Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOD, Buss and Croft are C/D graders that need at least 3 pre-seasons to reach their A/B potential. We’ll be lucky if 1/3 of them turn out with injuries and development.

Getting a known quantity in our premiership window in the meantime… you just do it. Macrae and Daniel out for a solid KPD… where do i sign?

This Stengle “incident” may have a bit of an influence on Bazlenka. This aint from my source but it doesn’t help Bailey at all
I would expect Baz to be jumping at the chance to join Geelong now

1. All back inuries arent the same - this is car crash style damage Barrass is talking about - like, he struggles to get out of bed and get moving every day. Who knows what happens if he cops another hit to the same area? OK, he may play another 4 years, who knows, but just because Hawkins had a bad back has nothing to do with Barras' situation.

2. Its risk reward. If we were gagging for a key back right now, the reward would be greater, but we aernt. Jones and Lobb are in good shape. JOD, Croft and Buss are as good up and coming key defenders as we have ever had. Barrass might make us better, but the risk/reward is not favourable for us as it might be for some other clubs.

3. IMO he is not the missing piece. I dont know too much about him, but Ive heard of him described as a good interceptor that is suspect in 1:1s. If thats true, then hes even less the missing piece. If we have missing pieces right now its the wings. And looking forward we are going to need to replace libba and treloar in the midfield.
Agree with all the above. I’m also not one to subscribe to Barrass being the ‘final piece of the puzzle’. Our defence is now ranked 4th for the season and 2nd over the past month. Paying ridiculous overs for him would be incredibly short sighted.
We should be moving to invest more capital into our wings and midfield otherwise that issue is going to sneak up on us real fast.

JOD, Buss and Croft are C/D graders that need at least 3 pre-seasons to reach their A/B potential. We’ll be lucky if 1/3 of them turn out with injuries and development.

Getting a known quantity in our premiership window in the meantime… you just do it. Macrae and Daniel out for a solid KPD… where do i sign?
I don't think Macrea and CD would cut it as a trade for Barrass unfortunately.

I don't think Macrea and CD would cut it as a trade for Barrass unfortunately.
Think the point being made is a playable KPD that might be younger and pushed out from another team, like Zerk-Thatcher was this season, not for Barrass

Thoughts on Lobb yesterday with Jones back in?
Thought he was just as good. With those two boys running around intercepting, it really allows Coff, JOD, Freij, Doc, Buku to do their thing. That being said, Buku has been exceptional since coming back in.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't see any options at a reasonable price that'd be upgrades un what we currently have.
Jones and Lobb are both older than 30, and Lobb has done well but it's no guarantee into the future - it's hot form but it still is a new position for him and we can't rule out the possibility of his form dropping so bad that we want to drop him for anyone in the future, in the same way that his forward form was also poor.

Gardner gets written off by all here though under contract for next year and Keath's time is done, surely.

I think it's fair to want a player to, as it stands, battle with Lobb for a key post.

JOD and Khamis are third types but the fact that they've played as second tall types shows you the need.

I don't see the need as I still think Gardner can play good football but even if that' true I have to admit Gardner's been injured more than he's been fit for us over the last few years.

Jones and Lobb are both older than 30, and Lobb has done well but it's no guarantee into the future - it's hot form but it still is a new position for him and we can't rule out the possibility of his form dropping so bad that we want to drop him for anyone in the future, in the same way that his forward form was also poor.

Gardner gets written off by all here though under contract for next year and Keath's time is done, surely.

I think it's fair to want a player to, as it stands, battle with Lobb for a key post.

JOD and Khamis are third types but the fact that they've played as second tall types shows you the need.

I don't see the need as I still think Gardner can play good football but even if that' true I have to admit Gardner's been injured more than he's been fit for us over the last few years.
I was only counting the younger guys. JOD has one of the highest ceilings of any young key backs in the game in my view. I see him as a second tall, Buss aswell is developing nicely and I see him as a second or third tall depending on opposition. Bukus rise in the last month has been huge and shown he has potential as that interceptor and I still see Croft as a key defender long term. There seems to be enough long, medium and short term options on our list to me.
Whilst he isnt a genuine key defender the only tall I'd be looking at would be Borlase as a free agent. Definitely not a part of the ground I'd want to spend draft capital on which is a great situation to be in given the lack of key defenders on the market.

1. All back inuries arent the same - this is car crash style damage Barrass is talking about - like, he struggles to get out of bed and get moving every day. Who knows what happens if he cops another hit to the same area? OK, he may play another 4 years, who knows, but just because Hawkins had a bad back has nothing to do with Barras' situation.

2. Its risk reward. If we were gagging for a key back right now, the reward would be greater, but we aernt. Jones and Lobb are in good shape. JOD, Croft and Buss are as good up and coming key defenders as we have ever had. Barrass might make us better, but the risk/reward is not favourable for us as it might be for some other clubs.

3. IMO he is not the missing piece. I dont know too much about him, but Ive heard of him described as a good interceptor that is suspect in 1:1s. If thats true, then hes even less the missing piece. If we have missing pieces right now its the wings. And looking forward we are going to need to replace libba and treloar in the midfield.
Don’t forget Gardy is contracted through 2026 too 😅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ch 7 news just reporting that Hawks sent a delegation to Perth to commence negotiations for a Barrass deal.

GO HAWKS
Good

Get what we can if/when players leave, ask about Ed Langdon who is currently uncontracted, and look to the draft. What if there's another 3rd round Freijah pick we have lined up?

So Sammy Mitchell wanders over to WA with plenty of time left in the season to have a chat with a player from an opposition club with three years left on a contract. AFL happy with that?

If I was West Coast, I would be hurling money at Hawthorn players.

The Barrass contract is the reason I was never keen on him. WCE are within their rights to ask for the world for him. The Hawks are the ones that have poached him.

I don’t see a situation where the Hawks won’t have to hand over their 2024 first rounder with nothing coming back the other way. Perhaps they have to add more.

The Barrass contract is the reason I was never keen on him. WCE are within their rights to ask for the world for him. The Hawks are the ones that have poached him.

I don’t see a situation where the Hawks won’t have to hand over their 2024 first rounder with nothing coming back the other way. Perhaps they have to add more.
Depends what side of 10 the pick falls. If it's pick 13 or 14 I imagine a seconds goes along side it. If it is 10 then maybe a third.

I’m interested to see who we decide to delist at the end of the year. The only one I’m fairly confident goes is Dom Bedendo.

Borlase and Langdon would be shrewd acquisitions without impacting our draft hand. I hope Sammy P is turning over every stone to find another bargain.
I saw Neal-Bullen mentioned on here a fair while back - what’s his situation? Would slot nicely into our forward line.

I’m interested to see who we decide to delist at the end of the year. The only one I’m fairly confident goes is Dom Bedendo.

Borlase and Langdon would be shrewd acquisitions without impacting our draft hand. I hope Sammy P is turning over every stone to find another bargain.
I saw Neal-Bullen mentioned on here a fair while back - what’s his situation? Would slot nicely into our forward line.
JJ, Keath and Duryea (rookie) are probably all decent chances to retire. Charlie Clarke must be nervous. If Bedendo plus 2 of JJ, Keath and Clarke go off the main list there's our minimum 3 draft picks (before factoring in trade ins and outs).

I haven't heard any official interest in Borlase although he is someone I like as a free agent, would depend if English leaves as it could potentially impact Compo we get for him.
Langdon is out of contract but isn't a free agent as far as I'm aware so would impact our draft hand
Neal-Bullen is someone I believe we inquired about but I don't see the appeal and would have him on par with VDM, he is also contracted for two more years but I doubt Melbourne would ask too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back