List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering their injured this year I think they did quite well. Their midfield kids are coming along nicely
It’s nice that you give other clubs a pass due to their injuries.

Really don't understand the desire by some to get Adam Treloar out the door. Aside from Taylor Adams, and oldies Pendles and Sidey, exactly where are our midfield stars?

I just saw Gunston’s stats for the year.Third highest in the Coleman medal with 31 goals from 16 games in a team that was pretty terrible this year.If he can average 2 goals a game for us then that would be a win for us.Obviously he’s not in the same league as Cameron,but it’s probably the best we can get at the moment.

I just saw Gunston’s stats for the year.Third highest in the Coleman medal with 31 goals from 16 games in a team that was pretty terrible this year.If he can average 2 goals a game for us then that would be a win for us.Obviously he’s not in the same league as Cameron,but it’s probably the best we can get at the moment.
He’s a great player. Just can’t see hawks letting him go unless we pay overs , given he’s contracted to 2022. Would like to have him, I just really want us to move on cox somehow. Just don’t think he does enough, and just far to reliant for us to kick on his head.

Oh yeah mate, I wake up every day and tell my kids about our mantra:

"You go out there and try your best, but if anyone beats you, you've accepted failure and you're fine with being mediocre."

"Stop crying."

"Outside variables? 17 other kids in your spelling competition? Who told you about those things? Those are too complex for me to think about."

"While you're in my house, we keep things as simple, stupid and cliche as possible. If you don't win, you have ACCEPTED losing."

"Get to bed."

In case none of this sarcasm is getting through to you, let me simplify it.

You, and anyone else who thinks striving for the best and coming up short in a national competition that features 17 other teams with 17 other footy departments, 17 other coaches and 17 other teams that want to win, is tantamount to 'accepting mediocrity' are absolute, brain-dead morons with the intellectual capacity of an ant.

I hope that's not too personal.

Silly comment. Collingwood supporters are invested in one club. The stated aim of that club and the players in it has always been to win the premiership. That's it. It's not about creating good young citizens (although Bucks seems to believe this is our number one priority). Eddie continues to talk us up as a powerhouse club. We have not been able to produce a period of sustained success for over 60 years and probably longer. By sustained success I mean winning multiple flags during a relatively short period of time. Richmond have done it now on a number of occasions: so too have Carlton, Hawthorn, Brisbane and Geelong. We have been 'thereabouts" more than any other team during that 60 year period which only makes our abysmal record with regard to flags even more alarming.

As I said in another post, if the ball had sat up for Milne, we would have won one flag in a 60 year period-one less than the much maligned and pitied St Kilda football club. We would be equal with the other much pitied club in the AFL, the Bulldogs who have played one grand final in around fifty odd years and yet would have achieved the same result as us despite our multiple appearances at the big dance. We have had bad luck in a number of our own grand finals, but when a pattern develops you have to look deeper and ask why we fail so often on the big stage when it matters.

When a pattern of not being able to attract big fish to the club as we used to do becomes the new norm, that's another reason for supporters to ask why? Why are we no longer a destination club? Geelong seems to lure a big name every year. The lifestyle excuse seems strange to me. Why wasn't that an issue twenty years ago? In an age of social media you can't hide from the scrutiny no matter where you play. One could argue it would be harder to show your face out and about in Geelong after a terrible loss than it would be in a big city like Melbourne.

What do you want supporters to do? Meekly swallow whatever guff is sent their way via the Collingwood marketing department? Applaud Eddie and the boys for trying? Where do you draw the line? If we finish last next year and someone expresses their dissatisfaction will you respond with:
"Well someone has to finish last!"

Silly comment. Collingwood supporters are invested in one club. The stated aim of that club and the players in it has always been to win the premiership. That's it. It's not about creating good young citizens (although Bucks seems to believe this is our number one priority). Eddie continues to talk us up as a powerhouse club. We have not been able to produce a period of sustained success for over 60 years and probably longer. By sustained success I mean winning multiple flags during a relatively short period of time. Richmond have done it now on a number of occasions: so too have Carlton, Hawthorn, Brisbane and Geelong. We have been 'thereabouts" more than any other team during that 60 year period which only makes our abysmal record with regard to flags even more alarming.

As I said in another post, if the ball had sat up for Milne, we would have won one flag in a 60 year period-one less than the much maligned and pitied St Kilda football club. We have had bad luck in a number of our own grand finals, but when a pattern develops you have to look deeper and ask why we fail so often on the big stage when it matters.

