Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

To elaborate a lil bit more on my info, my money earlier in the year was that he was gone and english was signing for unders. His euro trip has helped him clear his head, get away and evaluate everything. Not saying its a 100% deal, not at all BUT he is considering the fact that dogs have put the work into him, given him his time to evaluate, rehab and repay the faith for as I said a couple of years at max and then evaluate again after those years
100% incorrect. Smith is gone. Everyone has known this for awhile. It’s now most likely cats. I’ll take bets with anyone any amount Smith will not be a bulldogs player by end of this season.

100% incorrect. Smith is gone. Everyone has known this for awhile. It’s now most likely cats. I’ll take bets with anyone any amount Smith will not be a bulldogs player by end of this season.
I'll take that. And even though you are 100% certain I'll even take 99% odds. So I'll bet you $5 he stays at 99-1 odds. $495 to me if he stays.

I will 100% take that bet. I am 100% confident that Baz will still be a Bulldogs player at the end of this season and will take any bets - nothing surer.

(Because trade period occurs after the end of the season).

If BAZ goes we seriously need to look at why. Something is amiss

I am not going to buy the best for both parties, or BAZ has his issues and needs a fresh start, it is in the interest of player and club etc etc . He is 23 a top 10 pick we need his speed and are yelling out for midfield types like him

Baz (if he goes), Stringer, Dunkley, Hunter are all talents that have left and some are top 10 picks.

I am not going to buy the best for both parties, or BAZ has his issues and needs a fresh start, it is in the interest of player and club etc etc . He is 23 a top 10 pick we need his speed and are yelling out for midfield types like him

Baz (if he goes), Stringer, Dunkley, Hunter are all talents that have left and some are top 10 picks.
I can help you.

Bailey Smith is a commercial juggernaut and for that reason he is receiving titanic offers that do not match his output.

Stringer was (is?) a horrible human being. He played his best football with us.

Dunkley requested a trade to Essendon 2 years before being traded. It fractured his relationship with others at the club and when his contract was up, he was offered an extra million dollars to leave.

Hunter is a distraction of enormous proportions. He played his best football with us.

I can help you.

Bailey Smith is a commercial juggernaut and for that reason he is receiving titanic offers that do not match his output.

Stringer was (is?) a horrible human being. He played his best football with us.

Dunkley requested a trade to Essendon 2 years before being traded. It fractured his relationship with others at the club and when his contract was up, he was offered an extra million dollars to leave.

Hunter is a distraction of enormous proportions. He played his best football with us.

Understand what you are saying but no clubs are immune from that just seems we don’t manage it well

D.Martin, J De Goey etc etc

At the end of the day he is leaving because of the cash, pure and simple. We are not offering him anything close to 7 figures, both Hawthorn and Geelong are.

And he is in for a rude awakening if he thinks Mitchell or Scott will just play him full time inside mid, it’s not happening.

You’d be filthy if you’re Melbourne with the NGA changing again. They lose Mac Andrew, but it’s changing back cos Essendon have a gun kid…
St Kilda with McKenzie too.
Even better for us, due to COVID they suspended the list-spot rule for matching bids when we picked up Marra.

Libba has been zero fuss since he came back from his 2nd ACL. Also Dusty hasn’t done anything for a decade that is remotely newsworthy off field.
Disagree. He really struggled for a while after 2016. He modifys his loads to ensure his knee stays ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. He really struggled for a while after 2016. He modifys his loads to ensure his knee stays ok
My reply was in reference to someone mentioning you can only have so many difficult/troublesome personalities on your list when talking about us moving on from Baz and mentioned Libba as an example. I said after his 2nd ACL, which he came back from in 2019 he has been absolutely zero fuss and the ultimate professional and leader for the club.

