List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per all my previous posts, this isn't about Geelong and what they are doing. It's about Collingwood and what we aren't doing. Just because you or I don't think Geelong have a hope in hell of winning a premiership, they're doing everything in their power to compete. Why aren't we doing the same?

We have improving players not declining players - therefore we don’t need to do as much or waste money we could otherwise use to keep superstars.

Within in our Top 5 -6 player we have guys that will have bigger contract next time - the same can’t be said for Geel. Their Top 5 will have smaller contracts as they are in the later stages of their careers.

Geelong have gone backwards this trade period, for the now anyway. They lost an A grade mid and brought in Jenkins (backup) and Steven (bug question mark).

We've staid pat, other than trading Aish, because we were able to retain our players. As a top 4 team that's good. We could have made some small deals to make minor improvement but you need the right options available.

If we hadn't re-signed Reid and comitted to Cameron maybe we'd have looked at Jenkins. But with both of those, another depth tall doesn't really seem necessary or worth the money, even if he was cheap.

Prior to the start of the year, I thought Geelong were garbage. They finished a few goals away from a grand final appearance. They made the most out of losing their A grader.

Sure, resigning players is a good sign for a top 4 team. You know what else is a good sign? Signing Tom effing Lynch the year after winning a premiership. Good teams, top teams look to improve the list. They make hard decisions, they're aggressive at the table.

We were forced in a position this year where we had to get some money off the books, without losing anyone vitally important to our best 22.

I reckon there were a few other guys we would have preferred go instead of Aish (ie Shaz, Wills, Mayne and maybe even Mason Cox). But there were no takers. The only one that got traction was Aish, and he would be on a decent salary as well.

The media were initially reporting that we'd have 3 or more moving on. The fact that only 1 is leaving indicates to me that maybe it's not as bad as they are making it out. But undoudtedly something still had to give. Aish was the sacrifice we were willing to make. Otherwise, we would have let Elliott walk.

I doubt Aish off, Cameron on has added anymore than a $200k. But if JDG is on the reported $750-800k then that'd likely cover any increase to his next contract.

We have improving players not declining players - therefore we don’t need to do as much or waste money we could otherwise use to keep superstars.

Within in our Top 5 -6 player we have guys that will have bigger contract next time - the same can’t be said for Geel. Their Top 5 will have smaller contracts as they are in the later stages of their careers.

Fair call, but it's a lot of faith in not only the players on the list improving together, but also a lot of faith in those who are out of contract electing to stay at the club. To me, winning premierships is the best incentive for players of quality to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back