Trade/Delistings/List Management 2010 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2010: Make or Break for which players?

Contracts can be paid out, so I dont see that as stopping the club getting rid of players who arent performing.
Unfortunately theres question marks on a few:

Houli, Laycock, Akinson, Quinn, Jetta come to mind immediately
Davey, NLM, H.Slat would want to do well to be completely safe
Prismall, Neagle, Myers, less likely but if they dont improve will be looked at, even our vice captain Welsh.

Welsh - v.captain but needs to lift

Contracts can be paid out, so I dont see that as stopping the club getting rid of players who arent performing.
Unfortunately theres question marks on a few:

Houli, Laycock, Akinson, Quinn, Jetta come to mind immediately
Davey, NLM, H.Slat would want to do well to be completely safe
Prismall, Neagle, Myers, less likely but if they dont improve will be looked at, even our vice captain Welsh.

Welsh - v.captain but needs to lift

Why would you even mention these names in this thread.

Prismall SHOULD be OK but only really cemented a place in the side late last year. I like the guy and think theres a lot of upside, but like anyone else he has to earn his stripes
Welsh delayed signing, to me looks like hes lost a hard or two of pace, and his disposal can be poor. No question over his attack on the ball or leadership qualities, and now hes vice captain so again SHOULD be OK, but nothing certain in this game.
Both have had major injuries.
Watson, Winders, & Stanton in front of these guys as onballers, McVeigh & Dyson equal to if not better, and plenty of others like Hocking, Lonregan, even Myers competing for their spots....
Love to be proven wrong about them both though, and hope they have a great 2010.

Surprised Hocking hasn't been mentioned much and cannot believe Prismall has been mentioned. Welsh will play out his contract and won't be renewed after that I'd imagine. I can acknowledge the love for Slats and to a lesser extent NLM and co, but you can't be serious about winning a premiership with Slattery, Lovett-Murray and Hocking in your best 22.

Prismall SHOULD be OK but only really cemented a place in the side late last year.

That may have had something to do with the ACL injury. :rolleyes:

Surprised Hocking hasn't been mentioned much and cannot believe Prismall has been mentioned. Welsh will play out his contract and won't be renewed after that I'd imagine. I can acknowledge the love for Slats and to a lesser extent NLM and co, but you can't be serious about winning a premiership with Slattery, Lovett-Murray and Hocking in your best 22.

while it doesnt necessarily mean that its make or break for these guys this year! i totally agree with you and they need to be pushed out, but at this point in time all 3of them are probably top 25, which is hopefully top30 by the end of the year!

Houli, Jetta, Davey, Lonergan and Atkinson should be ok, but they will want to show a bit more than last year (albeit maybe a bit harsh on Atkinson who did well towards the latter stages of the H & A season).

NLM and Laycock need to have steller seasons to remain on the list.

My view:
Laycock - would need a cracker year to remain
(going to be flamed here but...) If Gumbie goes down again for the year, could be time to cut losses and move on.
Jetta AND Davey surely need to be looked at.

will say i am NOT trying to troll etc...

Let's be realistic, with GC and GWS we are going to do minimal pruning.

Therefore 3 you would think would be the maximum to go.

Laycock - obvious
Atkinson - needs to perform
T Slattery - harsh but has to show something
Houli - love him but has to to pull finger out
Reimers - see houli
Hocking - see Houli
Daniher - seems out of favour - needs to have a big year
Jetta- see houli
Hardingham - tough but has to be in the gun - show a little and he'll survive - although we thought that of Paul Thomas.

Apologies if any of the above are contracted.

Let's be realistic, with GC and GWS we are going to do minimal pruning.

Therefore 3 you would think would be the maximum to go.

Laycock - obvious
Atkinson - needs to perform
T Slattery - harsh but has to show something
Houli - love him but has to to pull finger out
Reimers - see houli
Hocking - see Houli
Daniher - seems out of favour - needs to have a big year
Jetta- see houli
Hardingham - tough but has to be in the gun - show a little and he'll survive - although we thought that of Paul Thomas.

Apologies if any of the above are contracted.

Daniher is 20, T Slattery is 19, thats very harsh considering pretty much none of the players in our team have showed anything until they were 22(barring probably Ryder and Hurley and Fletch). Daniher definitely deserves at least a couple more years to move into Lovett-Murrays role, considering it took Lovett-Murray 6years to start finding a little bit of consistency!

i also dont believe that Dyson is much further ahead than Reimers! Reimers is 21 and is probably right where Dyson was at the same age, same with Houli! may aswell add Jetta in there aswell sometimes the indigenous players take that extra year or 2 to get used to pressures of AFL.

and there is no Lonergan on that list, surely he should be right next to Hocking?

if we get rid of Laycock we better hope Bellchambers comes good otherwise we are stuffed in 5years! and looking for ruckmen! but i still agree with everyone that he is in the line of sight, with Atkinson!

If we are being pragmatic Daniher is probably for trade. He seems to have enough talent to do a job at AFL level but he does not have the, lets call it x-factor, that other young key position players on our list have.

Pears: very good rebounding and is already beating good AFL forwards
Hooker: very tall and very athletic, and wins the ball
Carslile: protected by age, came very highly regarded when drafted
Hurley: need I say more
Ryder: seems capable of almost anything (and any position)
Gumbleton: assume that he would be something akin to Riewoldt if he could get on the park
Still: probably excluded because of age but there is something about the boy
Neagle: explosiveness, great kick and hands.

I wouldn't prefer Daniher in ourside at the expense of any of the above (other than Still and Carslile).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are being pragmatic Daniher is probably trade bait. He seems to have enough talent to do a job at AFL level but he does not have the, lets call it x-factor, that other young key position players on our list have.

