List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 2!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we wouldn’t be in trouble throwing Max Lynch in there?

Roughead provides emergency cover for a few positions for a team which should be contending. He is not a long term option in any one position.

Yeah I think we would be. I don't think either is the right option as back-up. Acknowledging that Lynch is still developing.

I'm not forgetting that. I just think Roughead is a poor list target.
I don't mind it. He's purely depth for any tall forward/back or ruck.

If we have injury issues again, touchwood, Roughead has a two-fold impact of at least a mature body to create a contest up forward or back, without taking someone else out of their nominal role. E.g. Howe plays his high-impact role as intercept defender, instead of needing to play as a key defensive stopper. Our set-up was stuffed v WCE @ G in the H&A, when Cox was out.

I don't mind it. He's purely depth for any tall forward/back or ruck.

If we have injury issues again, touchwood, Roughead has a two-fold impact of at least a mature body to create a contest up forward or back, without taking someone else out of their nominal role. E.g. Howe plays his high-impact role as intercept defender, instead of needing to play as a key defensive stopper. Our set-up was stuffed v WCE @ G in the H&A, when Cox was out.
Yep, spot on BP, he is our insurance....its actually very good planning

I think actually is a Good List Target but That is my Opinion

I appear to be in the minority on this. I think the need in defence is over stated. I also think Roughead is a worse option in defence than what we already have and isn't up to it in the ruck. I do appreciate the versatility and the cost. But I wouldn't recruit him based on that. I hope i've badly misjudged his playing ability but I see a Q Lynch, J White type outcome out of this.

To be fair, I don’t think Goldsack, Shaz or Madgen can play KPD, and McLarty and Kelly are yet to prove they can play anywhere.

Goldsack and Shaz both played key defence this year and did well in the role.

Goldsack and Shaz both played key defence this year and did well in the role.

I might pay Shaz, but Goldsack? Slaughtered by Jack in the Prelim and I honestly can't recall him winning a contest against Kennedy in the GF. Indeed I'd say Goldys performance in the last 2 games of the year is a strong argument FOR recruiting a KPD...

What do we all feel is Jordan Roughead’s value? I see it from a few different angles but can’t settle on one.

- We lost Fasolo and get pick 57, we then use that to get Roughead. So Fasolo out, Roughead in, I can live with that.

- When we traded Travis Cloke to them for pick 71, surely Trav had more value going into that trade that JR does given that he’s essentially a delisted free agent.

- IF we were going to on-trade pick 57 to the WBD for JR, then wouldn’t we have just signed him as a free agent and waived our Fasolo compensation pick? So this leads me to believe that we’re intending to part ways with our pick 70 (or something later than pick 57 if we attain it).

Am I missing something?

To be fair, I don’t think Goldsack, Shaz or Madgen can play KPD, and McLarty and Kelly are yet to prove they can play anywhere.

and People are Complaining about Dunn like we are now with Roughead and looked how that worked out

I might pay Shaz, but Goldsack? Slaughtered by Jack in the Prelim and I honestly can't recall him winning a contest against Kennedy in the GF. Indeed I'd say Goldys performance in the last 2 games of the year is a strong argument FOR recruiting a KPD...

The best year of Goldsacks career was in 2017 at centre half back. He did well this year when he returned from his knee but did get beaten by Reiwoldt and Kennedy in finals. I can't see Jordan Roughead improving the situation though. Goldsack is fine as depth for us.

What do we all feel is Jordan Roughead’s value? I see it from a few different angles but can’t settle on one.

- We lost Fasolo and get pick 57, we then use that to get Roughead. So Fasolo out, Roughead in, I can live with that.

- When we traded Travis Cloke to them for pick 71, surely Trav had more value going into that trade that JR does given that he’s essentially a delisted free agent.

- IF we were going to on-trade pick 57 to the WBD for JR, then wouldn’t we have just signed him as a free agent and waived our Fasolo compensation pick? So this leads me to believe that we’re intending to part ways with our pick 70 (or something later than pick 57 if we attain it).

Am I missing something?

I'd hope nothing much more than we let Marley Williams go for. Something in the 100's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we get May but if we don’t can Roughead hold down full back until Dunn returns? I think that if we can release Darcy to CHB we will have an intercepting weapon in the same manner as McGovern.

We played half the season with no key back men, people were screaming for a cheap key back option.
We're also very light on for ruck depth. I would suggest if Grundy was to be injured, Roughead would currently get the nod over Lynch.

I do think it points to us not getting May though.

Additionally I think its a given that Moore wont be asked to do much ruckwork in the future. And McLarty is an unknown quantity, at least as a ruck option.

Am I missing something?
Sounds reasonable. Is there a chance that he will just be delisted and picked up by us as a DFA?

Am I missing something?

Cloke played 10 games and kicked 11 goals for the Dogs. I think its well established that he had zero trade value and the deal was done out of respect for a great champion of the club to give him one last chance.

I suspect a pick in the 70's will be appropriate for Roughead . Or a swap pick (third down to fourth or similar.

Every club had a chance to take him in the free agent period and they didnt, Hes unlikely to be best 22 and we need to pay accordingly. For a good quality clubman/swingman.

I appear to be in the minority on this. I think the need in defence is over stated. I also think Roughead is a worse option in defence than what we already have and isn't up to it in the ruck. I do appreciate the versatility and the cost. But I wouldn't recruit him based on that. I hope i've badly misjudged his playing ability but I see a Q Lynch, J White type outcome out of this.
No way. He's a solid footballer with plenty to offer.

I remember when we signed Dunn everyone said he was cooked. Played about 3 games in the seniors that year. Everyone has been calling for a cheep Dunn like replacement defender that can be used to take the big key forwards. That is Jordan Roughead.

Also, even though Dunn had a very good year this year before he got injured there are no guarantees that he will get back to his best. He is 32, coming off a knee reco and was delisted by the Dees 2 years ago.

I like that we are getting someone as backup who has played the position before, cheep and will do a good role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back