Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching how our more outside wings and HFF are playing; ie. our usual whipping boys…. VDM, Williams, McNiel (Poulter). I am no longer interested in another wingman. These guys are playing very unselfish football at the moment by performing their roles really well.

As much as I have wanted a pressure forward too…. I am leaning more to not seeing that as a huge need.

My preference would be to bring in a small defender, HBF, extractor and a speedy midfielder. These players are to replace Duryea, JJ, Libba and Treloar. Bringing in 2 picks as early as possible would be great and we can wait until the following year for the other 2/4.

Things could change and IF we lose English, then an older ruckman would be required.
We're in a good spot that our list management needs seem to be replacing getting old and retiring/form dropping off, rather than out-and-out weaknesses in certain positions.

Ed Langdon is unsigned. Covers enormous ground and has a couple of years left, by which time Freijah is probably cherry-ripe to transition to the wing.
I thought I read recently that talks are underway for Langdon and it will probably get done soon for him to re-sign. Not sure where that was but he's pretty likely locked in at the Dees.

Ed’s getting on a bit though?
29 by start of next season..
Stick to draft youngies methinks…

My concern with Barrass is that if we get him, and keep both English and Lobb then his recruitment is potentially Lobb 2.0.

Lobb was recruited but was never going to be able to play in the same forward line as Darcy.

Now that Lobb has found a place down back, I cannot see how Jones, Barrass and Lobb ever play in the same backline (let alone give O’Donnell, busslinger, Croft a look in). Seems to be a case of locking in a target and being blind to changing circumstances as they evolve which is what happened with Lobb until we lucked into a backline spot.

What made sense 6 weeks ago may no longer make sense unless one of English or Lobb is gone.

Lobb is versatile - good player to have on the list. Id rather not force him out, but if we trade barrass in, hed be on the phone to his agent, wouldnt he?

Riley Beveridge on Gettable said Garcia is pretty much gone. Cal Twomey then said Geelong a chance for Macrae and Caleb will probably go towards the end of trade period.

English still favourite to stay but wet toast offer is tempting. Smith gone Geelong still favourite but Hawthorn with their "we want everyone " is still around

Riley Beveridge on Gettable said Garcia is pretty much gone. Cal Twomey then said Geelong a chance for Macrae and Caleb will probably go towards the end of trade period.

English still favourite to stay but wet toast offer is tempting. Smith gone Geelong still favourite but Hawthorn with their "we want everyone " is still around
So,

Out:
Garcia
Smith
Macrae

Maybe:
English
CD

In:
MAYBE Barass

Every other big fish we've chased seems to re-sign with their own club..

Not liking the sounds of this off season right now.

So,

Out:
Garcia
Smith
Macrae

Maybe:
English

In:
MAYBE Barass

I honestly don't mind the mini-rebuild

Out: Garcia- Rotation player- Galla has gone past him
Smith- Sanders takes that midfield role
Macrae- Freijah takes the wing/inside mid mins

Free up around 1.6 mil in Cap room as well

We always talk about freeing up cap room when the cap semes to be more than fine.

I'm not sure we'd be wanting to lose midfield options and for probably stuff all

Completely guts our midfield depth. Horrid outcome.

I mind it if we lose both Smith and Garcia. Both have futures in our midfield, we are already way too old in that space, we need some under 25's so I can't class it as a ''mini rebuild'' when we're losing two very good pieces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garcia>>>>Gags imo

I don't keep tabs on the rumour mill on other clubs' boards. Are the other teams handling the prospect of so many players apparently departing at the end of the season, or is it just us? Every year, we seem to have a disproportionate amount of these situations to deal with. Considering that we are a pretty fair team, and not a basket case like some others. It may be just an unsubstantiated feeling, but it's annoying all the same.

I don't keep tabs on the rumour mill on other clubs' boards. Are the other teams handling the prospect of so many players apparently departing at the end of the season, or is it just us? Every year, we seem to have a disproportionate amount of these situations to deal with. Considering that we are a pretty fair team, and not a basket case like some others. It may be just an unsubstantiated feeling, but it's annoying all the same.

It's a consequence of having a team stacked with enviable talent. I'd prefer having a team full of desirable players that other teams are trying to poach than the inverse. The vast majority of the time, they end up re-signing.

Completely guts our midfield depth. Horrid outcome.
Macrae being shifted out of large midfield mins and same went to Bailey smith last year

Agreed, our midfield depth will take a hit
But we have seen Sanders, West and Galla have an impact being inside mids that i can fully see Bevo investing more into

Gallagher possibly has a higher ceiling than Garcia and is clearly highly rated, but he has been a turnover machine this year. It was an experiment that probably should have been paused sooner than it was. Showed his potential early and ran out of gas.

We can’t just lose Baz AND Garcia resulting in our midfield stocks being almost entirely players close to or over 30 (Libba, Trealoar, Bont, Macrae) or under 20 (Gallagher, Sanders). Think it’s important to have that middle age bracket covered, Garcia at this point would fill me with a lot more confidence than Gallagher if needed due to injury.

Fortunately Ed is turning into a superstar. But Garcia should be kept. Quick, agile, strong, hunts the ball and the opposition and can pepper the goals. Loopy disposal though but not sure he’s worse than say McNeil or VDM.

If he wants a full time starting midfield spot we can’t offer that but should be aiming to keep him. Gallagher is a similar player but not there yet.

Scout that I know would have both towards the top of the draft. He sees future midfielders who could develop in other positions for us or just dominate at VFL level until a spot would be there for them.

I liked how Jaxon has played as a forward and has that forward half game already in place.
I know BF isn't exactly the font of all knowledge, but no-one is the 2026 draft thread has mentioned either of the at all.

So,

Out:
Garcia
Smith
Macrae

Maybe:
English
CD

In:
MAYBE Barass

If... it came to this, the only players that we'd structurally miss are Smith and English.

Anyways, Im not going to wet myself over media speculation. Especially given how much they've speculated about the number of free agents and the possibilities of their movement this year and for the most part got it all wrong. So wrong in fact that they're forgotten all that and are already turning their eye to the long list of free agents coming out of contract next year. It's the human centipede of their existence for these guys.

English is the only genuine B22 there now they rest are 16-30 range now which will need to be replaced but isn't as hard to do so for much cheaper contracts
Smith is best 22 when fit and there's a case for Macrae, Daniel and Garcia to all be in it too next year. I don't have a huge issue with losing each of them individually but to have all 5 go at the same time would be a hit, unless we can bring in similar quality in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back