List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we so in love with delisted non performers?

Just curious.

GWS delisted Tiziano today. Did KM rate him very highly? If so, I wonder whether he is worth a look or just not up to it.

Not sure how these rating systems work but Roughead at 128th would have him in the top 8-10 players in any team in the league based purely on them, and we (BF posters) predominantly see that we've recruited him for depth.

Gee whiz some people are going to look stupid bagging phillips next season, if he brings back that form that he had start of last season gee whiz some egg on faces coming.

Hardly. Criticism was merited, how he plays in 2019 won't alter that. If anyone is looking silly, it's those who were spruiking AA mid 2018.

Would be interesting to see his stats v Steele in their first couple of years. He had a sophomore slump in the middle of the year when more attention was paid to him and then ramped up. I reckon he’s gonna be a beauty. Still very young and ticking along nicely.

Can’t believe how many posters threw him up as trade bait. But then again patience is a virtue rarely seen ‘round these parts.

Jury is still out. I'm not sure his issues (poor disposal, poor defensively 1v1, panic under pressure, worse sidestep/baulk to break a tackle in the league) can be fixed. When he's playing like he was during that purple patch with up around the 30 possessions or more and massive meters gained you can live with it, when he's not.......

It seemed he was being asked to play a slightly different more accountable role later in the season and during finals, but it's just not his thing.

Not sure how these rating systems work but Roughead at 128th would have him in the top 8-10 players in any team in the league based purely on them, and we (BF posters) predominantly see that we've recruited him for depth.
The rating system heavily overrates ruckwork.

Jury is still out. I'm not sure his issues (poor disposal, poor defensively 1v1, panic under pressure, worse sidestep/baulk to break a tackle in the league) can be fixed.
I think all he lacks is a bit of strength. If he can get get his strength up from bottom of the league to lower/average levels most of the issues that you see will disappear and we will have a genuine star. Plus i disagree on poor disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have noted, our game has 'evolved' to the stage where a player like Menzel can be delisted. My head understands, but my footy loving heart doesn't get it. Bizarre.

Edit: not delisted, but not have his contract renewed. A disagreement over contract length I believe. Still bizarre.

I love this post. It's how I feel too.

The flip side is neither my head nor my heart can understand how the penny hasn't dropped for Menzel. How can a footballer who is so offensively clever, not get the defensive side of the game?

Just on Aish, I thought he was super impressive in the first six rounds on the opposite wing to Phillips.

Once he recovered from his PCL it was hard to push Mayne out because Mayne had displayed a level of persistence and can-do attitude that Buckley would never look past.

Aish was not utilised well on the half back. I do think he needs to go back to the wing.

I love this post. It's how I feel too.

The flip side is neither my head nor my heart can understand how the penny hasn't dropped for Menzel. How can a footballer who is so offensively clever, not get the defensive side of the game?
IIRC he was a much better runner pre-knees. Always pressed up the ground more. Not surprising to see him more of a downhill skier post knees.

Annoying for the game when you see gun players struck down by injury or drugs. Robs the game of some epic highlights.

Just on Aish, I thought he was super impressive in the first six rounds on the opposite wing to Phillips.

Once he recovered from his PCL it was hard to push Mayne out because Mayne had displayed a level of persistence and can-do attitude that Buckley would never look past.

Aish was not utilised well on the half back. I do think he needs to go back to the wing.

I reckon Aish's first 6 rounds is becoming mythological. He was solid at best. I thought he was ok at the back end of the year, but once again was solid at best. James Aish needs to regain his confidence. He came into the AFL with a reputation for composure and creativity. In his first year with Brissy, he showed snippets of these attributes. But since then, he's become a bloke who doesn't seem to want the ball in his hands. He seems to have developed an attitude of making it someone else's problem. Similarly he doesn't seem to attempt to position himself to receive and become a transitionary asset like you'd want him to be if he's playing wing or half back. Currently, he's become a bloke with extremely clean hands, and good endeavour, who shows cleverness when he doesn't have the ball, but his offensive game is non-existent.

I reckon Aish's first 6 rounds is becoming mythological. He was solid at best. I thought he was ok at the back end of the year, but once again was solid at best. James Aish needs to regain his confidence. He came into the AFL with a reputation for composure and creativity. In his first year with Brissy, he showed snippets of these attributes. But since then, he's become a bloke who doesn't seem to want the ball in his hands. He seems to have developed an attitude of making it someone else's problem. Similarly he doesn't seem to attempt to position himself to receive and become a transitionary asset like you'd want him to be if he's playing wing or half back. Currently, he's become a bloke with extremely clean hands, and good endeavour, who shows cleverness when he doesn't have the ball, but his offensive game is non-existent.
I reckon it was better than solid. Across rounds 1-5 he was averaging about 20 disposals and nearly a goal a game, and had 13 against Richmond before going off injured. If he can recapture that form he’s absolutely in the 22, it’s just a matter of whether he can or not.

Aish isn't a hack but if we have the midfield strenghth we think we do then it's going to be hard for him to find a spot. Thomas is ahead of him at this point. Someone has to go out for Beam and Aish is the most vulnerable along with Mayne. If Elliot is fit then another smaller player has to make way and that probably pushes DeGoey & Stevenson more into the midfield. Between Phillips, Sidebottom and WHE, Aish probably won't get a gig on a wing.

Based on the GF 22, I'd have Beams, Elliot and Moore in for Aish, Mayne and then I'm not sure. If Reid gets fit then there's another spot in jeopardy.

We'll get ionjuries so Aish, Mayne, Broomhead, Daicos and Brown will get their games but I can't see any of them in the best 22.

Gubby has joined St Kilda. Good luck with your salary cap!
Well he probably needed a job so,
St Kilda would just have to do.
Poor thing, going to St Kilda :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back