Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cal Twomey seems to be the only one talking sense on the issue.

Stated on SEN this morning that it’s up to the Cats to make this work. They’ve courted for 18mths, have got him onboard, so need to cough up.

It’s astonishing that this isn’t the take from most, if not all of the media.
Wouldn’t surprise to hear them cheering on Connor’s draft tampering.

It’s become a genuine ****in shit show.

Cal Twomey seems to be the only one talking sense on the issue.

Stated on SEN this morning that it’s up to the Cats to make this work. They’ve courted for 18mths, have got him onboard, so need to cough up.

It’s astonishing that this isn’t the take from most, if not all of the media.
Wouldn’t surprise to hear them cheering on Connor’s draft tampering.

It’s become a genuine ****in shit show.
Cal, Riley and Gabelich are the only decent journos on nowadays

Dees just got pick 9 from the dons.
That's a massive risk from the Demons. No one would be surprised if they fell all the way to the bottom 4 next year and they added a couple of solid picks for the privilege. Their best players are over 30 (Gawn, May & Viney) with a lot of faith placed in Petracca & Oliver to regain their status as top 10 players in the comp.

Just throwing it out there. What would you give up for #2?

NM - #17, F1, Caleb Daniel
Dogs - #2

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hypothetical: If Bailey Smith was in this position with another club (not us) and he was walked to the national draft by that club, where would we draft him, if at all? Would he go before pick 17 (or pick 20 perhaps which is where Geelong's pick will end up)?

Two rules: (1) ignore your current personal distaste for him but allow any public knowledge of his mental health issues and behaviours. (2) Ignore the alleged draft tampering behaviours/threats of certain parties that stand to benefit from his move.
In all honesty though he had some good form patches they were hardly consistent and the last year and a half he played he was actually a C grader if that.

Throw in the known off field issues as well as some bazaar behavior, as well as his total lack of buy in to a team sport that really is a team sport, personally I would not draft him at all, certainly not before Geelong's pick.

What has changed the discussion is Geelong getting into his ear 2 seasons ago, inflating his value.

Unlike some here, I don't believe only getting Geelongs first is us getting bent over, it is way more than the many risks associated with him inclusive not only of football ability but also team harmony. I only believe they need to add more to the deal through their behavior

This trade period is no longer about players changing clubs. It's the integrity of the system on trial. Seriously, if the conduct of Geelong, their major sponsor and Smith's manager doesn't come in for serious and heavy scrutiny, then I don't think I want to follow this game anymore...even with the Dogs still in the competition.

Presently, I couldn't give a rat's clacker if we trade away our players for two firsts, a future third or a 2027 ninth twice removed. It's a circus, and a distraction. More to the point, if one party can admit an intention to draft tamper, and the AFL and its bootlicking media are fully on-board with that, then this game is rotten to the core and I don't want to be a part of it.
I couldn’t agree with you more. Totally disgusted in the nastiness of the competition, the AFL media boy Barrett, the hypocrites that backed Geelong standing firm against Port Adelaide last year, and the total backflip now against us. It’s really, really ugly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn’t Richmond look at Smith? They will have 5 or so picks in the top 20. They can’t just play kids next year. Smith is young enough to grow with the kids and old enough to be a mature presence on Day 1.

And the Tigger's is a club he won't outgrow :)

I really don't think if I was a recruiter that I'd draft him before Geelongs first. He's only a decent player and comes with a lot of off-field baggage. Hasn't played his best footy for several years, now has the recurring ACL risk. Plus this year's draft has a strong top 20.
Every year the draft has a “strong top 10-20” and it never turns out to be true.

Why wouldn’t Richmond look at Smith? They will have 5 or so picks in the top 20. They can’t just play kids next year. Smith is young enough to grow with the kids and old enough to be a mature presence on Day 1.
They most definitely would. Not the mature presence stuff because Smith is peanut but just to get the young asset in the door.

The Dees trade

Melbourne receives:​

a first-round pick (currently No.9) and a future third-round pick (tied to Essendon)

Essendon receives:​

two second-round picks (currently No.28 and 40), two third-round picks (currently No.46 and 54), a fourth-round pick (currently No. 65) and a future first-round pick (tied to Melbourne)

Apparently Connors has called all clubs and told them not to bother drafting Bailey as he will never play a game for them.
No way he sits out the year if someone drafts him. Would be 2.5 years out the game and product Baz would he dead.

Hypothetical: If Bailey Smith was in this position with another club (not us) and he was walked to the national draft by that club, where would we draft him, if at all? Would he go before pick 17 (or pick 20 perhaps which is where Geelong's pick will end up)?

Two rules: (1) ignore your current personal distaste for him but allow any public knowledge of his mental health issues and behaviours. (2) Ignore the alleged draft tampering behaviours/threats of certain parties that stand to benefit from his move.
Not sure, I would have thought 17 is unders. They were saying on the Salty Dog podcast Cats will give him 5 years on 800k plus??? Would have thought that is rating him higher than a 17th pick ??

Sounds more appealing than it is. 25 ends up around 30 after father sons and academies. Whilst 48 ends up low 40s after all the 30s and 40s picks are chewed up matching.

I'd still probably consider it if they are paying the whole salary.

Pardon the intrusion. Just trying to figure out what the Daniel trade might look like.
Looking at your current draft hand, could you guys see pick 25 for Daniel + 48 being around the mark?
Narrator: it was not around the mark

Lots of anxiety out there...

Don't worry dogs fans. A deal will get done for Bailey, it won't be great and it won't be terrible. Geelong have every reason to add something to pick 17 to satisfy us and wrap this up by the deadline. We won't love it, but it'll be okay.

We are in the driver's seat for Daniel and Macrae, if we accept what they offer you can guarantee it'll be because we are happy with the reward

I'd be happy to take future 2nds for both of them. Offering up a future 2nd (hopefully our own and not linked to NM or St Kilda) for XOH also wouldn't be a disaster. There's a clear role for him in our 22 at HFF if we can get him in. Some of his attributes help address the weaknesses in our 22 this forum complains about week in week out, so we can't complain if we overpay a little on paper to bring him in.

So much of what happens this week is ridiculous theatre and posturing, when it has been demonstrated time after time that retention, drafting and development are much more important to outcomes than whether we "win" trade week.

We are in decent positions in all three outgoing trades, and whatever price we get will likely be the best we were able to extract. Tom Morris just reported we rejected 25 for Daniel and 48, which is a pretty generous offer already. We'll all be pretty chuffed if we manage to get better than that.

So, chill, let everything play out - and don't keep checking in if trade week is distracting your work week or family life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back