List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

In all of this, the one thing that puzzles me (and many others here, apparently) is the club's urgent desire to obtain another forward (Caddy, A Reid) when the list looks much thinner for KPDs.

We have McGovern (ageing, injury-prone), Barrass (subject to interest from other clubs), H Edwards (injury-prone, not as good as Gov or Barrass anyway), Bazzo (needs development, probably undersized). What are our plans?
You essentially play three talls in the forward line because you need a second ruck somewhere. Backline you only really need two. So I can see why you need more forward line talls depth. McGovern is also playing at a higher level than Darling. Key forwards are also more important than key backs.

You essentially play three talls in the forward line because you need a second ruck somewhere. Backline you only really need two. So I can see why you need more forward line talls depth. McGovern is also playing at a higher level than Darling. Key forwards are also more important than key backs.
Good key forwards are very hard to find -we have a few options but most will not make it. Its a tough position.

Astonished peeps think we don’t need Tim English. WCE have lots of money and not a lot of talent.

If he’s willing, WC would bite that off without a second thought. We have a young midfield and whilst Bailey was really good last season, Tim could definitely help grow and protect the youngsters a lot more. As an aside Ive heard Warner is extremely happy at Sydney, however there is a strong family pull back home. Definitely a watch this space.
If we were a couple of years deeper into our climb back up the ladder then English would be more appealing. But he will cost $1M+ and will be 30 when we start to contend again. He is a 207cm link up midfielder, poor ruck craft and poor physicality for his size.

Our young list needs more of a bash and crash ruckman to help our young mids walk taller. English on $1M+ could hamstring us when our young guns come up for their next contracts.

Would much rather a cheaper free agent with some agro next year like Cam Zurhaar (also as an FU to North although they would probably land another unjust compo pick) then Sam Taylor the following year when we are starting to improve and losing some veterans like Gov, Darling, Gaff and Cripps.

Mentioning Sydney, if Sheldrick struggles for a game next year with the addition of Taylor Adams, he could be solid WA mid worth targeting. Could be some interesting conversations with the Swans if their interest in TB remains and Logan McDonald wants to come home. Not sure on LMac but he could thrive as a second tall to Oscar and would be fun to wreck Freo’s plans to land him.

The saga continues about Schoenmaker. This is from a Saints supporter - obviously take with a massive grain of salt as it's all unverified but who would make this up - especially from a poster that supports the club that just drafted him.

My involvement is that I'm really close with the victim's brother. I never witnessed it but have heard from more than ten people the same things, plus the victim's brother. I'd stand by this in court. Obviously, very hard to prove.

Arie's bullying went further than usual name calling, physical intimidation, social media harassment (he did all of that but plenty of kids do) you may expect. He would overwhelm his victim deliberately to trigger a response, usually anger. This response was due to his disability. In situations we might react calmly, his victim would become heated. Some of this was filmed and shared which has a huge impact on reputation. He'd often bate the victim into making poor choices or to say things he shouldn't whilst pretending to be a mate. Repeatedly told to leave the victim alone, repeatedly given warnings but it continued for years and only got worse with age.

Arie's final act was on a three day trip with the victim as part of a school activity and turned it into a bully fest. The details were largely withheld but it was the reason Arie was asked to leave (expelled but schools don't like saying that due to government data collection) due to his actions. What I can say is the victim was very much in fear of his personal safety and left early.

If clubs called the right people it may have factored into decision making. But I don't think it would have had much of an impact because realistically, he's got the "I'm young" card.

Sliding to Pick 62 should say something in itself. Every club, including Collingwood who needed him more than Jiath, passed. I don't believe the full extent of alcohol is out yet. I know he bought alcohol then pressured his underage mates to drink on a pre-season training camp but I there's more that will remain a closely-guarded story.

St Kilda were in overdrive deleting comments last night. I don't feel upset posting this as he made a conscious choice to bully and the impact was profound.

In saying all this, Arie trains at my gym and he is a good athlete. I've tried to find flaws in his game but there aren't many. But he has got to clean up his act. He's had some words of apology to the victim but they still live the impacts and so does the family. Footy clubs can bring out the best in kids but he will need a strong support team and one-on-one mentorship. I'd be banning him from nightclubs, finding a senior player to live with, encouraging him to have a few psychology sessions to improve as a person and getting him involved in the community.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Hall be a 200 gamer and one of the first picked every week!
Some players just attract the footy.
Can’t kick? His highlights package looked fine and really do people think kicks out of the middle are always controlled?
I’d just like to see the ball going forward of centre for once and I don’t care how! We will have a top forward line just get the ball to them asap!

I get the confusion, but it's worth noting that Darling is aging and we don't really have a pure key forward play.

While Waterman and Maric are decent prospects, I think the club sees them playing more of a 3rd tall higher up the ground.

We will need to develop someone like AReid into a pure FF/CHF, otherwise we risk leaving OAllen by himself.

Got to tell Andrew Mackie a story today, the only real highlight of the draft for me.

Think Freo drafted really well considering the picks they had. All 3 players have a major deficiency but their positive aspects are very good and help balance their team well in that lack of speed on their draftees will be offset by the very fast players in the positions that surround them.

