Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to have been prepared for the trades to not go through, and the consequences.

Then Geelong and other clubs would know that next time we are dealing with them, and we take a strong position, that we are prepared to hold our ground.

Hold what ground? We held our ground and got another pick upgrade which got us Kennedy, clearly a team first, blue collar, tough as nails, hard tackler kind of player - everything the show pony we let go isn't.

I guarantee had we walked Smith to the draft and I would've been OK with that, there would've been the same uproar in here (how could we get nothing for him...sack Power... the club is a mess etc etc).

Last edited:

Long term, yes.

What happens in 2026 when JUH is out of contract and Geelong have just won another flag, convince JUH to request a trade and only offer pick 18?

You don't allow him to get out of contract and while we're at it we start getting our hands dirty and white anting their contacted players.

People seem to have severely inflated the value of draft picks recently. They are always hit and miss.

Smith is a proven performer, in his prime, and definitely worth our asking price. We should have held fast.

In order to gain credibility at the trade table you need to be prepared to walk away from bad deals. We don't know how to say 'no' and stick to it!

That is why we get low-balled year after year.
Low balled? We just got 25 for Caleb Daniel.

Hold what ground? We held our ground and got another pick upgrade which got us Kennedy, clear a team first, blue collar, tough as nails, hard tackler kind of player - everything the show pony we let go isn't.

I guarantee had we walked Smith to the draft and I would've been OK with that, there would've been the same uproar in here (how could we get nothing for him...sack Power... the club is a mess etc etc).
There would have been no uproar from me.

Exactly.

What did people honestly, honestly, think we would get for Macrae?

Both Macrae and Daniel clubs would've looked at thinking they're not superstars now but they can be handy and good contributors for us. Handy and good contributors, that's it.

Smith wasn't coming back, so holding him would have been just stupid. He was going one way or the other.

The Hawks put it all on black giving up F1, F2 and F3 for a 29 year old key back with a dodgy injury history. Yeah, they got Battle for nothing but that's a hell of a risk. Nothing is a given and I think they think they'll just march into a Grand Final. Reminds me of us when we got Hall.

There would have been no uproar from me.

You would've been happy to get nothing at all for Smith?

We lost and were belted up in an Elim Final. We were soft. Are we improving by keeping Macrae and Daniel on the list? No, we're not. We're treading water.

Are there players worse than those two on our list, absolutely. Would they get us anything in trades? Not a cracker.

So, we cashed in players we knew had value but were not part of our future plans and shipped off another with plenty of baggage and as far away from the team first mentality as you can get.

Personally, I'll take the likes of Kennedy now over the likes of Sniff. The hard edged, team first, Matthew Boyd types. Invaluable. As for Macrae and Daniel, we'll see what happens. They'll be solid for their teams, but I think in the end we'll be proven to have made the right choices.

Last edited:
If u guys get Butters to agree to request a trade to the Dogs, you guys do realise how much it will cost you.

How many future firsts do u guys have?

Super consistent, non-injury prone, premiership player, best and fairest winner, with plenty left in the tank swapped for a 2nd round draft pick.

Immediately a good deal for North.

For us, we need to try our best to pick well and then cross our fingers for a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super consistent, non-injury prone, premiership player, best and fairest winner, with plenty left in the tank swapped for a 2nd round draft pick.

Immediately a good deal for North.

For us, we need to try our best to pick well and then cross our fingers for a few years.
BnF/AA will be 5 years ago start of next year premiership 9

Should we bring Adam Cooney out of retirement because he was a brownlow winner a decade and a half ago?

If Smith were a FA we would have received pick 14.
You say that, but everyone who goes to Geelong only goes there for the lifestyle and the culture, so surely Bailey would have only been on $400K a year on Geelong's books.

2nd round compo pick incoming...

:tonguewink:

You can have our first next year and the two pick 18s in 2026 and 2027 we’ll end up with if we have Zak.
If we really wanted to get Butters we should have gone hard for him this year, in a multi-club deal involving the some of players we ended up trading out.

He has gone to Collingwood now, so we should forget about it.

By the time there is another chance to get him, it is unlikely to be worth the trouble.

If we really wanted to get Butters we should have gone hard for him this year, in a multi-club deal involving the some of players we ended up trading out.

He has gone to Collingwood now, so we should forget about it.

By the time there is another chance to get him, it is unlikely to be worth the trouble.
Hes still at port mate

ahahaahah, these vic's cannot tell butters apart from Houston

BnF/AA will be 5 years ago start of next year premiership 9

Should we bring Adam Cooney out of retirement because he was a brownlow winner a decade and a half ago?

It would be interesting to calculate the current likelihood of pick 25 yielding an AFL Club B&F winner, but I'd be happy to bet that it is pretty low.

It would be interesting to calculate the current likelihood of pick 25 yielding an AFL Club B&F winner, but I'd be happy to bet that it is pretty low.
So what you are saying is we should've traded pick 17 we got for Baz and traded it for Darcy Byrne-Jones who was also a BnF and AA winner in 2020 like Daniel?

Given the supposed evenness and quality of this years draft I’m wondering if Power has his eye on one of Richmond’s firsts with our F1. Or an upgrade from 17 by using a F2.

We will probably need a lot of draft assets in 2025 so maybe not.

But of course we could just keep doing what we’ve done - keep borrowing from a future year. No reason we couldn’t do that every year. Happens in the financial world all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back