List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody know when our delistings will be coming out?

If Macintosh is still on our list I’m gonna throw up.
Stick your fingers down your throat now

If Freo is indeed offering 10 for Baker I'd say thay means 9, 10 and 16 for the Bolton-Baker package. 6+ for Rioli. Brisbane's 1st.

End up with something like 1, 6, 9, 10, 17, 21, 22, 26 and 29. Not a bad hand.
You forgot to add 16 to your list and don't be surprised if 20 is added to the Rioli deal

1-6-9-10-16-17-20-21-22-26-29

North might now be much more interested in splitting 2 to get Houston across, I reckon they still would even without Houston, they'd have to be keen on Armstrong/Shanahan and would likely get one of them if say we offered 9-10, with the other being used for Houston

I think we will break records as to how bad we are next season and you will reconsider your prediction of us challenging for a premiership in six years.

Hawthorn? They’re not a comparable case study. They didn’t bottom out as hard as the clubs that I mentioned did. They finished bottom four twice in the past few years and never won a spoon. They also have regularly topped up with mature age players like Amon, Chol, Ginnivan, Impey, Scrimshaw, Frost, Scully, etc.

I agree that we should be being aggressive with the rebuild given Tasmania are coming in but I highly doubt we move from the bottom four any time soon, let alone challenge for a flag in six years. That is delusional.

The funny thing is if someone on here had mentioned picking up any of those players Hawthorn traded in they would be met with a chorus of "Spud no good"

There are plenty of good players that are fringe players at other clubs for one reason or another you just need to be able to pick the right fit for your club. We should all be open to getting in players from other clubs with our picks over 30 they may not all work but we could add depth with some good role players and less risk.

I think we have 10-12 solid players on our list already, if we draft 10-11 top 20 picks next 2 year including multiple picks 1-3, grab 5 or 6 role players from other clubs and grab a big name FA, there's no reason we cant be competing for the 8 in 4-5 years. Not many teams get that much access to top 20 talent so early on in the rebuild.

Of coarse if we draft and trade poorly we could be crap for 10 years but our draft hands over the next 2 years are likely to provide the top end talent most rebuilding teams take 5-6 years to accumulate.

Something tells me we won’t get the picks we all expect to get for Rioli/Bakes/Shai.
tend to agree.
Rioli will get done with little hassle.
Bolton and Baker are going to have alot more twists and turns.
Good chance our return will not be as sky high as many has predicted..

You forgot to add 16 to your list and don't be surprised if 20 is added to the Rioli deal

North might now be much more interested in splitting 2 to get Houston across, I reckon they still would even without Houston, they'd have to be keen on Armstrong/Shanahan and would likely get one of them if say we offered 9-10, with the other being used for Houston
Where's 26 coming from? GC?

If we get 6,20 & 26 from GC, you could cancel out 17 from Brisbane as I imagine all our 3rds and 4ths will go back to GC.

I don’t think $$ is the issue with Baker, he’s returning home for other reasons.
I’ve heard some arguments about getting him to stay an extra year, so he becomes a FA, but this is the year to get as many r1 picks as possible.
Can’t see anyway he stays

What would happen if Bakes did sign another year, left as Free agent next year we got band 1 compo, then Balta also leaves as free agent next year we could get picks 1, 2 & 3 lol. Surely AFL would find some way to stuff us.

This year is the year to have as many 6-25 picks as possible, next year top end talent is excellent. If we were talking about pick 13 this year or pick 2 next year for Bakes its no argument.

The question was has anybody done it in a brief timeframe ..they did ...they bottomed out . They won it 5 years later ...the original question didn't ask anything about who was already on the list ...pretty obvious strawman reply
I think you need to read the full convo for context rather than chiming in at the tail end.

yeah I forgot to add it in you're right. I don't reckon we'll get 6 and 20 for Rioli. 26 possibly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did not say that at all. There are multiple examples of clubs dipping then winning a flag which I mentioned before you quoted me. Richmond dipped before our flag in 17, Melbourne dipped before their flag in 21 and Collingwood dipped before their flag in 23.

None of these clubs finished dead last on the ladder after winning two games for the season and then gut their list by trading away arguably 3 of their best 5 players and had a handful of significant retirements. They all had an existing group of players prior to their dip which meant they could re-launch quickly after a reset. They are not comparable to the current Richmond. We are overhauling our entire list and do not have anything remotely similar to the quality of personnel that those sides had before they dipped.

All promising? Really? I beg to differ. Sonsie won’t get another contract. Gibcus is coming off two separate season long injuries that are extremely concerning for a player of his age. Tom Brown is serviceable and will be for the rest of his career. Clarke is a fringe player coming off an ACL. Banks has barely shown anything at AFL level despite playing the easiest role in footy. Big stretch calling them promising.

I think my definition of bottoming out is more stringent than yours. Bottom literally means the lowest point. Hawthorn never finished last or were bottom four for a prolonged period. Real bottoming out are the examples I have mentioned - Richmond, Melbourne, Carlton and now North Melbourne, West Coast and us again.

In four years time Broad will be 35, Vlastuin and Nankervis will be 34 and Short will be 32. I’d be surprised if any of them are on our list in 2028. Hopper is bang average and his body looks shot. Could lump him with the others. Taranto and Balta are good players but Hawthorn’s crop of Hodge, Crawford, Bateman, Sewell, Croad, Mitchell, etc. is a much better base than Taranto and Balta.

We are not Hawthorn 2004. We are North Melbourne 2022. Strap yourself in. It’s going to be a long ride back.
You seem to be taking what the likes of Hodge Mitchell and co became and equating it to how good they were back in 2004 and using it to say that we're nothing like Hawthorn of 2004.

IMO we're similar to the Hawthorn side of 2004 who had a group of experienced players on their list then they added a few quality draftees 2001 & then went again in 2004 & 2005 when they added Franklin Roughead Lewis Ellis & Birchall. Back in 2021 we added Gibcus Brown Sonsie Banks & Clarke, all 5 have shown some promise over the early stages of their careers. Injuries and lack of opportunities haven't allowed them to truly shine like we'd have liked, but heading into 2025 they'll get their chances all things being equal.

Fast forward a couple of years and just like Hawthorn of 2004 & 2005, we're going to be well positioned to bring in a raft of young talent to boost our list. Hopefully we have more hits than misses and don't repeat the errors of our 2004 draft.

Again I'm not saying that we're going to do a Hawthorn and win the flag in 4 years time, I'm just saying that with good decision making and commitment to the plan Yze has we could be back in contention for the finals in 4 years time, from there anything can happen. The thing is a few people seem to believe that we're in for 5+ years of pain, I'm not that certain. I agree the next 2 seasons are going to be tough, but after that we should be moving back up the ladder, we just need to nail this off season to start heading down the right path.

"while Richmond premiership player Jack Graham is weighing up a four-year offer from West Coast. If he was to depart an end-of-second-round pick is seen as the best possible result for compensation for the Tigers. "

If Graham leaves it looks like he'll net us pick 41 instead of pick 22.

mmmmm.... pain sponges.....

Love how the Cats got knocked out 2 days ago and already have announced their delisting. Meanwhile we are sitting there still foxing around with if we are going to cut Noah Cumberland

Parfitt seems a no brainer to get to provide cheap, easy, competent cover to ensure we don't have to traumatise the new recruits in the first 2 years of floggings.
Never understood why Clubs delist before trade, we got a 2nd rounder for Tambling after all... Club knows what we are doing, we just aren't telling anyone else until we have to

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back