When a pattern of not being able to attract big fish to the club as we used to do becomes the new norm, that's another reason for supporters to ask why? Why are we no longer a destination club. Geelong seems to lure a big name every year. The lifestyle excuse seems strange to me. Why wasn't that an issue twenty years ago? In an age of social media you can't hide from the scrutiny no matter where you play. One could argue it would be harder to show your face out and about in Geelong after a terrible loss than it would be in a big city like Melbourne.

What do you want supporters to do? Meekly swallow whatever guff is sent their way via the Collingwood marketing department? Applaud Eddie and the boys for trying? Where do you draw the line? If we finish last next year and someone expresses their dissatisfaction will you respond with:
If the ball hadn't bounced sideways away from the Collingwood player who had it covered before it got to Milne he would never have had the chance.
FMD I'm tired of the Milne scenario.

Honestly if we brought in Gunston and Wright to play alongside Checkers, traded out Cox, and put Jordy in to the midfield it would be a significant net gain, even if we have to lose AT to achieve that.
Agree with that A36, 2MP is far from the worst player going around, is gettable without breaking the bank in salary or trade and an excellent kick and in the age sweet spot. If we go this way Mason would likely be traded, you would think GWS/Essendon/North would be possibilities.
Gunston would be the key to inject something significant into our forward make up, i am hoping the silence on this one is actually a good sign. OF course we would love him to be 23 yo, but he is not old, is durable, smart, mobile and skilled.
Final piece would be a dangerous, quick small who can pressure and hit the scoreboard.

I’d be comfortable with our forward line with a healthy (and affordable) Hogan if he was added to our best 22 of the 2020 season - I wouldn’t want to lose Mihocek though to make it happen. He is a 40-50 goal a year key forward. Yes Jeremy Cameron would have been grand but Hogan is still the type we need. A lot would depend on his attitude so you wouldn’t sign him to a Beams deal. But he makes the side much better on paper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really don't understand the desire by some to get Adam Treloar out the door. Aside from Taylor Adams, and oldies Pendles and Sidey, exactly where are our midfield stars?
Them wanting to get Treloar out and interest in Zac Merrett is pretty understandable.

Treloars type is expendable

Last edited:
The sky is falling down, the sky is falling down. I don’t get it, one thing doesn’t go our way and all of a sudden it’s all over.

Cameron was always going to choose Geelong, was out of our control. Not every player likes the media attention and scrutiny that comes with Collingwood..we have built ourselves quite a good club and culture...nobody leaves, even during tough times everybody stuck it out.

We smashed west coast at home in an elimination final, we had the toughest draw and schedule of the lot...and we did it all with injuries and controversy...we need to make our own luck in a way. Fewer injuries, a tweak to our game plan and some class through the middle and we’ll be right! Cameron would have been great, but there will be other solutions.

Smashed West Coast? I was certain we won by one point. You talk of controversy-who caused it? Sidebottom, Dunn, DeGoey and Bucks himself. When will we not have injuries? What gives you the confidence to suggest a repeating pattern over a decade is going to change? If we have to make our own luck why haven't we done so in the past decade? How exactly do we make our own luck? It's fine to be optimistic, but it has to grounded in reality. Our game style in 2019 and 2020 has been terrible to watch. It is a slow, defensive grind most weeks and very rarely a pleasure to watch. When a man like Matt Rendell who was inside the club for years expresses his bewilderment over the defensive game plan it makes you wonder. We could not score most weeks. It was excruciating to watch. Even our so called best wins were off the back of a quick start and then a long defensive grind protecting our lead.

You say Cameron was always going to choose Geelong and therein lies the problem. Why? Why did we all know Collingwood would never be his preferred destination? We offered him more money than Geelong. Are we just used to the fact we cannot land a gun key position player at our club? Is that something only Geelong, Richmond, Sydney and Brisbane can do?

One thing doesn't go our way......seriously. One thing? Have you been following Collingwood these past ten years? I suppose Lynch chose Richmond because he wanted to avoid scrutiny at a low key club too?

If the ball hadn't bounced sideways away from the Collingwood player who had it covered before it got to Milne he would never have had the chance.
FMD I'm tired of the Milne scenario.
You can be as tired as you like, it's still a fact. The ball took an unusual bounce as did the rolling snap by Reiwoldt which Maxwell managed to touch.

yep, it's Cox we need to replace
Cameron replaces Lynch as the back up ruck
throw in Lynch as steak knives in potential trades

As a unique 200cm player with a huge tank I’d like to see Lynch play one more season in th VFL - we’ve put so much time into him I’d hate not to explore all options before we lose him.

