List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not advocating throwing it away, of course. Richmond has shown previously they are happy to trade this pick, see the Taranto deal.

Where is the evidence or history that this pick holds any greater proportionate value than any other pick? What is the logic behind it? I suppose it allows time for multi club trades to be done, but has this ever occurred between nights 1 & 2?
Richmond takes Pick 1 then splits it into two picks inside the top 15

Thank heck you aren't in charge of our trades!

Baker is worth a pick inside 15 and Rioli x2 1st rounders.

Um… that’s basically what we are getting.

Baker trade nets us currently 815 points + estimated 302 to 446 points (WC miss finals). That’s between pick 12 and 15 in points value. Now I know picks and points aren’t the same but the future third may help us land another top pick if a club needs points.

The Baker trade also helps us unlock Brisbanes first without potentially giving up the first pick in the 2nd round.

The Rioli trade does net us two quality firsts in draft where there isn’t a huge difference between pick 1 and pick 10.

We give up Rioli + 1460 points

We gain 3828 points, the gain in points is worth picks 13 and 14 in the draft. The trade also unlocks the Brisbane first trade.

In effect we give up Rioli and Baker and gain picks 13, 14 and 15. However, because we use 3 of our picks after 30 we upgrade 13 and 14 to 7 and 10.

I’ve got no issue with us asking for more but if they both want to leave you can’t expect us to get more than that for players turning 27 and 28 early next year.

There’s obviously a lot of factors to play out with pick positions, and additional trades or compo that could alter our trades. I really doubt we’d take more than 5-6 in the draft so pushing our picks as high as possible is key, especially given the first round depth.

I’d argue he is one of the best kicks at the club especially off both feet.

Would like to see a player attempt kicking the pill off both feet. Like that time Treloar did a double hammy, it’s impossible until someone tries it.

Binns had 47, 13 marks and kicked 3 goals in the VFL last weekend. 43 and 11 marks in round 7 too. Averages 28 disposals per game in just his 2nd year.

Imagine Hugo or Banks were putting up those numbers in year 2. But apparently every depth player from other clubs, particularly the big clubs ****ing suck....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Binns had 47, 13 marks and kicked 3 goals in the VFL last weekend. 43 and 11 marks in round 7 too. Averages 28 disposals per game in just his 2nd year.

Imagine Hugo or Banks were putting up those numbers in year 2. But apparently every depth player from other clubs, particularly the big clubs ****ing suck....

Why is he not playing in the seniors? Hasn’t played a full senior game yet. Sub once from what I can see and had two touches.

Why is he not playing in the seniors? Hasn’t played a full senior game yet. Sub once from what I can see and had two touches.
Other clubs want us to ignore this years draft. It is a circus.

We have all these picks, it is a deep draft supposedly, we could well use them and build a force for the future

Other clubs want us to ignore this years draft. It is a circus.

We have all these picks, it is a deep draft supposedly, we could well use them and build a force for the future

Our first round draft hand is shite and we need to trade into it to take advantage. Bringing in Binns doesn’t help us do this.

Also he looks like Fridge’s 12 year old brother. If he’s thrown into a seniors side now he’s going to get carved up.

When was the last time we held the first pick of the 2nd round and traded it? I don't believe we ever have. We may have traded a pick around 21 in the draft but never the first pick of the 2nd.

There is plenty of evidence of clubs being asked about possibly trading the first pick of the 2nd round, by holding that pick we put ourselves in a strong position as we currently hold 3 picks inside the first 2 rounds, smart trading could see us hold5 picks inside the first 2 rounds with the chance multiple will be in the first round. Unless we're getting something that we can't say no to, there is no reason to trade it. Take it to the draft and get the best available kid at that point.

Is there not similarly plenty of evidence of clubs being asked to trade every other pick in that region?

The pick has not been traded live at any of the last 3 drafts(but was traded live in the only other 3 drafts since live trading was introduced, but in 2020 the whole draft was done in 1 night anyway, so not relevant.)

Will Phillips has been on an AFL list for 4 years, one less year than Dow. He averages around 15-16 disposals a game when factoring in his use as sub. In his VFL games he’s only hit 30 disposals twice and averages 22.4, Dow 21.4.

He’s played 39 (2 unused sub), Dows played 32. He also handballs more than he kicks (3/5 handballs), only slightly less than Dow.

I think Dow should be top 3-4 players in line for delisting, doesn’t mean he gets delisted but highlights Phillips isn’t worth shit. It’s not like he’s been playing for a top team.

Our first round draft hand is shite and we need to trade into it to take advantage. Bringing in Binns doesn’t help us do this.

Also he looks like Fridge’s 12 year old brother. If he’s thrown into a seniors side now he’s going to get carved up.
I have not even seen Binns but he is under contract and we have other options.

We go hard in this draft it opens up far more opportunities in the future including next year.

It is a bit like Tsatas, if he improves and we want him later in future years he will want to come to us becuase of all our young talent brewing up to the surface, plus Tsatas and Binns can stick and pick another club where they want to go if tehy like, time is on their side

Last edited:
Is there not similarly plenty of evidence of clubs being asked to trade every other pick in that region?

The pick has not been traded live at any of the last 3 drafts(but was traded live in the only other 3 drafts since live trading was introduced, but in 2020 the whole draft was done in 1 night anyway, so not relevant.)
The pick is more valuable to us holding it than trading it, unless it's part of a Taranto sort of deal and right now we're not part of any sort of Taranto type deal

The pick is more valuable to us holding it than trading it, unless it's part of a Taranto sort of deal and right now we're not part of any sort of Taranto type deal

How can this possibly be known until you consider what you are offered in a trade for it? Every pick has a value, if you think you can get something more valuable to you than the pick in a trade, you trade the pick, surely? I you can't, you take the pick to the draft. Same with any pick.

Meteoric Rise saw your Phillips trade made it to the North board. Suggestions that North had planted someone inside the Richmond list management team to get a deal like that and Richmond paying crazy overs. Don't think I've ever seen an oppo reaction like that to a trade idea. Well done 😆

How can this possibly be known until you consider what you are offered in a trade for it? Every pick has a value, if you think you can get something more valuable to you than the pick in a trade, you trade the pick, surely? I you can't, you take the pick to the draft. Same with any pick.
As I said, if we're getting someone like a Taranto and pick 21 is part of the package to land them, then sure. If not then you keep it. Right now we're linked with the likes of Phillips Binns and Tsiatas, none of them are worth a pick inside 50 as far as I'm concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back