Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think we gotta avoid calling it a super draft or anything like that. Most of the time the experts make comments like "there's a good group of talls coming through" and through a series of Chinese whispers, the media and forum posters start saying stuff like "it's stacked with talls" or "next year's top 10 is much better than this year's."

I've already compiled an ordered list of 60+ players eligible to be drafted next year based on what I've seen this year. My take, at the moment not much excites me outside my current top 25. While there's plenty to like about those inside my top 25, there's a long way to go, some will clean up their flaws and improve upon their strengths, other won't and will drop down the order. Players from outside that picture will come up through the year after big individual off-seasons.

To share some of what I've seen. IMO I have a clear top 2, Connor Ballenden, if he continues the way he's gone so far, he'll be among the best key forwards to come through the draft over the last few years (Brisbane academy member). Jarrod Brander, I prefer as a CHB, but he can play forward or even through the midfield at 195cm (currently in the GWS academy). After that, the rest of the top 25 would be comparable to this years top 25, and that's not a bad thing, I just think we'll be disappointed if we over-hype it too much.
My favourite 2 At the moment are Darcy Fogarty and Lochie O'Brien with Brander, Ballenden, Davies-Uniacke and Rayner not far behind. Also have Worpel, Callum-Jones, Garner, Stephenson, Naylor and Higgins looking like first round prospects

Last edited:
Most of the time the experts make comments like "there's a good group of talls coming through" and through a series of Chinese whispers, the media and forum posters start saying stuff like "it's stacked with talls" or "next year's top 10 is much better than this year's."
That and a lot can change in a year. One of the reasons the Saints took McCartin over Petracca in 2014 was that they didn't expect many quality talls the following year - you know, other than Weitering, Schache, Francis, Weideman, Curnow, Hipwood, Himmelberg and the McKays.

My favourite 2 At the moment are Darcy Fogarty and Lochie O'Brien at the moment with Brander, Ballenden, Davies-Uniacke and Rayner not far behind. Also have Worpel, Callum-Jones, Garner, Stephenson, Naylor and Higgins looking like first round prospects
Yeah, you've named most of my top 10 in that group. This could be the first time Fogarty dedicates a full off/pre season to training like a full-time midfielder which could see him come back slightly leaner and as the most dominant mid in the comp. I think a lot of people on this board will start to love O'Brien when they see the similarities to Zach Merrett.

I like Balta and Clavarino a lot too. One roughie I'll chuck in there is Nathan Kreuger from SA. That young man is very raw but could be a star!

Yeah, you've named most of my top 10 in that group. This could be the first time Fogarty dedicates a full off/pre season to training like a full-time midfielder which could see him come back slightly leaner and as the most dominant mid in the comp. I think a lot of people on this board will start to love O'Brien when they see the similarities to Zach Merrett.

I like Balta and Clavarino a lot too. One roughie I'll chuck in there is Nathan Kreuger from SA. That young man is very raw but could be a star!
Spoke to Sheehan about O'Brien at the last Bendigo game I went to and he absolutely loves him and I even brought up the Zerrett comparison. Yeah Naylor is my roughie he plays a lot like Hurley he is only 188 now but could still grow

Found 2 vids of Fogarty on youtube, looks like a good talent. Would a fair comparison be Stringer? Except Darcy plays more mid?

Who would we choose if both Simpkin and Battle were available at 20? I believe they're our preferences baring a dramatic slider.

Battle.

The rationale being that 29 is not getting us a good tall, but it could easily get us a small on par with Simpkin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don patch sword .. is we get McClugg and Berry, are they (if at all) too similar?

Not at all, I've spoken to Jarrod Berry a couple of times after Rebel games, he relies on his great physical attributes, McCluggage relies on his pure footy smarts.
Berry stated that McCluggage is the best player he has ever played with great compliment when Berry has also played with Hopper.
Also the coach seen how he has struggled a bit through the 2016 season, so let him play more forward for the last month to let him show how versatile he can be, but once again got injured.
From what I have been told he has had a bit of a tough time this season as things just haven't fallen his way, but he has kept slugging away.

Not at all, I've spoken to Jarrod Berry a couple of times after Rebel games, he relies on his great physical attributes, McCluggage relies on his pure footy smarts.
Berry stated that McCluggage is the best player he has ever played with great compliment when Berry has also played with Hopper.
Also the coach seen how he has struggled a bit through the 2016 season, so let him play more forward for the last month to let him show how versatile he can be, but once again got injured.
From what I have been told he has had a bit of a tough time this season as things just haven't fallen his way, but he has kept slugging away.
Berry has astounding character and I don't think we would hesitate calling his name out at 20 if he is available

Yep admire his effort and attitude. Also handy when forward! Being 190 plus he is a great prospect.

Berry has astounding character and I don't think we would hesitate calling his name out at 20 if he is available

He wasn't happy with his form this season, it's feels like he thinks he's letting people down, but in fact he has been excellent and the coach and players have loved his effort, great kid, just has super high expectations of himself.

He wasn't happy with his form this season, it's feels like he thinks he's letting people down, but in fact he has been excellent and the coach and players have loved his effort, great kid, just has super high expectations of himself.
Yep I felt expectation was what held him back more than anything this year, if he played like he did last year he would almost be favourite for pick 1. If anyone wants to see him at full flight should watch his championships last year playing with guys like Parish and he was awesome.

Yep I felt expectation was what held him back more than anything this year, if he played like he did last year he would almost be favourite for pick 1. If anyone wants to see him at full flight should watch his championships last year playing with guys like Parish and he was awesome.
Yep phenomenal over two years even if he didnt think he did as well this year, sneaky top ten chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back