Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea about Kennedy and concerned about his pace going by what others say. But if he is tough and goes hard I'm all for it. Hopefully he can raise the bar for the rest of the team in that category. That would be well worth it.
He is very tough and hard

I’m all for Kennedy but this needs to be a late pick type deal. Even a late pick swap. Pick 25 would make me ill.

Blues were happy for him to explore his options.

Fully agree with the first paragraph but god am I sick of hearing people say stuff like the second paragraph.

I can’t go to an open house and offer $100 and when they tell me they’re chasing 900k just tell them “but you don’t even want it”.

Just because they’re willing to let him go doesn’t mean they’re willing to give him away. No different to Macrae and Daniel with us. Yes we’re willing to let them go, doesn’t mean we’re desperate to see the back of them.

I hear you on speed KH but are we actually that slow? If you compare leg-speed over the field to a team like Brisbane I'm actually not sure we come out drastically slower. We are just constantly handballing to stationary targets, over-committing offensively, and turning the ball over which makes us look way slower.

I don't know, I just feel we've put a lot of effort into getting this squad faster since 2016 and it's not really at any point benefited us.

I don't even agree with you on that we're similar to Brisbane in leg speed, but in any case there's speed and then there's quality speed. Our best vs there's

Brisbane (since 2016)

Hugh McCluggae (pick 3)
Charlie Cameron (traded pick 12)
Brandon Starceivich (pick 18)
Cam Rayner (pick 1)
Zac Bailey (pick 15)
Callum Ah Chee (traded 2nd and 4th round pick) (former pick 8)
Darcy Wilmot (pick 16)
Kai Lohmann (pick 20)
Jaspa Fletcher (pick 12)

Dogs (since 2016)

Ed Richard (pick 16)
Bailey Smith (pick 8)
Rhylee West (pick 26)
Cody Weightmen (pick 15)
Lachie McNeil (rookie)
Laithan Vandermeer (pick 37)
Harvey Gallagher (pick 39)
Joel Freijah (pick 45)
Lachie Bramble (SSP)

In terms of quality we aren't really close, the fact is we've spent most of our draft capital on talls and very little on our smalls.

I don't even agree with you on that we're similar to Brisbane in leg speed, but in any case there's speed and then there's quality speed. Our best vs there's

Brisbane (since 2016)

Hugh McCluggae (pick 3)
Cam Rayner (pick 1)
Zac Bailey (pick 15)
Darcy Wilmot (pick 16)
Kai Lohmann (pick 20)
Jaspa Fletcher (pick 12)

Dogs (since 2016)

Ed Richard (pick 16)
Bailey Smith (pick 8)
Rhylee West (pick 26)
Cody Weightmen (pick 15)
Lachie McNeil (rookie)
Joel Freijah (pick 45)
Lachie Bramble (SSP)

In terms of quality we aren't really close, the fact is we've spent most of our draft capital on talls and very little on our smalls.

That was the price for taking JUH and Darcy. Used up our entire draft hand on 1 player two drafts in a row. Worth it, yes. But these are the consequences.

Love me a slow midfielder that won't get to play midfield. I think if we trade out JUH we can fit another one in.

You know what's even better? A midfield that gets monstered by a bunch of kids in a cut throat final. That happened to us. We're too soft. If Kennedy adds just a bit of toughness, I'm for it. We need it. Badly.

Maybe instead of recruiting midfielders we aren’t going to play midfield (and only losing two blokes who didn’t play midfield this year), we could simply try playing Sanders or Garcia (who we just re-signed for three years) there. They are our depth based on last years selections. I’m sure we will also draft a midfielder or two this year.

We also have Gallagher, West, Harmes who can play there too. More than enough depth. Kennedy is not a need and not worth recruiting. Sure, if we get him hope he does well (I don’t think he’s a bad player by any stretch), but I think our resources are better utilised elsewhere.

We don’t have to recruit from other clubs just because we are jealous other clubs have shiny new toys and we don’t.

We usually roll 5 players through the midfield on game days. Assuming Macrae and Smith go:

Bontempelli, Treloar, Liberatore, Richards, Sanders starting five.

Garcia, Gallagher, Harmes good depth there. Plus a draftee or two, plus Weightman and West who can pinch hit there. Almost our most stacked position in terms of quality and depth, and therefore probably should be our lowest priority and not an area of the ground we expend limited salary cap and draft pick resources.

