Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We send Baz to the draft to send a message.

Connors ensures no teams draft Baz. He gets to Geelong.

Now in future teams know they don’t even have to bother trading with us for uncontracted players, courtesy of Connors who basically runs the afl. Just play hardball or take them in the draft.

Would not even be the first time Smith and Connors have tampered with the draft, we benefitted from it the first time.

Unfortunately I don’t see walking Baz to the draft having an outcome more beneficial to us than receiving Geelong’s first round pick.

We ****ed up in not trading him last year - Baz was never staying here and it seems we didn’t really want him either.

Lesson learned, let’s try and stop losing young talents or be more ruthless if they don’t extend early.
Yep we need to start trading players before they are out of contract. It has blown up in our face twice now with Dunkley and now smith . The signs were there with smith last year we should have traded him. Once a player is out of contract the team trading them is fkd under the current system

Despite all the sound and fury, the likely outcome remains the same.

We have a poor hand and the system is stacked in favour of player.

We will take the best deal we can get which is Geelongs first and probably an exchange of later picks.

Will we get shafted? Yes.

Is that difficult to reconcile? You bet.

Would sending Smith to the draft change anything? Not one iota.

Will plently here blame Power and the Club? Most definitely.

I could be wrong, we could cave and accept pick 17 and a second round pick, but this one just feels different to me. There seems to be some genuine animosity from club.
A player we allowed overseas during rehab, didn’t come to the bnf and sat in the Geelong area at the G in the finals. I can’t remember the last time he was with bulldogs players.
Seems to have gotten really toxic.

Yep we need to start trading players before they are out of contract. It has blown up in our face twice now with Dunkley and now smith . The signs were there with smith last year we should have traded him. Once a player is out of contract the team trading them is fkd under the current system
That's great in theory but the system that we labour under doesn't allow you to trade players based on the club's will and against their preferences.

I've got no doubt that after Smith's form dropped considerably throughout the 2023 season that there would have been enquiries from other clubs but they can't go anywhere unless Smith and his management entertain them.

They aren't going to do that when he becomes and out of contract player in 12 months and can completely call the shots on where he is traded to.

I could be wrong, we could cave and accept pick 17 and a second round pick, but this one just feels different to me. There seems to be some genuine animosity from club.
A player we allowed overseas during rehab, didn’t come to the bnf and sat in the Geelong area at the G in the finals. I can’t remember the last time he was with bulldogs players.
Probably the rest of the boys didn’t want to be around somebody that already had one foot out the door

I could be wrong, we could cave and accept pick 17 and a second round pick, but this one just feels different to me. There seems to be some genuine anamousity
Why is this being framed as 'caving' when it's nothing of the sort.

It would be simply accepting the reality of the situation, cutting the best deal possible and then moving on and complaining to the AFL that the trading system is stacked in players favour.

Why is this being framed as 'caving' when it's nothing of the sort.

It would be simply accepting the reality of the situation, cutting the best deal possible and then moving on and complaining to the AFL that the trading system is stacked in players favour.

Sadly it kinda moves to the word “caving” as we have come out and said we want a top 10 pick (that now looks extremely unlikely). I wish we didn’t and just said we want something higher than 17.

17 is overs so I'd take it. Sniff is a sunk cost. We made the wrong choice years ago so if we can get out of it now at 17 then we should take it with thanks.

Sadly it kinda moves to the word “caving” as we have come out and said we want a top 10 pick (that now looks extremely unlikely). I wish we didn’t and just said we want something higher than 17.
That's negotiation and of course the club is going to try for that but what are the odds of it succeeding?

Geelong don't currently have a top ten pick. They could possibly acquire one if they felt they needed to but what's compelling them to do that?

They don't need to budge an inch because they are trading in Smith, who is out of contract, and the system favours the player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This trade period is no longer about players changing clubs. It's the integrity of the system on trial. Seriously, if the conduct of Geelong, their major sponsor and Smith's manager doesn't come in for serious and heavy scrutiny, then I don't think I want to follow this game anymore...even with the Dogs still in the competition.

Presently, I couldn't give a rat's clacker if we trade away our players for two firsts, a future third or a 2027 ninth twice removed. It's a circus, and a distraction. More to the point, if one party can admit an intention to draft tamper, and the AFL and its bootlicking media are fully on-board with that, then this game is rotten to the core and I don't want to be a part of it.

Last edited:
This how.

View attachment 2140121

Discount bins in bookshops all across the nation are full of football autobiographies that publishers thought they could turn an easy buck on. Typically we see this just after a player exits the game and is looking for one last cash grab as he transition back into the real world of having a proper job. But we now live in an age of idiocy and influencers with enormous reach and people only too willing to buy whatever shit (as seen in the above bio) they are willing to attach their name.

As an aside. I like that he has a picture of his pet tapeworm as an insta profile pic and when you click on it he's giving it a pat whist taking a selfie in the mirror. Now I know how he got those wonderful abs.
Didn’t Madonna do a coffee table book with a whole lot of pictures? Maybe that’s the gist of it

In fairness we got croft and Sanders for two first rounders. Croft has darcy talent
*Except kicking

Crazy good tank for a big guy though. Attacks the ball in the air well. I still think he's a gun CHB in the making.

I'm sure he'll be a good footballer, I'm just inclined to prefer two shots at a first round talent rather than one.
We may not have had the chance though with our "natural" first round pick last year at risk of a Croft bid.

Cant wait for the melts when we buckle and take 17.
Not much else we can do if that’s the offer with a minute to go. I get someone needs to make a stand but why does it need to be us? It’s only us that will get shafted in this scenario and nothing will change.

Cant wait for the melts when we buckle and take 17.
What it comes down to for me is what likelihood he is to get to Geelong via the draft.

If it looks all but certain he would get there regardless then we would just be cutting off our nose to spite our collective face. See if we can squeeze the lemon a little more for certainty but otherwise take it and move on.

If we think there is a real chance another club will get him then say we need a second pick or get stuffed. In all likelihood Geelong will come up with something. The thought of pissing off Smith, Connors and a sponsor will probably ensure it.

He’s gone though, and in a year where we have no first rounder, letting him get to Geelong for no compensation would be utterly stupid, and would appease a few angry fans for 15 minutes and not much else.

Most of the players have unfollowed him on Insta, including Bont & Libba. That tells you all you need to know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back