You can be as tired as you like, it's still a fact. The ball took an unusual bounce as did the rolling snap by Reiwoldt which Maxwell managed to touch.
And it's still a fact that the ball took an unusual bounce before it got to Milne - hence your assumption of us being lucky to get through is wrong.
Trying to rewrite history is funny.

As I said in another post, if the ball had sat up for Milne, we would have won one flag in a 60 year period-one less than the much maligned and pitied St Kilda football club. We would be equal with the other much pitied club in the AFL, the Bulldogs who have played one grand final in around fifty odd years and yet would have achieved the same result as us despite our multiple appearances at the big dance. We have had bad luck in a number of our own grand finals, but when a pattern develops you have to look deeper and ask why we fail so often on the big stage when it matters.

When a pattern of not being able to attract big fish to the club as we used to do becomes the new norm, that's another reason for supporters to ask why? Why are we no longer a destination club? Geelong seems to lure a big name every year. The lifestyle excuse seems strange to me. Why wasn't that an issue twenty years ago? In an age of social media you can't hide from the scrutiny no matter where you play. One could argue it would be harder to show your face out and about in Geelong after a terrible loss than it would be in a big city like Melbourne.

so help me understand how you would investigate the reasons for our poor strike rate in winning flags over the last 60 years - to produce the needed change by the club to improve our flag win rate.

And it's still a fact that the ball took an unusual bounce before it got to Milne - hence your assumption of us being lucky to get through is wrong.
Trying to rewrite history is funny.

You'd better tell Benny Johnson and Nick Maxwell who have both commented on the lucky bounce of the ball in those final torrid minutes. What would they know, they were only out there in the heat of battle, a metre away from the action. Why is it rewriting history to simply record the obvious? We were unlucky not to receive a free for a block on Maynard when a crackdown on that very thing had been strictly applied all year. The ump simply squibbed it. Australia was unlucky in that infamous test when Stokes was out plumb to Lyon but a gutless umpire refused to raise his finger. It cost us an Ashes series win. Is that rewriting history?

Cameron to the Cats will be tough to get through. GWS will want heaven and earth and I can see them playing hard ball
But at the same time we don’t have what they want.

I don’t see us going for Brown unless it’s a second round pick and doubt we can pay him what he wants

I do hope we try harder for Gunston I know the Hawks want to keep him but he would be great for our forward line.

Still need to find homes for Thomas and others. Hope with keep Treloar
Merrett would be another find addition. Especially as the bombers need pics to use on Dunkley
Plus we need to keep points for Daicos next year.

This off season is going to be hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd better tell Benny Johnson and Nick Maxwell who have both commented on the lucky bounce of the ball in those final torrid minutes. What would they know, they were only out there in the heat of battle, a metre away from the action. Why is it rewriting history to simply record the obvious? We were unlucky not to receive a free for a block on Maynard when a crackdown on that very thing had been strictly applied all year. The ump simply squibbed it. Australia was unlucky in that infamous test when Stokes was out plumb to Lyon but a gutless umpire refused to raise his finger. It cost us an Ashes series win. Is that rewriting history?
Well domus your particular version of history interpretation may be entertaining to some but I prefer not to pollute my mind with such dross.
Goodbye.

Well domus your particular version of history interpretation may be entertaining to some but I prefer not to pollute my mind with such dross.
Goodbye.
Weird. What particular aspect of my historical interpretation is dross? Perhaps Stokes wasn't out plumb LBW despite the review showing just that. Perhaps that strange bounce which has had many media commentators and former players still talking about it years after the event was a figment of our imaginations. Ciao!

You're focussing on when luck went our way??
If Barry Breen's wobbly kick had bounced out of bounds rather than through for a point in 1966?
If Harmes was called out of bounds in 1979? If Tarrant was paid the free in front of goals and Lynch not given the free when he staged in 2002? If Maynard was given the free for a block in 2018?
2010?? Give me a break!!

Should we be looking at a KPB and pushing Moore forward??

I would do that, even if it results in dropping from 1st in defensive ranking - because with Moore fwd we could surge to near the Top of the offensive rankings.
Definitely worth very serious consideration - given he is now a man monster and more experienced compared to the skinny kid who played fwd a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back