Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard any official interest in Borlase although he is someone I like as a free agent, would depend if English leaves as it could potentially impact Compo we get for him.
Langdon is out of contract but isn't a free agent as far as I'm aware so would impact our draft hand
Neal-Bullen is someone I believe we inquired about but I don't see the appeal and would have him on par with VDM, he is also contracted for two more years but I doubt Melbourne would ask too much.
If we are looking for a key defender I would be looking at Leek Aleer at GWS or even James Blanck from Hawthorn

Surprised at the reaction of Barrass on here - Not every day you rumoured to get one of the best KPDs in the league.

The back stuff seems a bit overblown given he is playing cracking footy every week. I get he is 29, but KPD usually have more longevity than most positions,

Not saying he is the missing piece for a dynasty but surprised that people are so happy to miss out on him (even with a steep price)

Surprised at the reaction of Barrass on here - Not every day you rumoured to get one of the best KPDs in the league.

The back stuff seems a bit overblown given he is playing cracking footy every week. I get he is 29, but KPD usually have more longevity than most positions,

Not saying he is the missing piece for a dynasty but surprised that people are so happy to miss out on him (even with a steep price)
Our KPD'S now and coming through are fine, why give up draft and trade capital?

Personally hope we sign English and hit the draft. Mid ,small back small forward, Wing.

Still trying to understand why our own supporters do not get how close we are list wise

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watching how our more outside wings and HFF are playing; ie. our usual whipping boys…. VDM, Williams, McNiel (Poulter). I am no longer interested in another wingman. These guys are playing very unselfish football at the moment by performing their roles really well.

As much as I have wanted a pressure forward too…. I am leaning more to not seeing that as a huge need.

My preference would be to bring in a small defender, HBF, extractor and a speedy midfielder. These players are to replace Duryea, JJ, Libba and Treloar. Bringing in 2 picks as early as possible would be great and we can wait until the following year for the other 2/4.

Things could change and IF we lose English, then an older ruckman would be required.

I think we all want him… perhaps a little sceptical about the back.. and then on the flipside to that is we still need to regenerate our midfield with our draft picks. Its a tough one!

I think we all want him… perhaps a little sceptical about the back.. and then on the flipside to that is we still need to regenerate our midfield with our draft picks. Its a tough one!
We have father sons that are gonna be midfielders

My concern with Barrass is that if we get him, and keep both English and Lobb then his recruitment is potentially Lobb 2.0.

Lobb was recruited but was never going to be able to play in the same forward line as Darcy.

Now that Lobb has found a place down back, I cannot see how Jones, Barrass and Lobb ever play in the same backline (let alone give O’Donnell, busslinger, Croft a look in). Seems to be a case of locking in a target and being blind to changing circumstances as they evolve which is what happened with Lobb until we lucked into a backline spot.

What made sense 6 weeks ago may no longer make sense unless one of English or Lobb is gone.

Think people are really underselling how great Barrass is - we shouldn't be changing plans because Lobb has had a good month, that form could disappear at any moment (look at Gardner and Keath for example). Barrass is an excellent defender, Liam Jones is the only one we have of a similar quality and Liam will be 34 next season.

Concerns about Barrass' back and the trade cost are understandable but I don't see why we'd turn down a consistent, quality key back due to a 31 year old in a purple patch. Barrass would be a huge upgrade to our defence for 4+ years

Away from Barrass, are there any buy low candidates we should be looking at in a similar mould to Coffield & Harmes?

These players should be young enough (23-25) and fill specific needs.

Ironically, Hunter Clark? Darcy Macpherson or Ben Paton as a small defender?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Away from Barrass, are there any buy low candidates we should be looking at in a similar mould to Coffield & Harmes?

I rated Paton a couple of years ago. Assume injury has hindered him.

Ed Langdon is unsigned. Covers enormous ground and has a couple of years left, by which time Freijah is probably cherry-ripe to transition to the wing.

Maybe I'm getting carried away but I think I just want to hit the draft this year.

Suspect Baz is gone, maybe 1 or 2 others looking for opportunity (such as Daniel)

The draft is deep, wouldn't mind seeing what we can unearth with 4 or 5 picks, including a couple early - back in Milesi to find another Freijah/Gallagher or 2 and inject youth into our list.

Lobb in someways stumbled across playing down back. He couldn’t be dropped because of form in the forward line so a position was found for him. Yes he has made a really good go of it BUT the challenge will come and opposition clubs will put time into him to expose him.

Jury is out on Lobb as a back for mine.

Barrass at the right price and $ should be strongly considered.

JJ, Keath and Duryea (rookie) are probably all decent chances to retire. Charlie Clarke must be nervous. If Bedendo plus 2 of JJ, Keath and Clarke go off the main list there's our minimum 3 draft picks (before factoring in trade ins and outs).
Wonder if Charlie gets delisted and rerookied… feel like there’s some talent there
Rypstra’s an interesting one

Watching how our more outside wings and HFF are playing; ie. our usual whipping boys…. VDM, Williams, McNiel (Poulter). I am no longer interested in another wingman. These guys are playing very unselfish football at the moment by performing their roles really well.

As much as I have wanted a pressure forward too…. I am leaning more to not seeing that as a huge need.

My preference would be to bring in a small defender, HBF, extractor and a speedy midfielder. These players are to replace Duryea, JJ, Libba and Treloar. Bringing in 2 picks as early as possible would be great and we can wait until the following year for the other 2/4.

Things could change and IF we lose English, then an older ruckman would be required.
It's a big IF we do lose English, but if we do, Sammy has a couple of great options.
Band 1 pick for a decent midfielder, this is a heavy midfield draft.
Cap space, I really didn't like the thought of spending 800k + on Timmy the timid giraffe.
Split the cap on a nature bodied ruckman who will physically compete and free agent of a position of need.

Which ones? And are they going to be any good?

Jaxon Cooney and Levi West are both in the 2026 draft and as far as I know both midfielders.

Scout that I know would have both towards the top of the draft. He sees future midfielders who could develop in other positions for us or just dominate at VFL level until a spot would be there for them.

I liked how Jaxon has played as a forward and has that forward half game already in place.

With 2026 shaping up to potentially be a big year for F/S, I hope the club is making an early big play for Finn Callaghan at the end of the next season (OOC in 2025). We could potentially have our 2025 & 2026 1st rounders as draft capital and a midfield that will be on the cusp of losing Libba & Treloar to walk into.

He suits our Naughton, Darcy & JUH timeline perfectly and will be ready to jump in to play elite footy straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back