Pears: very good rebounding and is already beating good AFL forwards
Hooker: very tall and very athletic, can play 3 positions and wins the ball
Carslile: protected by age, came very highly regarded when drafted
Hurley: need I say more
Ryder: seems capable of almost anything (and any position)
Gumbleton: assume that he would be something akin to Riewoldt if he could get on the park
Still: probably excluded because of age but there is something about the boy
Neagle: explosiveness, great kick and hands.

I wouldn't prefer Daniher in ourside at the expense of any of the above (other than Still and Carslile).

he wouldnt take any of those positions because he isnt a key position player!! as i said hes got to look at taking the lovett-murray or Mcphee position!

he wouldnt take any of those positions because he isnt a key position player!! as i said hes got to look at taking the lovett-murray or Mcphee position!
The McPhee position? Which is what, a 3rd or 4th tall in the backline? It's not really a position in the 22 but rather a fringe position which the matchday committee decide whether they need him (or a player of similar calibre) to play down back depending on the opposition.

Not that many teams out there have ample KP forwards. There's usually two or three KPs, with the club hoping maybe a fourth tall turns up on the day and kicks a few but you can't really plan for luck by picking an additional tall defender.

The McPhee position? Which is what, a 3rd or 4th tall in the backline? It's not really a position in the 22 but rather a fringe position which the matchday committee decide whether they need him (or a player of similar calibre) to play down back depending on the opposition.

Not that many teams out there have ample KP forwards. There's usually two or three KPs, with the club hoping maybe a fourth tall turns up on the day and kicks a few but you can't really plan for luck by picking an additional tall defender.

well he isnt going to hold down a KP so he needs to be more versatile if he wants a game is what im saying!

IMO Daniher will be one of those players who you put in the side as a HFF who can also play as a CHF, like McPhlee, as IMO he can play in every single position in the forward line and change the game from there. I want to see him starting at HFF during the year and domin8ing from there

While I think the 3 player cull is all we are likley to do, we must also remember that anyone of our players coming out of contract may walk to GC - so we may not even need to prune that much due to 1 or 2 players walking.

Makes for an interesting season.

Each year at the satrt of the season it is always so hard to find 3-4 players really in the gun (aside from whipping boys) but by seasons end it is usually more easy.

well he isnt going to hold down a KP so he needs to be more versatile if he wants a game is what im saying!
Yeah, well, I don't see Daniher being that versatile to begin with but we'll wait n see I guess.
While I think the 3 player cull is all we are likley to do, we must also remember that anyone of our players coming out of contract may walk to GC - so we may not even need to prune that much due to 1 or 2 players walking.

Makes for an interesting season.

Each year at the satrt of the season it is always so hard to find 3-4 players really in the gun (aside from whipping boys) but by seasons end it is usually more easy.
In the next two years we're going to find out exactly which clubs out there have the best or worst list management.

Guys that need to improve:

Atkinson, Davey, Houli, Jetta, Laycock, J. Williams

Guys we owe nothing to:

Bock, Crameri, Hardingham, Howlett, Marigliani, Quinn, Silverlock.

Guys that may have currency with Gold Coast or other clubs:

Fletch, Gumbleton, Hille, Hurley, Lonergan, McVeigh, Monfries, Myers, Reimers, H. Slattery, T. Slattery, Stanton.

All the above are out of contract at the end of the year - and whilst you would think guys like Fletch, McVeigh, Hille or Stanton who are senior well respected members of the club would seem extremely unlikely to move DONT think it cant happen.
If the carrot is big enough and they arent entirely happy at Essendon towards the end of 2010 for whatever reason why wouldnt they go to the Gold Coast for a year or 2 to make some good $$ before the end of their careers...?? Like most things in life money talks and sentiment can quicly go out the window when that happens - see Luke Ball.
This can also be seen with players such us Locket, Carey, Brereton and many others who were club champions but went somewhere else for the final years of their career.

Guys that need to improve:

Atkinson, Davey, Houli, Jetta, Laycock, J. Williams

Guys we owe nothing to:

Bock, Crameri, Hardingham, Howlett, Marigliani, Quinn, Silverlock.

Guys that may have currency with Gold Coast or other clubs:

Fletch, Gumbleton, Hille, Hurley, Lonergan, McVeigh, Monfries, Myers, Reimers, H. Slattery, T. Slattery, Stanton.

All the above are out of contract at the end of the year - and whilst you would think guys like Fletch, McVeigh, Hille or Stanton who are senior well respected members of the club would seem extremely unlikely to move DONT think it cant happen.
If the carrot is big enough and they arent entirely happy at Essendon towards the end of 2010 for whatever reason why wouldnt they go to the Gold Coast for a year or 2 to make some good $$ before the end of their careers...?? Like most things in life money talks and sentiment can quicly go out the window when that happens - see Luke Ball.
This can also be seen with players such us Locket, Carey, Brereton and many others who were club champions but went somewhere else for the final years of their career.
Prefer to leave those names out.

how many players leave teams on the rise if they are a big part of that rise?

Carey left for obvious reasons but north werent going anywhere when he left!, Hawks were on the way down in 93 when Dermie left,

If we are being pragmatic Daniher is probably for trade. He seems to have enough talent to do a job at AFL level but he does not have the, lets call it x-factor, that other young key position players on our list have.

You must be taking the urine here. Trade value would be? What have Still or Carlisle done that Daniher hasn't?

You must be taking the urine here. Trade value would be? What have Still or Carlisle done that Daniher hasn't?
He's saying that Still and Carlisle are the only 2 KPP behind Daniher...

Re Daniher:

He's saying that Still and Carlisle are the only 2 KPP behind Daniher...

And both are excluded from calculations because they are both (effectively) first year players.

I also think that the versatility comments are motivated by a desire to keep a historical name on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back