Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Paton is a guy who could definitely fill a need on our list as that lockdown small defender. Duryea is already defying the odds playing this long on one year deals and would love to have a young guy be able to come in and take that roll or as cover for injury. He's had pretty good wins against the Charlie Camerons and Stengles in the past who have given us some trouble.

Yeah Paton is a guy who could definitely fill a need on our list as that lockdown small defender. Duryea is already defying the odds playing this long on one year deals and would love to have a young guy be able to come in and take that roll or as cover for injury. He's had pretty good wins against the Charlie Camerons and Stengles in the past who have given us some trouble.

I was a fan of his before he broke his leg. Doesn't seem to have properly recovered from it but I'd be willing to give him a go

Plastics wanted him last i read

Bevo will probably throw Gardner in the ruck if English went down
I wish this were a joke.
Maybe we just have to make the best of the situation.

If we don't want to divert Darcy and Lobb from their most effective roles (KPF & KPD) and if Lachie Smith isn't yet ready then we have nobody as a viable back up ruck.

However ...

For some reason we have Gardner on a 3 year contract that runs until 2026. We probably don't want him playing as a KPD any more, but he has shown he can just about hold his own at VFL level in the ruck, sometimes against some pretty handy opponents.

All we would want if we had to resort to him rucking is for him to neutralise his AFL opponent so that the opposition doesn't get silver service at the stoppages.

This to me seems a passable fallback position that would save us having to use a pick (ND or Rookie D) and a list spot on an unproven state league ruck or an emerging junior. Neither of whom might be ahead of L Smith anyway.

If you could get Brayden Crossley fitter he would be a great relief for Tim English. He is only about 25?? Could our fitness fella that was at the giants work with him enough to get him ready?

If you could get Brayden Crossley fitter he would be a great relief for Tim English. He is only about 25?? Could our fitness fella that was at the giants work with him enough to get him ready?
He doesn't seem to be committed to AFL level. Might just be one of those blokes that likes playing VFL with his mates and have a beer afterwards. If not why wouldn't he have tried to get in shape and try to be a prospect for recruiters?

I know it’s not a big deal at all but the post the bulldogs did about Smith on Insta was gross. Read the room, we hate the prick. Acted like we acquired his services.

And posting it before Macrae’s…
Disagree, it showed a lot of class that as a club we were above being petty and vindictive.

He doesn't seem to be committed to AFL level. Might just be one of those blokes that likes playing VFL with his mates and have a beer afterwards. If not why wouldn't he have tried to get in shape and try to be a prospect for recruiters?
Worth a chat though. He has many attributes Timmy doesn’t have, and has the time to make a career out of his time left.

Tom Clurey delisted by Port with a year left on his deal. Think we'll do the same with Gardner in a years time.

One of the things which really pissed me off this year in the VFL is that we were playing AFL-listed players out of position for improved overall team success when we were lacking depth in certain positions. Clearly it worked for us, given the VFL team made a prelim, but what good does it do our club as a whole to have Ryan Gardner spending half his season playing either up forward, or at various stages, in the ruck? We did the same thing was Croft this year, too. We need to have role-players like Gardner spending 100% of their VFL time in the position we may actually need them for in the firsts. I actually feel bad for Gardner, because what chance of a senior AFL call up did he even have this year when he was barely able to consistently play down back?

One of the things which really pissed me off this year in the VFL is that we were playing AFL-listed players out of position for improved overall team success when we were lacking depth in certain positions. Clearly it worked for us, given the VFL team made a prelim, but what good does it do our club as a whole to have Ryan Gardner spending half his season playing either up forward, or at various stages, in the ruck? We did the same thing was Croft this year, too. We need to have role-players like Gardner spending 100% of their VFL time in the position we may actually need them for in the firsts. I actually feel bad for Gardner, because what chance of a senior AFL call up did he even have this year when he was barely able to consistently play down back?
So you are suggesting Buss, Buku, Keath all ahead of Gards should have been played out of position, 2 of who are being developed for the future in the AFL, the other ahead of Gards in 2024?

For Gards to play down back in 2024 in the AFL we needed 4 KPD injuries before he got a game. Plus he missed a chunk of games due to injury.

Croft's position is still not clear, he is still developing. May be a Forward/Ruck may be a Back. Needs time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we just have to make the best of the situation.

If we don't want to divert Darcy and Lobb from their most effective roles (KPF & KPD) and if Lachie Smith isn't yet ready then we have nobody as a viable back up ruck.

However ...

For some reason we have Gardner on a 3 year contract that runs until 2026. We probably don't want him playing as a KPD any more, but he has shown he can just about hold his own at VFL level in the ruck, sometimes against some pretty handy opponents.

All we would want if we had to resort to him rucking is for him to neutralise his AFL opponent so that the opposition doesn't get silver service at the stoppages.

This to me seems a passable fallback position that would save us having to use a pick (ND or Rookie D) and a list spot on an unproven state league ruck or an emerging junior. Neither of whom might be ahead of L Smith anyway.

