Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t think that type of money is being offered by West Coast.
West Coast has pulled out completely some time ago. Adelaide were interested but have moved onto younger options, who are cheaper or willing to play more time forward. North were interested but not only did English not want to go to a rebuilding club but North wanted him as a forward to chop out Xerri which English has no interest in.
The only team I see coming late for him is Essendon but that is only a hunch from me given their desire to prioritise free agents over trades and the lack of growth from Draper/Bryan with the Senior citizen Goldstein holding them out.

West Coast has pulled out completely some time ago. Adelaide were interested but have moved onto younger options, who are cheaper or willing to play more time forward. North were interested but not only did English not want to go to a rebuilding club but North wanted him as a forward to chop out Xerri which English has no interest in.
The only team I see coming late for him is Essendon but that is only a hunch from me given their desire to prioritise free agents over trades and the lack of growth from Draper/Bryan with the Senior citizen Goldstein holding them out.
hope we haven’t offered English a big contract since it now looks like clubs have cooled on him

I don't think it'll happen but I'd be happy for English to sign on elsewhere. Hes just not the ruckman we thought he'd be. Assuming we finish about where we are now it would net us pick 8-9. Would need to find a cheapish replacement for this to work though.
This. Needs a lot more c word about him, sick of ruckmen with tin heart syndrome. Hopefully Smith has a bit of mongrel in him and plays like he gives a f*ck, imposes himself on the game.

I’d take a sack of mouldy tangerines for Lobb at this rate. Was at the game last night and he was just an outside running, insipid squib all night. Palpable relief when he was subbed off.

Daniel, can’t find the football and can’t hit targets.

Offers nothing. Would be lucky to get a token pick in the 70s to offload his salary.
It’s a bit sad isn’t it. Have loved him for so long, but he has become a liability. Can’t stick a tackle. Can’t break one. Slow. Easily outmarked. And was once an elite user when given space, but can’t find it any more.

Have been a huge fan, but I just can’t see him finding a long term role anymore where his skills aren’t negated by his short (pun) comings.

hope we haven’t offered English a big contract since it now looks like clubs have cooled on him
The offer is 800k x5 give or take and it won't change. His management are still looking for over a million, which is less then they originally were asking. He should've left last year when Eagles were offering stupid money.

Power has shown he has the nerves to hold out, and he is doing it so far with Smith and English. We have more big names out of contract next year that need to be paid so can't afford to over pay.
Yes need to keep the cash for Bont, Richards, Darcy and Weightman

The offer is 800k x5 give or take and it won't change. His management are still looking for over a million, which is less then they originally were asking. He should've left last year when Eagles were offering stupid money.
Knowing our luck he will take an offer and it'll be band 2 compo with the new cap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club has created the problem with Timmy

We should have been playing Sweet when we had him and not give Timmy the monopoly on the ruck position:

The club wanted a ruck like Timmy.

Out of contract this year and looks more physical and a better ruck than Tim not sure what he does around the ground though.

First rounder for Tim, Third for Moyle and save $300+ in cap space, gutsy move
Moyle doesn't do much at all around the ground at this stage.

Moyle doesn't do much at all around the ground at this stage.

Out of contract this year and looks more physical and a better ruck than Tim not sure what he does around the ground though.

First rounder for Tim, Third for Moyle and save $300+ in cap space, gutsy move
I think Ned Reeves would be the best option. Has fallen behind Meek and only playing because Meek is injured.

English generally loses to physical non athletics rucks
Beats them on the outer

I honestly didn't mind the 30 seconds of him in defense
I think we should trail that

English has one slightly below par (not even poor, just below average) and people are talking about some of the worst rucks in the league as better options.

I prefer it that my rucks have the ability to touch the ball more than about six times around the ground, funnily enough.

English has one slightly below par (not even poor, just below average) and people are talking about some of the worst rucks in the league as better options.

I prefer it that my rucks have the ability to touch the ball more than about six times around the ground, funnily enough.
On the flip side English has had one good year out of 10. He is some of the worst rucks in the league

On the flip side English has had one good year out of 10. He is some of the worst rucks in the league
It comes back to what you want your rucks to do. Win the taps and give you a big advantage at CBAs and stoppages? Or become a mobile tall who links up, kicks goals, intercepts and influences general play around the ground?

Ideally you want someone who is elite at both of course but that's quite rare. I think the disconnect we often have here is in what we think the essential qualities of a ruckman should be. So we aren't always comparing apples with apples.

FWIW I think of English as a good midfielder who happens to be tall and competes moderately well at bounces, ball-ups and throw-ins. I can't recall him ever taking a game by the scruff of the neck and saying "I've got this boys!" like Max Gawn might. Or Brodie Grundy in days gone by.

He has recorded a modest 25 Brownlow votes in 101 H&A games for the WB up to 2023. Six lots of 3-votes (BoG) in that. It's good, but not outstanding.

As a high benchmark, Gawn had 101 Brownlow votes (16 BoGs) in 193 H&A games up to 2023. Less than twice the games but more than four times the votes.

They both average 15 disposals a game. English averages 21.4 HOs while Gawn averages 33.1 HOs.

I'm not saying Timmy has to be Gawn-level good to be worth keeping of course, but it does give some perspective of where the best are at.

Still wearing the rose tinted glasses. Can’t believe how you can say he’s only played “slightly below par” ONCE recently.

He was awful last week in the first half too but finally play alright in the second half, actually using his attributes to beat Cameron. But those moments are once in a blue moon. Hasn’t won a ruck contest this year and hasn’t passed the eye test for ages.

Last edited:
If you're comparing English to Gawn then you should probably be looking at 26yo Gawn. He was very good but hadn't gone on his 5 year AA run yet. English's ruck work won't ever be as good, but most rucks craft develops significantly in their late 20s
English is 27 in two months. Should we wait until he is 32 to fairly assess his spot in the team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back