As for the Garcia stuff unfortunately where the hell do we play him right now? Bont/Libba/Treloar/Richards are getting all the inside midfield minutes, regardless of his VFL form even he would admit he can't be picked ahead of those guys. He is next in line for the McNeil/Sanders spot off the bench it would seem. Personally I think he could play the McNeil role right now and pinch hit in the middle of one of the mids were to go down.

Last edited:
Also heard the Garcia touring the cats facilities is close to what has happened. Not sure why it matters. Clubs f**k over players all the time.
He’s an out of contract fringe player, honestly wtf does the club expect him to do, sit on his hands? End of the day he needs to ensure he’s employed next year

As for the Garcia stuff unfortunately where the hell do we play him right now? Bont/Libba/Treloar/Richards are getting all the inside midfield minutes, regardless of his VFL form even he would admit he can't be picked ahead of those guys. He is next in line for the McNeil/Sanders spot off the bench it would seem. Personally I think he could play the McNeil role right now and pinch hit in the middle of one of the mids were to go down.
He simply doesn't fit in the AFL team at the moment.

Let's say we hypothetically play Garcia as a 30% midfielder, 70% forward. We need to find that 30% somewhere, do we drop Sanders? I would argue that Sanders and Garcia would produce similar numbers in the midfield and ultimately you play the kid in that instance, so then you're eating into the midfield time of far superior mids in Bont, Richards, Treloar and Liberatore, which overall weakens the midfield, and in exchange you get the 70% forward Garcia who in my view isn't much better than Vandermeer or McNeil in that role. The trade off just isn't worth it.

It's painfully similar to the situation we had with Lipinski (although I acknowledge that Garcia is more inside, Lipinski more outside), and I don't think I've once thought to myself gosh I wish we had Lipinski back.

Baz is being offered contract amounts that will make him into at least one of the top 50 paid players in the league and probably top 20-30. We are still offering him good money (enough to make him one of our own top 5-7 paid players), it's just that that still is several (not a few, several) hundreds of thousands of dollars less that what the offers are. Those offers have guaranteed money for many years while ours is only for two years through free agency.

What I've heard is that he hasn't made up his mind. What others are are hearing that he's gone isn't true, just that people are assuming he's gone or are reading meaning into the contract amounts (the offers being so different in totality) that he's as good as gone or assuming that he would be insane not to take the extra money (I agree, but it doesn't mean he's gone just yet). But the fact that he isn't taking the extra money in a heartbeat without thinking about it is a good sign.

My reply was in reference to someone mentioning you can only have so many difficult/troublesome personalities on your list when talking about us moving on from Baz and mentioned Libba as an example. I said after his 2nd ACL, which he came back from in 2019 he has been absolutely zero fuss and the ultimate professional and leader for the club.
Some people can't accept that Libba has grown and changed significantly as a person through his 20's and early 30's, which is clearly possible, especially after you become a father.

Baz is being offered contract amounts that will make him into at least one of the top 50 paid players in the league and probably top 20-30. We are still offering him good money (enough to make him one of our own top 5-7 paid players), it's just that that still is several (not a few, several) hundreds of thousands of dollars less that what the offers are. Those offers have guaranteed money for many years while ours is only for two years through free agency.

What I've heard is that he hasn't made up his mind. What others are are hearing that he's gone isn't true, just that people are assuming he's gone or are reading meaning into the contract amounts (the offers being so different in totality) that he's as good as gone or assuming that he would be insane not to take the extra money (I agree, but it doesn't mean he's gone just yet). But the fact that he isn't taking the extra money in a heartbeat without thinking about it is a good sign.
I’d be filthy on our list managers if it came to light that Baz was in our top 5 paid players.

I’d be filthy on our list managers if it came to light that Baz was in our top 5 paid players.
Bont, Naughton, Marra, Darcy, McNeill - he's probably vying with Richards and Dale for 6th spot.

I've heard some stories about Hunter over the years but nothing recently. What's going on with him nowadays? Hasn't gotten his shit together?

Usually players leave Bulldogs and get their shit together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back