Maybe instead of recruiting midfielders we aren’t going to play midfield (and only losing two blokes who didn’t play midfield this year), we could simply try playing Sanders or Garcia (who we just re-signed for three years) there. They are our depth based on last years selections. I’m sure we will also draft a midfielder or two this year.

We also have Gallagher, West, Harmes who can play there too. More than enough depth. Kennedy is not a need and not worth recruiting. Sure, if we get him hope he does well (I don’t think he’s a bad player by any stretch), but I think our resources are better utilised elsewhere.

We don’t have to recruit from other clubs just because we are jealous other clubs have shiny new toys and we don’t.

We usually roll 5 players through the midfield on game days. Assuming Macrae and Smith go:

Bontempelli, Treloar, Liberatore, Richards, Sanders starting five.

Garcia, Gallagher, Harmes good depth there. Plus a draftee or two, plus Weightman and West who can pinch hit there. Almost our most stacked position in terms of quality and depth, and therefore probably should be our lowest priority and not an area of the ground we expend limited salary cap and draft pick resources.

Ah, but you're assuming Bevo will play Kennedy as a mid! 😉😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane (since 2016)

Hugh McCluggae (pick 3)
Cam Rayner (pick 1)
Zac Bailey (pick 15)
Darcy Wilmot (pick 16)
Kai Lohmann (pick 20)
Jaspa Fletcher (pick 12)

Dogs (since 2016)

Ed Richard (pick 16)
Bailey Smith (pick 8)
Rhylee West (pick 26)
Cody Weightmen (pick 15)
Lachie McNeil (rookie)
Joel Freijah (pick 45)
Lachie Bramble (SSP)

For the majority of that period of time we were in dire needs of key position players, while having a plethora of midfielders. Hence us using our entire draft capital in 2020 and 2021 on JUH and Darcy. Also we used First Round picks on other key position players like Naughton, English, Croft and Busslinger.

If we went out and drafted another mid while we had essentially 6-7 A Grade Mids and 0 A Grade Key Position Players we would've looked like fools.

Last edited:
His only notable knock is his pace. He can play all three lines on the ground and is a serious marking target, either up forward or in transition. He's a reliable shot at goal  and isn't afraid to put his head over the ball. Has solid disposal by hand and foot. Culture doesn't seem to be an issue with the Dogs but by all reports he's a great team mate and clubman.

Don't worry, we'll get that out of his game.

For the majority of that period of time we were in dire needs of key position players, while having a plethora of midfielders. Hence us using our entire draft capital in 2020 and 2021 on JUH and Darcy. Also we used First Round picks on other key position players like Naughton, English, Croft and Croft.

While there is another Croft, he’s playing volleyball. Almost 6’10 and a 7 foot wingspan.

Have to recognise the aggression in the list management. If Macrae is seriously done for midfield minutes and thats not getting undone, why pay him an AA salary to play like a Matt Kennedy. Why not trade Macrae down, get someone younger better at playing the role in the side allocated for him for less.

It sucks coz Ive been a massive Macrae fan for years. But whats the point in having him come on as sub, it's a total waste. You may as well get a best 22 role player that is good at playing the role.

A wild trade period, I like that we are trying to have the list turn over without going too young but some huge names going. But the other side is, none of those huge names had any meaningful impact on our 2024 season, so why spend $2m on them. Hmmmmm - **** knows

Have to recognise the aggression in the list management. If Macrae is seriously done for midfield minutes and thats not getting undone, why pay him an AA salary to play like a Matt Kennedy. Why not trade Macrae down, get someone younger better at playing the role in the side allocated for him for less.

It sucks coz Ive been a massive Macrae fan for years. But whats the point in having him come on as sub, it's a total waste. You may as well get a best 22 role player that is good at playing the role.

A wild trade period, I like that we are trying to have the list turn over without going too young but some huge names going. But the other side is, none of those huge names had any meaningful impact on our 2024 season, so why spend $2m on them. Hmmmmm - **** knows
Imagine what we could of got last year. I guess the decision for him not to play mid was made last offseason. He's never been able to play another position. Don't know why that would change. Fair enough to give him a chance but could have been great for both if a trade happened then. Bev and Sam not aligned there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back