Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I'd have him as a very late second or early third and that is only because he is contracted. He should be in the 16 - 24 range of a squad and given he is a 29 year old jack of all trades master of none I'd have my priorities elsewhere. In saying that though he obviously has suiters if he has requested a trade.
I think he's worth more than that, mid 2nd I think. Has put together a very solid season (and been decent the last few years), there aren't many you can say that about at Melbourne this year - been one of their best.

Few supports burn their own as quickly as essendon's. The flames are out for Nik Cox.
Lucky they held on to that Dunkley pick to take a 200cm, softer version of Andrejs Everett.

Dogs news from the Midweek Tackle tonight (so take it with a grain of salt as always)...

Macrae: Sounds like he wants to stay but would with limited opportunities currently he may consider moving on. If he were to leave he would want to stay in Melbourne (not even Geelong).

Johannisen: Targeting a return in the first week of VFL finals and no update on a contract for next year.

English: Could miss the Giants game as well and will likely sign with Dogs for 5 years (as the ITK have already told us).

Last edited:
We won't be giving up a future first, i can almost guarantee that.

Didn't with Ollie Henry and Tanner Bruhn (who were both OOC and nominated Geelong), we won't do it with Smith either.

He's OOC, this years first (where Doggies don't have a first) and future 2nd is more than enough.
Anything otherwise is just bluster.

Deal will get done.
Henry, Bruhn were surplus players not best 22, Smith was taken with pick 7, and is a proven big game player, unlike the two you named. Now **** off to your own board.

Looking forward to cats fans and their condescending attitudes proliferating our board with their grandiose trade imaginings and the expectation we should be grateful to get anything at all from them.

After all everyone knows a cats player is always worth two of any other clubs as they were chosen by the almighty Stephen Wells which instantly makes them champions.
Yep, the competition is littered with Well’s busts, although Hamling did ok for us 😘

I’m sure it has been discussed many times already in this thread, however when JUH’s next contract comes up there will be a lot of demand and it will cost us a lot of cap to retain him.

Is the general consensus he will likely sign with us?

I’m sure it has been discussed many times already in this thread, however when JUH’s next contract comes up there will be a lot of demand and it will cost us a lot of cap to retain him.

I’m sure he and Darcy are our top priorities and we’re making sure to balance the cap in preparation for his payday. He’s been with us since he was 13 and from everything he’s said he loves it at the Dogs.

He was offered huge money and contract years, and still signed. The important thing is to support him and the team, no one wants to play for a club whose supporters don’t turn up, or cheer them on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early morning coffee chats (player manager, not someone who works at the Dogs, but speaks with our various teams / managers weekly).

-Macca more than happy to stay with the Dogs and earn his spot back.
-CD does have interested from other clubs, might explore his options end of year
-Smith to Geelong all but signed off on - Dogs expected to ask for two firsts
-Hasn't heard anything on Garcia.
-English 5 years, we didn't cave to his money/years demands
-Focus at the Kennel is to rejuv the midfield and wings
-Things at Melbourne worse than what the media is reporting - The club is in shambles
-As VD/Others have said, cap space wise we're in a good position - he expects the Dogs to be aggressive moving forward now that new facilities are complete and we're on an upward trajectory on field.
-Dogs are also looking at bringing on at least one new experienced assistant coach

He implied to me that every target we've chased over the last year has re-signed at their own club or had been lured elsewhere, supposedly management are filthy that the Hawks have ****-blocked us on Barass, and he reckons that's partly our fault as ''we're not as ruthless as some other clubs when trying to chase players'' (Bevo doesn't meet with oppo players during the season unlike some other coaches).

He hasn't heard any other names linked with us, and expects us to drag Smith out until late in the trade period, and use those picks to pick up elite young mids in the draft. He reckons Sam Power is one of the best negotiators in the league and several clubs have come knocking to get him to switch clubs but his knocked them all back.

