List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sidebottom is not going anywhere. Kelly is attainable if we are keen enough. Everyone has forgotten about Dusty who is screaming out for us to make him a decent offer and he will cost us nothing other than stretching the TPP. Given the age profile of out mainstays Dusty is the most logical inclusion to the list. Add Sam Reid to keep the medical staff busy and occasionally play forward and we should be playing finals next season.
Been saying all year we should make a huge play for Dusty...allows us to then play Pendles off HB.

Would love Dusty, but I honestly can't see him going anywhere. I think he'll stay. Kelly is a jet and would love him too, but I imagine he'll cost a packet in terms of trade. Probably too much considering where we're at
I don't think we are as far away as our ladder position indicates.

Dusty is not too happy with how his last contract negotiation played out so from that perspective he would entertain another club where he has no baggage to move forward with and possibly prove a point to his current club.

I don't think we are as far away as our ladder position indicates.

Dusty is not too happy with how his last contract negotiation played out so from that perspective he would entertain another club where he has no baggage to move forward with and possibly prove a point to his current club.
You may be right with Dusty. Who knows. He dragged out his last contract himself did he not? I recall when he went up and toured the GWS facilities, they basically knew on the spot that he didn't want to leave Richmond. It'd be a pretty big shock (to me, anyway) if he left. You'd think he must have serious issues with Richmond if he was prepared to packs his bags for the joint across the other side of the street, and I don't really think there are any. Having said that, I'd happily take him if he wanted to come.

You may be right with Dusty. Who knows. He dragged out his last contract himself did he not? I recall when he went up and toured the GWS facilities, they basically knew on the spot that he didn't want to leave Richmond. It'd be a pretty big shock (to me, anyway) if he left. You'd think he must have serious issues with Richmond if he was prepared to packs his bags for the joint across the other side of the street, and I don't really think there are any. Having said that, I'd happily take him if he wanted to come.
form memory he is being paid unders at Richmond which would make his the cheapest A grader in the competition. That alone would annoy him and he has limited time in the game, so he will want to max out his retirement fund and be happy in the process.

Collingwood would appeal to him so its a matter of if see him as a good fit for the club. I say welcome to Collingwood Dusty, but that's just me.
I know he could propel us into finals next season so on the bases of that I would be more than happy to see him in black and white.

form memory he is being paid unders at Richmond which would make his the cheapest A grader in the competition. That alone would annoy him and he has limited time in the game, so he will want to max out his retirement fund and be happy in the process.

Collingwood would appeal to him so its a matter of if see him as a good fit for the club. I say welcome to Collingwood Dusty, but that's just me.
I know he could propel us into finals next season so on the bases of that I would be more than happy to see him in black and white.
He has done it for Richmond.
Would be interesting if his management went back to the Tigers trying to renegotiate his contract earlier but was knocked back.

Meh I don't think we've seen any bigtime players in their prime sign with a fellow Victorian team, actually Goddard is probably the only one that comes to mind. Just cant see Dusty leaving, would clearly take him in a heart beat but we have too many other areas that need attention.

Dusty is a very good player, it would be negligent of Richmond not to match any money offer. Richmond are currently a top four side, Dusty is insane to leave a side on the brink of success for money....Dreaming!

Meh I don't think we've seen any bigtime players in their prime sign with a fellow Victorian team, actually Goddard is probably the only one that comes to mind. Just cant see Dusty leaving, would clearly take him in a heart beat but we have too many other areas that need attention.

Umm Dale Thomas, Shaun Higgins, Nick Dal Santo, James Frawley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umm Dale Thomas, Shaun Higgins, Nick Dal Santo, James Frawley?

Bigtime is best 10-15 in the competition. None of those 4 were at that level at the time of their departure.

I know this is a bit radical, but I just think we should put a $600-700k offer in front of both/either of Charlie Curnow or Harry McKay. Carlton want our first pick? Yea no worries. It's not like there's elite KPP talent in our draft range anyways.
Also, next time they come out of contract Carlton would have to pay up.
The only downfall I see is our current players being pissed because a young newbie has come in and is probably earning more than 75% of the list.
But if that's what it's gonna take to get a KPF in, so be it.

Sidebottom to North? Omg, haven't they got enough on their plate at the moment. And who in their right mind would bypass Josh Kelly if all of a sudden Sidebottom became available? I know you can never say never, but that just seems so unrealistic to me. If I had to guess where Sidebottom will end up next year, it'll be Collingwood

I would agree no club would look at sidey over Kelly, but it seems unlikely that they'll get both Martin and Kelly I was more angling that if they could Sidebottom through a trade than they can put more work/effort/money/time whatever you want to call it in securing one of Martin or Kelly rather than having half a foot in each door and potentially miss on both. I feel like they'll only get one of the FA's, and if we're all being honest (including North) they'll admit to be lucky to get one of the two. If you offered North, Steele Sidebottom and one of Martin or Kelly they'd take that I reckon rather than gamble on both FA's. In the end it's not about who is a better player or who should North prefer, it's trying to figure out which players would get a deal done, we can't offer J. kelly cause he's not ours to offer, so who can we offer that would appeal to them?

