List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article from 2018 suggests he could play higher up the ground.
Ben Sokol – 23yo 186cm 85kgs – 2018 avg: 20mtch, 16disp, 7.5mks, 3.2tcks, 43gls, 30bhs
With 92 goals over the past two seasons, Ben Sokol is one that should really be on the radar of clubs looking for a medium marking forward with great endurance.
While not a player comparison, the immediate impact of Bayley Fritsch is something that could be expected of Sokol at senior level, such is his ready-made nature. The fact he can play tall with his marking ability, while also being able to play high up the ground makes him a natural, all-round threat.
The way the game is currently trending, it’s the skillset of Sokol that can immediately improve a team’s list.

Stats: https://www.wafl.com.au/player/ben-sokol

Highlights from this year:

Looks about 30

He destroyed Mihoceck on Saturday.
Please. Mihocek was on a hiding to nothing on Saturday evening. It was wet, the pill hardly ventured into our forward line for two and a half quarters and all Keefe had to do was play him from behind and use his six inches in reach advantage to punch the pill whenever it was in his vicinity. Hell, Jack Reiwoldt didn't touch the ball till late in the game on Friday night and that was in perfect conditions and lots of supply coming in. On a dry night, Mihocek could have moved around more and lead knowing he won't get a slippery ball skimming through his hands. He would also have been more effective at ground level on a dry night. Cameron was the best forward and he kicked three goals, two of which came from nice passes onto his chest. Keefe did his job but to say he destroyed Mihocek is hyperbolic. The rains and our lack of forward entries and delivery were Checkers biggest enemy.

I'd be keen on entering the fray for Josh Bruce. I'd seriously consider dangling Sier as a carrot in that one too. Sier would be attractive to St Kilda. It's a risk for us as Sier could come good, but it's also a risk to carry on without a strong key forward while we're challenging. Sier's professionalism also carries risk.

I'd be keen on entering the fray for Josh Bruce. I'd seriously consider dangling Sier as a carrot in that one too. Sier would be attractive to St Kilda. It's a risk for us as Sier could come good, but it's also a risk to carry on without a strong key forward while we're challenging. Sier's professionalism also carries risk.
Agreed. If he's looking to leave Saints we should be pushing the Dogs out of the way to be first in line.

Please. Mihocek was on a hiding to nothing on Saturday evening. It was wet, the pill hardly ventured into our forward line for two and a half quarters and all Keefe had to do was play him from behind and use his six inches in reach advantage to punch the pill whenever it was in his vicinity. Hell, Jack Reiwoldt didn't touch the ball till late in the game on Friday night and that was in perfect conditions and lots of supply coming in. On a dry night, Mihocek could have moved around more and lead knowing he won't get a slippery ball skimming through his hands. He would also have been more effective at ground level on a dry night. Cameron was the best forward and he kicked three goals, two of which came from nice passes onto his chest. Keefe did his job but to say he destroyed Mihocek is hyperbolic. The rains and our lack of forward entries and delivery were Checkers biggest enemy.
I'm trying to share some quality content in this thread.....the one throwaway comment gets picked up and run with by everyone :oops:

I'm excited by the news/rumours about Cameron, Riccardi and Sokol. We seem to be working hard on retention and looking for value in areas of need. Cameron (ruck/key forward), Riccardi (key forward), Sokol (medium forward). Sokol provides further depth forward that could allow us to free up De Goey or (shudder) cover Elliotts departure if that unlikely scenario eventuates.

Bruce is good, but Patton is much better

Patton much riskier also. I'd be happier with someone you can rely upon to play footy (Bruce). I also reckon Hawthorn offer up a lot when they eye-ball they're targets and I think that might make Patton more expensive than we want. Just a gut feel on that.

I say it every year but it applies especially this year given our lack of trade capital, I'd rather see us back our list and take our picks to the draft than invest in these NQR players. Happy to look at FA's but there's not much in that pool.