Early morning coffee chats (player manager, not someone who works at the Dogs, but speaks with our various teams / managers weekly).

-CD does have interested from other clubs, might explore his options end of year
-Things at Melbourne worse than what the media is reporting - The club is in shambles
-As VD/Others have said, cap space wise we're in a good position - he expects the Dogs to be aggressive moving forward now that new facilities are complete and we're on an upward trajectory on field.
-Dogs are also looking at bringing on at least one new experienced assistant coach

He implied to me that every target we've chased over the last year has re-signed at their own club or had been lured elsewhere, supposedly management are filthy that the Hawks have ****-blocked us on Barass, and he reckons that's partly our fault as ''we're not as ruthless as some other clubs when trying to chase players'' (Bevo doesn't meet with oppo players during the season unlike some other coaches).

He hasn't heard any other names linked with us, and expects us to drag Smith out until late in the trade period, and use those picks to pick up elite young mids in the draft. He reckons Sam Power is one of the best negotiators in the league and several clubs have come knocking to get him to switch clubs but his knocked them all back.

This annoys me...a lot. Hopefully admin give him a foot up the arse.

Do you bloody job, coach. You're supposed to be excellent at relationships, so go and do it, get aggressive otherwise we'll be left behind. I sure as hell don't want us to be stuck in the middle forever.

Do you bloody job, coach. You're supposed to be excellent at relationships, so go and do it, get aggressive otherwise we'll be left behind. I sure as hell don't want us to be stuck in the middle forever.
I think opposite to you, I for one don't want the coach involved in those chats at all until after we bow out of finals. If the coach or players have a pre exsisting relationship with a potential target that's one thing but otherwise let Power and co handle that side of things and focus on this year.
You can always introduce yourself to potential targets at the midnight tours of the new facilities though.

I can't judge on weirdness, I certainly got up to some odd things in my youth and I still have a habit of acting on what ever strange idea my brain cooks up. I do think though that we used to do dumb and weird things to stand out and now being "quirky" is all about fitting in.
I think also think that all the dumb and weird things we did in our youth, which only a few mates might have known about, weren't played out on social media for the masses, as they are today.

Bevo's job is to coach the players, not poach the players.

During Dusty’s 300 week, I read an article saying that one reason he never went elsewhere was because he’d have found it really hard to walk into a new club and get to know 43 new teammates and all the club staff. I wonder if it’s the same with Macrae.

If we're meeting weekly, which of his players are we after/do we have someone in the bag?

I think opposite to you, I for one don't want the coach involved in those chats at all until after we bow out of finals. If the coach or players have a pre exsisting relationship with a potential target that's one thing but otherwise let Power and co handle that side of things and focus on this year.
You can always introduce yourself to potential targets at the midnight tours of the new facilities though.

Understand where you're coming from, but you have to fight fire with fire. Clearly coaches getting in the ear of, and meeting players, mid season is the norm now. We've got to sell the club. Players won't just come by sitting on our hands.

Understand where you're coming from, but you have to fight fire with fire. Clearly coaches getting in the ear of, and meeting players, mid season is the norm now. We've got to sell the club. Players won't just come by sitting on our hands.
Sadly I agree with both of you.

From what I'm told, we were fairly far down the path with Barass, Pratt met up with him recently with the clubs permission when WCE were over here, and we had outlined an offer to him, but it was a ''wait until after the season is over before we continue further'' type situation, as Bevo likes to meet and chat with any perspective recruit before we put pen to paper, but Bevo doesn't do it in season out of respect to other clubs/coaches/dedication to the Dogs.

Hawks got wind that they weren't in the race for Smith anymore so shifted their focus to defenders and flew Sam Mitchell + others straight to W.A. mid week to meet with him and offer him a bit more than what we were, and that was enough to get him over the line with a commitment.

As much as I admire the respect side of it from Bevo, sadly if this is how the industry is going to move, then we do need to be more agressive and he needs to start meeting with prospective players during the season to get them over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back