I would support this if Gardner wasn't largely made out of papier mache and English didn't possess the unnerving and periodical propensity to resemble the French armed forces in mid-1940, but this is unfortunately not the case. Thus I would feel much more secure with a ready replacement.

Gardner playing every position on the ground in the VFL is more a product of how far back in the pecking order he is as a defender and just throwing stuff at the wall hoping it will stick.

I think that's why we gave him a 6 year deal, to allow ourselves plenty of opportunity to see where he might be useful (or not). We didn't want to die wondering with him.

I think that's why we gave him a 6 year deal, to allow ourselves plenty of opportunity to see where he might be useful (or not). We didn't want to die wondering with him.
Luckily it doesn't appear to be hurting us when it comes to the cap, must be on absolute minimum chips. The list spot is a different story.

Gardner finished 7th in our best and fairest in 2022, basically the only year on our list that he was fit throughout the year.

I think we can question his ability to stay fit, both in terms of staying on the park but also as an athletic player who provides value largely out of being an athlete more than a skilled footballer, that a bit of drop off of prime athletic fitness inhibits him as a player, but overall, this idea that he isn't a solid AFL list quality player, or that if his contract wasn't so long we wouldn't be looking to offer him a new contract anyway (we would have) is a bit strange to me. His 2022 season is his runs on the board. It's a far more proven productive contribution at AFL level and far more recent than many other players beloved by many here that have never shown that output.

Will be a mini clear out next year following OOC can oly see 2-3 staying:

Baker
Duryea
Scott
JJ
Cleary
Vandermeer
Poulter
Coffield
A.Jones
I can see four and maybe five staying

Baker 80% - his VFL stats were very good (overlooked by many on here) and he would consistently get a game for a fringe finals team in the AFL. We just bat deep in his position. He'll probably get more games in 2025 than in 2024 without Macrae and Daniel
Duryea 30% - while unlikely if his 2025 form is the same as 2024 that's still good enough to be listed for the following year.
Scott 20%
JJ 5%
Cleary 20%
Vandermeer 90%. He was a cemented member of our best 22 in 2024. Even if he is injured for the whole of 2025 or his form drops off and he's dropped from the best 22, his 2024 consistent selection should merit a contract for 2026 in a hope that he can reclaim his 2024 contributions for 2026 - and that's even a worst case scenario.
Poulter 50% - has talent, it's a mental game for him
Coffield 35%. If his body holds up he's clearly an AFL list capable player. On his body and not his form
A.Jones 55%

Adds up to 430%.

He was interviewed over the trade period and expressed interest in playing AFL again

Gardner finished 7th in our best and fairest in 2022, basically the only year on our list that he was fit throughout the year.

I think we can question his ability to stay fit, both in terms of staying on the park but also as an athletic player who provides value largely out of being an athlete more than a skilled footballer, that a bit of drop off of prime athletic fitness inhibits him as a player, but overall, this idea that he isn't a solid AFL list quality player, or that if his contract wasn't so long we wouldn't be looking to offer him a new contract anyway (we would have) is a bit strange to me. His 2022 season is his runs on the board. It's a far more proven productive contribution at AFL level and far more recent than many other players beloved by many here that have never shown that output.

It was his best year but I’m not convinced it was that good. Towards the end of the year he had started taking intercept marks which was an important improvement. He was still never a type you’d give more than a one or two year deal, that he essentially got a four year deal was bewildering.

Not sure you can read too much into coming 7th in the B+F, it’s voted by the only guys in football that thought he was good. Think Lachie Plowman had two consecutive top 3 finishes in B+F’s and then was delisted a year after. Doesn’t mean he was ever good.

He was interviewed over the trade period and expressed interest in playing AFL again

I think if he got himself into shape he’d be picked up in a second. Almost every club is screaming out for a capable back up ruck.

I don’t think he’d get picked up before that though. Even as a rookie spot its too big of a risk to take a punt on a guy who probably needs to drop 10kg

I can see four and maybe five staying

Baker 80% - his VFL stats were very good (overlooked by many on here) and he would consistently get a game for a fringe finals team in the AFL. We just bat deep in his position. He'll probably get more games in 2025 than in 2024 without Macrae and Daniel
Duryea 30% - while unlikely if his 2025 form is the same as 2024 that's still good enough to be listed for the following year.
Scott 20%
JJ 5%
Cleary 20%
Vandermeer 90%. He was a cemented member of our best 22 in 2024. Even if he is injured for the whole of 2025 or his form drops off and he's dropped from the best 22, his 2024 consistent selection should merit a contract for 2026 in a hope that he can reclaim his 2024 contributions for 2026 - and that's even a worst case scenario.
Poulter 50% - has talent, it's a mental game for him
Coffield 35%. If his body holds up he's clearly an AFL list capable player. On his body and not his form
A.Jones 55%

Adds up to 430%.
Baker wouldn't get a game at a fringe finals player he isn't good enough 27 next year
Duryea/JJ retire for me
Scott similar to Baker old and not good enough
Vanders will be fine
Can see 1 of Poulter/Jones staying however will depend on how many AFL games each gets
Coffield will depend on his body agreed

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back