List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets rumours 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Ahern could be a cheap option as a midfielder we were keen on him in his draft year has all the talent in the world but back to back knee reco's meant North got him on the cheap while he recovered..
Was doing very well last year when he finally got fit incliding a 37 possesion 12 clearance game against the eagles and looked like he could fulfill his potential but this year seemed to be on the outer with Scott for some reason, played the last two games mainly forward with Shaw and dropped again this week
Big body that can play inside as well outside, speed to burn, creative with ball in hand and good hands playing forward think we could get the most out of him and could be worth a late round pick
Thoughts?
The reason why Ahern finds himself in the VFL most weeks is because he has a very poor defensive game.... This is pretty much our prerequisite so I doubt we are looking at him.

What has my attention is that Connor Blakely has delayed his contract talks at Freo. He is someone we were interested in previously and fits a need too. Versatile Def / Mid who could work brilliantly with Flossy and our mids.

Last edited:
I follow the draft followers. Much the same story from Matt Clarke (RFC) and the BF draft 'gurus'. Very deep draft, but only 2-3 outstanding players. Last years top 5 could all have gone no. 1 potentially this year. But 2019 has more draftable players.

About 10 quality KPs. But not super star type mostly. Some rucks too.

fewer inside mids than average, but they exist.

More outside type players than usual - rich crop.

Plenty of other types - HFF, HBF etc

Not many mature agers - many taken in the mid-year draft.

So if you get pick 5, bad luck compared to a usual year.

If you have pick 50 then good luck compared to most other years.
With the deep draft that is why it is unlikely we will trade in players from other clubs. Also makes our fringe players less valuable.

On MB some draft watchers are saying it is the worst year ever for KPFs. We could definitely could do with drafting another KPD as I am not convinced that Garth and Miller will make it to AFL standard.

If the Brando compo pick gets to end of first round that will be a bonus (assuming that he leaves). Matt Clarke groups the draft in the top 2 or 3 then the next 20 pretty even. Means that we will get 2 hits in the second group or potentially we could money ball the compo pick (like the Eagles did with the Lycett compo).

Last edited:

On MB some draft watchers are saying it is the worst year ever for KPFs. We could definitely could do with drafting another KPD as I am not convinced that Garth and Miller will make it to AFL standard.
Many were saying that about Rance back in his early days. Those two guys are still very young for key defenders, time will tell I guess but have a good feeling about both

Many were saying that about Rance back in his early days. Those two guys are still very young for key defenders, time will tell I guess but have a good feeling about both

Plus we have Balta who can play as a key back and Chol as well although I prefer them playing as forwards atm it’s definitely not out of the question

No it's not.

Whether it is or it isn’t worth arguing about. The key is - as you rightly state - we will likely make five or six list changes regardless. Either to keep the core 30 or so players together (thus elevating those currently on the rookie list) or not to do so, where those rookie listed players would likely make the primary list of another club and therefore leave the RFC unprompted.

I can’t see us not making five or more list changes this offseason.

Whether it is or it isn’t worth arguing about. The key is - as you rightly state - we will likely make five or six list changes regardless. Either to keep the core 30 or so players together (thus elevating those currently on the rookie list) or not to do so, where those rookie listed players would likely make the primary list of another club and therefore leave the RFC unprompted.

I can’t see us not making five or more list changes this offseason.
Yeah my thinking was we need to make space for 4 rookie promotions and 2-3 draftees.

Yeah my thinking was we need to make space for 4 rookie promotions and 2-3 draftees.

That's really tough.
I can only see 2 easy openings created - Grigg and Menadue. Moore would get three.
With Chol and Baker definite upgrades as rookies, and perhaps Pickett (can he be kept as a rookie?), we have an issue.
Every year for years I have felt comfortable naming 6-7 players who should go. This year it's a case of looking to trade out some very good depth.

Ellis may go himself. Butler or Short would probably get interest.

Your 4 rookie and 3 recruits = 7 players off our main list??