Goddard and Cooney both did it once they were over the hill, both players were half the players they were when younger.

A few players that I'm interested in that I reckon are attainable:

1. Lukas Webb - Very classy ball user, killing it at VFL level. Can't crack a game at the Doggies. Not sure what the issue is. They probably just have enough half back flankers.

2. Cal Sinclair/Sam Reid - The Swans have seemingly settled on 2-talls up forward. Reid was injured this week and Sinclair came in and booted 5. They also still have Kurt Tippett and Franklin. They obviously can't afford all 4....so if we throw money at either Sinclair or Reid, they must be attainable. One is going to miss out in the finals.

3. Troy Menzel - Not sure what the issue is with him, but he was a very high draft pick who was very good early in his career. Since moving to Adelaide, he just can't get a game. Seems to suit our needs well. There must be an attitude or a discipline issue. Not sure what it is, but has big upside and would come cheap.

4. Devon Smith - If the Giants retain Kelly on big bucks, Smith may be the one who gets pushed out. He is a hog and very goal hungry...but he would slot straight into our forward line well.

5. Jayden Laverde/Aaron Francis - Both are very highly rated at the Bombers, but haven't cemented their spots early in their careers. The Bombers would probably ask too much for them, but if we could convince them they would have more opportunity at Collingwood then they could be worth a look.

I know this is a bit radical, but I just think we should put a $600-700k offer in front of both/either of Charlie Curnow or Harry McKay. Carlton want our first pick? Yea no worries. It's not like there's elite KPP talent in our draft range anyways.
Also, next time they come out of contract Carlton would have to pay up.
The only downfall I see is our current players being pissed because a young newbie has come in and is probably earning more than 75% of the list.
But if that's what it's gonna take to get a KPF in, so be it.
Curnow would be worth it, but he's not going anywhere. He's living the dream, playing footy in the same team as his brother in a side that looks to have a bright future under a good coach.

McKay is not even close to worth that kind of coin. He's all potential still, there's no evidence to say he'll even be worth that kind of money at his peak, let alone now. That kind of deal is more reckless than the Mayne contract.

1. Lukas Webb - Very classy ball user, killing it at VFL level. Can't crack a game at the Doggies. Not sure what the issue is. They probably just have enough half back flankers.

2. Cal Sinclair/Sam Reid - The Swans have seemingly settled on 2-talls up forward. Reid was injured this week and Sinclair came in and booted 5. They also still have Kurt Tippett and Franklin. They obviously can't afford all 4....so if we throw money at either Sinclair or Reid, they must be attainable. One is going to miss out in the finals.

3. Troy Menzel - Not sure what the issue is with him, but he was a very high draft pick who was very good early in his career. Since moving to Adelaide, he just can't get a game. Seems to suit our needs well. There must be an attitude or a discipline issue. Not sure what it is, but has big upside and would come cheap.

4. Devon Smith - If the Giants retain Kelly on big bucks, Smith may be the one who gets pushed out. He is a hog and very goal hungry...but he would slot straight into our forward line well.

5. Jayden Laverde/Aaron Francis - Both are very highly rated at the Bombers, but haven't cemented their spots early in their careers. The Bombers would probably ask too much for them, but if we could convince them they would have more opportunity at Collingwood then they could be worth a look.
Menzel is a straight up dud. Adelaide will retain him to try to lure his more talented brother, like the Lions did with Beams.

1. I think the only other keeping him out is his pace. Think he'll be on the move but I wouldnt be offering much. Probably one of our picks in the 50's. Don't think we'll go after him though.

2. Reid will be the taking point of the offseason. Will he join Ben? I think we will be going after him pretty hard. Sinclair can stay.

3. What a waste of talent. How can he look at his brother and not be inspired? He is a lazy footballer and I'm sure he's lazy off the field. Will be delisted and I wouldn't bother.

4. Reports are he's looking at coming to us. I actually don't mind Smith at all. But what will it cost? I would be wanting Hopper and Smith if we are trading out first. The only other thing is if we trade down and offer a late first rounder and draft a tall. See what happens.

5. I loved Francis is his draft year. I think we basically have our own Francis though in Scharenberg. Essendon won't be looking to give him up, he's developing nicely in the 2's for them.
Laverde is probably our WHE. Injury prone, but has displayed some flashes. I wouldn't go chasing him.

What about a bloke from this week's mob? Harrison Wigg. Elite disposal usage as an under-18, plays of half back. Averaged 19 disposals at 81% efficiency and his kicking accuracy has been likened to Matt Suckling and Sam Mitchell (he's even about the same size as Sammy) with his ability to make the right decision and then execute it. For some reason can't get a gig in the crows side despite being one their best week in week out in the SANFL. Averages 20+ possessions in the 2's, uses the ball really well and rarely turns it over, would a late pick get him to the pies? Could he be the set up type player we've been crying out for in the back half of the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back