I wish all the eagles draftees the best but am only really happy with the Hall pick. Reid was always going pick 1 so it's really nothing to chirp about.

Not Chasing talls with the clubs latter picks just astounds me.
Haven’t seen much of Hall but seems a polarising pick. Great size and had some monster games statistically but sounds like he can butcher the ball? U18 All Australian midfield must mean there is something to work with there.

Can he be the accumulating mid that we have all been wanting to complement the more attacking Hewett/Reid and the defensive beast Ginbey?

There is always next year to target a high end balanced mid and some outside pace and polish..

Key Backs: Barrass, McGovern, HEdwards, Bazzo
3rd Tall Backs: Rotham

Rucks: Flynn, Barnett, Jamieson

Ruck/Forwards: BWilliams, JWilliams

Key Forwards: OAllen, Darling, Reid?
3rd Tall Forwards: Waterman, Maric

I also get the impression that the club maybe isn't completely sold on some of these prospects working out, a few are out of contract at the end of 2024.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Hall be a 200 gamer and one of the first picked every week!
Can’t kick? His highlights package looked fine and really do people think kicks out of the middle are always controlled?
I’d just like to see the ball going forward of centre for once and I don’t care how! We will have a top forward line just get the ball to them asap!
Been watching Dangerfield butcher the footy and dump kick hospital balls when under pressure for years and hasn’t held him back 🤷🏻‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The saga continues about Schoenmaker. This is from a Saints supporter - obviously take with a massive grain of salt as it's all unverified but who would make this up - especially from a poster that supports the club that just drafted him.
Not condoning his behaviour but having structure and access to professional services should help him. He'll be on a very short leash I imagine.

I'm feeling okay with how we've drafted so far.

Harley is Harley. 10/10

Archer Reid I feel could be anything - for a guy his size he's super fluid in how he moves (not just how he covers the ground but also how he looks with ball in hand). Guy's that size tend to look goofy af with how they kick and move around - Archer doesn't

Hall I'm pretty happy with. You can't deny his output and I love the way he goes about about his footy. Some of the old guys will learn a thing or two straight away from him (Dom and Gaffy, I'm looking at you). Ben Keays was a pretty good comparison from another poster. Alongside Reid, Ginbey and Hewett, we'll have a very powerful midfield group in the future.

Johnston was out of left field. He kind of reminds me of Wanganeen-Milera in how he moves, which is good. He has a nice step on him

I hope we pick up Sanchez and/or O'Leary today 🤞🤞

Can’t see the point in Livingstone that’s what a 5th or 6th ruck on the list if you count archer reid as well.
We need some muscle and aggressive intent to protect the kids. In both sides.

Getting for free as an NGA is fine. Worst case he helps straighten up the Beagles.

Last edited:
In all of this, the one thing that puzzles me (and many others here, apparently) is the club's urgent desire to obtain another forward (Caddy, A Reid) when the list looks much thinner for KPDs.

We have McGovern (ageing, injury-prone), Barrass (subject to interest from other clubs), H Edwards (injury-prone, not as good as Gov or Barrass anyway), Bazzo (needs development, probably undersized). What are our plans?
Im not convinced H Edwards will make it. Looks lumbersome. I was surprised ZZ and then Murphy were overlooked

What a grubby campaigner.

I get the ‘young and stupid’ card but I never found it too difficult to not be an A grade ****head growing up.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him get shitmixed a few times when he debuts.

Not condoning his behaviour but having structure and access to professional services should help him. He'll be on a very short leash I imagine.

The issue is character and why he needs to be on a short leach.

Football is a forgiving code. AFLNT Leading Goalkicker award still named after a wife basher.

Our code has a long way to go in certain areas.

Think he makes a good tagging option also

As time goes on I’m happier with the A. Reid pick, he’s a point of difference as a genuine extra tall forward and in terms of pure tall forwards we clearly highlighted a need there given we were prepared to trade up for Caddy after Curtin went to Radelaide - FWIW I hope he does well over there at a proper footy club in the Crows.

Hall was clearly not thought to last and while it’s mildly annoying to have to trade a pick to get him, he could yet be a star.

It’s the Harvey Johnson pick that’s got me. There was a lot of quality on the board there even then and we went for the dark horse.

Also, full marks for whoever said his name sounds like a mediocre US president from the 19th century. He really does.

Hopefully he can prove to be yet another late pick gem like Noah Long was.

What a grubby campaigner.

I get the ‘young and stupid’ card but I never found it too difficult to not be an A grade *head growing up.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him get shitmixed a few times when he debuts.

He was also suspended for 10 games last season - ostensibly due to supplying alcohol at a camp when underage - but let's be real here, that in itself is not worthy of a 10 game ban.

Of course, the article on afl.com.au about him being drafted glosses over everything and ignores why a possible top 10-15 pick slid to pick 60+.

Looking forward to the footage of this year's 'war room' to be released next year which shows our shock, awe and amazement that all of our second night picks were available when it was our turn. Curious to see how much mayo Simmo was putting on that. I doubt there's a repeat of the Long situation being rated in the 20s and grabbing him late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back