Saw Ben King at GC this year - he will be a star - get him early as possible - he looks better than Lynch at that stage did that's for sure.
Maybe we can get him end next year if we take Jenkins for 2 years and Connors will assist then as he is manager of both.
I think T. Brown and Kelly will be the surprise packets next year.
If we get Langdon back and with the Kelly possibility it may be wise to give Moore a go back at KPF as he is lot bigger and stronger now.
We are pretty well set - give Grundy 5 years with options for years 6 and 7 - player and club options.
Then teach him how to kick correctly over summer.

Interesting article.

Pies expect Elliot to stay, Grundy to play out his contract, Reid to go around again...

and according to Paul Connors, Ben King will see out his contract but possibly want to leave after that.

Next year we should throw the kitchen sink at Gold Coast for B King... 1st Rd pick and an established mature player of repute

Probably need that 1st for Reef

I say it every year but it applies especially this year given our lack of trade capital, I'd rather see us back our list and take our picks to the draft than invest in these NQR players. Happy to look at FA's but there's not much in that pool.

Bruce isn't NQR. He'd offer a really important structural piece for us. I see him fitting in as a 8-15 type player within our 22. A bit like when we chased Ball and Jolly who were good players but great list fits for our needs. Sier I see as expendable given the risk he carries. Love him as a player when he's up and about but he doesn't fill me with confidence regarding his professionalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce isn't NQR. He'd offer a really important structural piece for us. I see him fitting in as a 8-15 type player within our 22. A bit like when we chased Ball and Jolly who were good players but great list fits for our needs. Sier I see as expendable given the risk he carries. Love him as a player when he's up and about but he doesn't fill me with confidence regarding his professionalism.

Well that's one view, mines another.

I can’t remember Keefe having much of an impact when we played GWS last year in finals.

Last edited:
Sounds like the club already got themselves a stoppages coach who can communicate. Still, somethings amiss in there.
Sometimes the opposition puts a spanner into well laid plans, we seem to forget that occasionally

Sometimes the opposition puts a spanner into well laid plans, we seem to forget that occasionally

That's true. But I wish it were us jamming the spanner into their plans next time. We've fallen over when it matters the last two years.

Saw Ben King at GC this year - he will be a star - get him early as possible - he looks better than Lynch at that stage did that's for sure.
Maybe we can get him end next year if we take Jenkins for 2 years and Connors will assist then as he is manager of both.
I think T. Brown and Kelly will be the surprise packets next year.
If we get Langdon back and with the Kelly possibility it may be wise to give Moore a go back at KPF as he is lot bigger and stronger now.
We are pretty well set - give Grundy 5 years with options for years 6 and 7 - player and club options.
Then teach him how to kick correctly over summer.

I think even if we have Moore, Kelly, Keane and land another young KPP in D Cameron, etc .. when a talent like B King becomes available you take it if you can and worry about how to fit in the other KPP after the fact. In the not too distant future the kid will kick 50 a year for years on end.

P.S - I don't think they'll in any way look at Jenkins given we are all but confirmed to land D Cameron

Love Grundy, but some of his tap work needs fixing, looked to where we were then put it in the opposite direction. Plus no hitting to space.

I'm excited by the news/rumours about Cameron, Riccardi and Sokol. We seem to be working hard on retention and looking for value in areas of need. Cameron (ruck/key forward), Riccardi (key forward), Sokol (medium forward). Sokol provides further depth forward that could allow us to free up De Goey or (shudder) cover Elliotts departure if that unlikely scenario eventuates.
Sounds like moneyball.

I'm hopeful that Bosenavulagi has a great preseason and moves past Varcoe or at least matches what he'd contribute. I also think that if it was a choice of retaining 1 of those poster suggested discard types I'd opt for another year for Broomy over Varcs. Was coming from a long way back for 2019 but was building form and is still only 25.
In theory, but he's another lightweight (75kg) who can't stick a tackle, especially with his shoulders. We already have enough of them in our team.

In theory, but he's another lightweight (75kg) who can't stick a tackle, especially with his shoulders. We already have enough of them in our team.
Have you seen that, every thing l have read and watched indicates the boy can tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back