List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2017/2018 - Refreshed (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh so it's Sam Murray, Tyler Brown and Luke Kelly for 2018 2nd rounder

And we cleverly pick up our academy player for a 3rd rounder instead of a 2nd rounder

They thought it through, it's actually pretty smart

Happy with the result this year. Nice quiet trade period.
- Kept our top draft pick.
- No players wanting out.
- No paying overs for mediocre players or players that may not fit in to the direction the club wants to take.
- Clearing out cap space to launch into a big fish next year.

We have made some big moves over the past 5-10 years, in playing, coaching and administrative areas. Some of which have been massive distractions. I am optomistic that we will see some good results from maintaining some stability through the club this year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah I felt like he was trying to baffle us with bs. But he's used up too many credits for us to believe it.
No he's right, if we get rid of our 2nd rounder then when the early bid comes for our Academy player we get to take him with a 3rd rounder instead of a 2nd rounder, it's almost genius

No he's right, if we get rid of our 2nd rounder then when the early bid comes for our Academy player we get to take him with a 3rd rounder instead of a 2nd rounder, it's almost genius

"What if" that Academy or father son gets injured next year?

It isn't almost genius at all mate!

“Both us and Sydney are very mindful on the points equation. It will average out to a late 40s pick ... but our second round pick more than likely won’t be there anyway because we’ve got an academy player ... and another father-son in Luke Kelly who’s starting to trend north in his development as well.”
Finally got a Reason for the Trade and it does make SOME Sense Now

Ahhh so it's Sam Murray, Tyler Brown and Luke Kelly for 2018 2nd rounder

And we cleverly pick up our academy player for a 3rd rounder instead of a 2nd rounder

They thought it through, it's actually pretty smart
Shhhhhhh not today.

Today it's string them high....

I thought it was a highish price but if what is said us actually right, then as you say it's been thought through.

Fingers crossed we win on this.

I fee like asking Derek if there is some rule I'm missing which requires us to complete any deal regardless of the cost.

If you dont have a walk away, you get screwed.

The ex post facto rationalisation just makes it worse, the only thing worse than spin is obvious, incoherent spin.

We still have to get the points from somewhere, right? Minus the discount, but still... we’ll need to match the points of the bid within 197. Trading away future picks limits our ability to do that... it’s why the northern clubs hoard picks to get their academy kids.

I found it to be a stupid explanation. You don’t trade out future picks for those reasons. You wait for next year to see where the FS and NGA boys are at and then trade your picks accordingly.
I agree if that's the main reason for the signing. Haven't heard the comments but hypothetically:

We really liked Murray and wanted him on the list. Sydney were playing it tougher than expected and were asking for more than we'd ideally like to give. By the end of the two weeks, this hadn't changed. At that point we either had to give up the 2018 2nd rounder or give up on a player we liked. The thought that we likely wouldn't be able to use the 2018 2nd rounder might have given us that extra push to accept the deal even if it was slightly overs.

Also, doing the trade now we get a player we like who can help us in 2018 instead of waiting another year.

This is complete speculation, no idea if this came into calculations at all. But can definitely see how it could have.

"What if" that Academy or father son gets injured next year?

It isn't almost genius at all mate!
Well by definition almost genius is not genius at all anyway, and if he gets injured we'll pick him up even cheaper, no biggie

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee we must be geniuses if we can predict the exact window this unknown academy kid will get bid on over one year out from the draft.

105, but we have to be at 95% the previous two seasons. Front loaded contract offer makes sense especially if we only officially table a 2 year offer, which would allow us to go again via free agency (unrestricted) in 2020 should GC match and a trade can't be done.

It's been changed to three years. And the way I read it, if you are under 3 years in a row you can then be over 3 years in a row. If we have banked correctly we should have $622k each of the next 2 years and a smaller amount the 3rd year locked and loaded.

(e) AFL Clubs may spend over 100% of the combined Total Player Payments and Additional Services Agreements limit (Combined Limit), if in any of the preceding three years the Club has spent below 100% of the Combined Limit.

(f) The permitted amount of overspend will be tied to the level of underspend in the relevant preceding period. For example, if a Club was $500,000 below the combined Total Player Payments and Additional Services Agreements limit in 2017, and paid 100% of the Combined Limit in 2018 and 2019, the Club would be entitled to spend $500,000 above the Combined Limit in 2020. If a $500,000 overspend was not made in 2020, the Club has lost the right to overspend in 2021.

(g) It is agreed that the overspend amount is to be capped at a maximum of 105% of the Combined Limit in any given year.

DMfgHbsV4AAO7dk.jpg:large

Barrackers I thought his name was Hine not Nostradamus!

12 months is a long time in football............I still don't get it.
Yep, it's a risky move, how often do we see a young player rise or alternatively fall completely out of calculations. In terms of points it doesn't add up too well either and it seems to be another gamble hoping we improve and/or Sydney fall.

Obviously it won't end up this way, but using this year's ladder positions as a guide:

second (2018) for Murray + third (2018) >> Pick 24 (785 points) - pick 49 (283) = 502 points
straight third (2018) >> Pick 42 = 395 points
Basically the stronger we improve the better the deal from a points basis.

Shhhhhhh not today.

Today it's string them high....

I thought it was a highish price but if what is said us actually right, then as you say it's been thought through.

Fingers crossed we win on this.
'Shhhhhhhh, not today....'

Jeez, you're not condescending at all, are you.

What does it matter which pick it is to pick up an academy player. And if no early bid comes, we've given up a second round pick.
Still nonsensical.

Last edited:
What does it matter which pick it is to pick up an academy pick. And if no early bid comes, we've given up a second round pick.
Still nonsensical.
They'd be all over it and know better than us where everyone is tracking, they've backed themselves and history will decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back