacks plan B in that regard. Tactical not positional.

You're much better keeping a player who might be past it in Duyrea, than keeping any of a large group of players on the list currently who have rarely if ever played well. It's been a big list management issues for years under both McCartney and Power where they keep players who show nothing for years.

You're much better keeping a player who might be past it in Duyrea, than keeping any of a large group of players on the list currently who have rarely if ever played well. It's been a big list management issues for years under both McCartney and Power where they keep players who show nothing for years.

Conversely some don’t get played when they should.

The reported money for Ratugolea is ridiculous. But...

Every single year, we raise KPDs we should be after, then shy away once we learn the contract demands. This year it's Sav/McKay, previous years it's been guys like Lever, Corr (who, granted, ended up mediocre as ****), Battle...

At some point, you have to sit back and wonder whether, in a league that is currently highly prioritising offence, is this just the value of young, solid KPDs? Do we have to think about restructuring our cap management strategy to accommodate this? Or do we just need to be more willing to invest the $$$?

I dunno the answer here, but jeez it's frustrating to be approaching yet another off-season where all the notable players in positions of need are linked to other clubs and we're staring down the barrel of re-signing Tim O'Brien and maybe picking up another reject.

Part of my concerns about the Plan B discussion relates to not developing the players properly - so when someone is out of form, we don’t have a logical replacement.

Like Buku in every single position - so he has no continuity or consistency. If we developed players properly, we could then adjust to suit our opponents or if players are out of form.

Every single year, we raise KPDs we should be after, then shy away once we learn the contract demands. This year it's Sav/McKay, previous years it's been guys like Lever, Corr (who, granted, ended up mediocre as *), Battle...

At some point, you have to sit back and wonder whether, in a league that is currently highly prioritising offence, is this just the value of young, solid KPDs? Do we have to think about restructuring our cap management strategy to accommodate this? Or do we just need to be more willing to invest the $$$?

I dunno the answer here, but jeez it's frustrating to be approaching yet another off-season where all the notable players in positions of need are linked to other clubs and we're staring down the barrel of re-signing Tim O'Brien and maybe picking up another reject.

Personally I’d just continue with the developing of young KPDs without going into too much emphasis on trying to trade in the overpaid KPD. The reasons for that include
A) our defensive zone gets opened up far too often up field. Too many tall defenders is a liability when shutting down space is absolutely vital
B) a good chunk of our KPDs are shaky ballusers. Scoring sources are heavily turnover based and you just can’t have defenders turning the ball over in the modern game. Particularly with aggressive positioning you just get cut to ribbons on the rebound.
C) small attacking defenders is the basis of our defence. A good chunk of value comes from the calibre of Richards, Dale, JJ and Daniel being able to rebound cleanly. I’d prioritise more attacking weapons from defence rather than high ball protection.

Buss, O’Donnell and maybe Darcy is where we should head with smart trades like Liam Jones being the strategy.

Obviously we're a little exposed if Jones goes down, but I really don't think KPDs should be an immediate concern for us. Yes, we seriously need a tall interceptor in this side (ideally Buss), but it's actually the small forwards kicking bags on us every week, not the talls. If we're looking to recruit for our defence, it's a Duryea replacement we need sooner than a Jones/Keath replacement

Every single year, we raise KPDs we should be after, then shy away once we learn the contract demands. This year it's Sav/McKay, previous years it's been guys like Lever, Corr (who, granted, ended up mediocre as *), Battle...

JOD is an absolute gift and we did pick up Buss & Jones last year.
I'm actually glad we could feasibly not pick one up this year period and still be ok come round 1 next year.

I'd still like a genuine interceptor though. By all accounts were into Tomlinson, but there's a couple of VFL guys (Nour & Hore) we could pick up as well to help us in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back