Yep:
Stack>>
Baker>>
Egg>>
Chol>>
Pick 18
Pick 37(Ellis)
Pick 45
Out:
Grigga
Ellis
Butler
Moore
Menadue
Miller( Rookie)
Soldo(Rookie)

Butler trade to involve 2020 future pick for MRJ points
Thats how i'll think it will pan out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep:
Stack>>
Baker>>
Egg>>
Chol>>
Pick 18
Pick 37(Ellis)
Pick 45
Out:
Grigga
Ellis
Butler
Moore
Menadue
Miller( Rookie)
Soldo(Rookie)

Butler trade to involve 2020 future pick for MRJ points
Thats how i'll think it will pan out.
What happened to our 2nd pick? We still have it don't we?
And pretty sure we also have Suns 3rd rounder (37).

So 18, 36, 37 (Ellis) and pass from there including Suns pick at 37?

If Ellis takes a free agency offer I can see the list changes being as follows

Out

Ellis Butler Moore Menadue Townsend(r) Aarts(r) Weller(r) Grigg Miller(re-rookie)

Upgrade

Stack Chol Baker Egg-Smith

Re-Sign

Houli Soldo Naish Edwards Bolton

Draft Picks

Round 1
Ellis Compo
Round 2

Rookies

Pickett Miller

Markov
Moore
Menadue
Arts

All easily delist options

Markov contracted for 2020. Trade him if anyone will take him for peanuts. (this is possible as although he is not needed by us there are some lists that have far worse players and may see some value) This allows us to free up a list spot so we can upgrade Stack, Chol, Baker and possibly The Eggman.

Markov contracted (trade unlikely imo)
Aarts rookie.

Moore and Menadue are two likely delisted. That only gets us two spots.
Butler and Ellis could be traded for some value.
Markov had suitors, reckon he will get moved on, Butler the same

What happened to our 2nd pick? We still have it don't we?
And pretty sure we also have Suns 3rd rounder (37).

So 18, 36, 37 (Ellis) and pass from there including Suns pick at 37?
Yep sort of forgot about those 2 picks.lol
With MRJ in mind we need points for next years draft.So trading a few of this years picks for future picks might be the way to go.Can't see anyway out of it to be honest.

'

do we really need to trade target anybody. since the club has became financial, look at our recruiting and development of players over the last few years. 2 examples are chol and soldo, thought both would be delisted at the start of the year and now don't really care if nank comes in next week with those 2 doing a great job. we have some players getting older but all of them look like they still have mileage in them. have over 5 in the 2's that need to have more senior experience. so trade to get more picks and keep filling up our talent.

do we really need to trade target anybody. since the club has became financial, look at our recruiting and development of players over the last few years. 2 examples are chol and soldo, thought both would be delisted at the start of the year and now don't really care if nank comes in next week with those 2 doing a great job. we have some players getting older but all of them look like they still have mileage in them. have over 5 in the 2's that need to have more senior experience. so trade to get more picks and keep filling up our talent.
I reckon if we win the Granny this year...look out!
Our increasing membership numbers on top of a Granny win will just power us into the strongest side of the comp! And set us up for many years to come!
Throw in our coaching staff, Admin staff, and recruiting/developing/medical teams phew!!!
Win the Granny maybe a few more we could be on the verge of a dynasty here recalling the Hafey years!...roll out the monte carlos!!!

Still would like another inside ball magnet. It puts less pressure on Cotch, Meatball and Dusty.

Still would like another inside ball magnet. It puts less pressure on Cotch, Meatball and Dusty.

Hopefully anyone who saw the game yesterday crossed SSP off the list

I think what has made the RFC club raise Its recruiting game is a preparedness to look anywhere/everywhere to locate talent. We don't seem to restrict or discount anywhere or anyone until we have had a look for ourselves (Stack, Marlion, Broad, Baker, Lambert).....Not something new for us but really paying dividends for us. GO TIGES !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back