List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopper trade is gonna just get worse and worse. 5 years of that plodder hoovering up precious midfield minutes for our first round developing draft picks.
Good lord. Hope we’re ruthless.

We could definitely front load a contract for a guy like Peatling that would be pretty juicy.

This is a nice little test of Hicks’ sources, we’ve not been linked with him by anyone else.
Morris says he met with Victorian clubs and then Hicks says 25 minutes later we are one of them. Could be read as he’s seen Morris’ tweet and had a cheeky guess at us being one of the clubs, or he could be clued in.
Twomey today says there’s 6 clubs in the mix, The Demons, the Western Bulldogs, Collingwood, St Kilda, West Coast and GWS. :huh:

Doesn’t back up what Mr Cam Hicks is saying

Hopper trade is gonna just get worse and worse. 5 years of that plodder hoovering up precious midfield minutes for our first round developing draft picks.
I’d like to think with the cavernous gap in our tpp opening up that we front load the shit out of TT and hops deals leaving us with flexibility come last couple of years if we choose to delist hop

Next season? I know we're going to be bad next season and the following season. I'm not sure what gives you the impression I thought otherwise.

Interesting how you've failed to mention Hawthorn in your post. I just don't agree with your timeline. We have a lot of knowledge of what not to do and fortunately we have taken the key first step of building a strong draft position. We are going to bring in a lot of high end talent and we chose the perfect draft to do it.
Our worst years are going to be right before Tasmania comes in which is perfect. It wouldn't shock me if we are playing finals again by 2029.

I think you're misinformed about where we are at.

If we draft well in the next 2 x seasons and get some quality free agents we will be playing finals before 2029.

Unlike Norf we have our FB and CHB for 7-10 years already at the club in Gibcus and Balta.

Unlike Norf we have some decent quality senior players across the field with anywhere from 1-7 seasons left : TT, Hopper, Nank, Vlastuin, Broad, Short, Prestia, Lynch.

We also have some promising youth who are beyond that all important 15-20 games mark : MRJ, Ross, Ralphsmith, Brown, Campbell, Mansell, Banks, Miller.

Then some promising but inexperienced youngsters in Macauliffe, GReen, Lefau, Smith, Tresize, Clarke.

Then there’s 6-7 draftees we add in 2024
draft, with plenty of pointy end picks. And likely pick 1 or 2 in 2025.

We are not coming from ground zero. We are already 18-24 months into a rebuild.

4-5 elite draftees and a quality free agent is enough to have us in finals by 2027 and contending for flags again by 2029.

You don’t need 10 x elite players. You need half a dozen. The rest of your C and B-graders just get brought along for the ride, and look like better players than they are when surrounded by A-graders.

You don’t need to look far to see this every single year. Flag teams look brilliant … in 2023 Lipinski looked a star, Bobby Hill a NS medallist, Josh Daicos an AA, McReery a promising star, Mason Cox an actual player etc… when in reality once Pjes started struggling in 2024 they are all shown up as the spuds they are.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not really. They'll push him out if they're good enough. And it's not like we're contending and hes chewing up valuable cap space. The early 1st we paid to get him stings, other than that WGAF.

Not really. They'll push him out if they're good enough. And it's not like we're contending and hes chewing up valuable cap space. The early 1st we paid to get him stings, other than that WGAF.
I tend to agree but if Yze starts to coach for his job I’m sure he’ll be picking him over our young fellas

If we draft well in the next 2 x seasons and get some quality free agents we will be playing finals before 2029.

Unlike Norf we have our FB and CHB for 7-10 years already at the club in Gibcus and Balta.

Unlike Norf we have some decent quality senior players across the field with anywhere from 1-7 seasons left : TT, Hopper, Nank, Vlastuin, Broad, Short, Prestia, Lynch.

We also have some promising youth who are beyond that all important 15-20 games mark : MRJ, Ross, Ralphsmith, Brown, Campbell, Mansell, Banks, Miller.

Then some promising but inexperienced youngsters in Macauliffe, GReen, Lefau, Smith, Tresize, Clarke.

Then there’s 6-7 draftees we add in 2024
draft, with plenty of pointy end picks. And likely pick 1 or 2 in 2025.

We are not coming from ground zero. We are already 18-24 months into a rebuild.

4-5 elite draftees and a quality free agent is enough to have us in finals by 2027 and contending for flags again by 2029.

You don’t need 10 x elite players. You need half a dozen. The rest of your C and B-graders just get brought along for the ride, and look like better players than they are when surrounded by A-graders.

You don’t need to look far to see this every single year. Flag teams look brilliant … in 2023 Lipinski looked a star, Bobby Hill a NS medallist, Josh Daicos an AA, McReery a promising star, Mason Cox an actual player etc… when in reality once Pjes started struggling in 2024 they are all shown up as the spuds they are.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
True. We started our revitalisation/rebuild in 2021 with 5 picks inside to 30. We are ahead of the game. Not starting from scratch.

That’s not the point. The point is pies getting Perryman for free. That’s why they want him and thats why they prefer him over Peating.
He's bog average, that is the point - nothing else matters. The Giants aren't moving the earth to keep him.
They are much keener to keep Peatling.

If GWS get the compo that has been suggested for Perryman they'd be pushing him out the door with both hands.

Collingwood's hot late pursuit of Giants free agent Harry Perryman, joining Port Adelaide with a lucrative long-term offer, is set to at least secure an end-of-first-round pick for the Giants should he leave. At best it could nudge band one territory, which would come after the Giants' current pick (No.14)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to be taking what the likes of Hodge Mitchell and co became and equating it to how good they were back in 2004 and using it to say that we're nothing like Hawthorn of 2004.

IMO we're similar to the Hawthorn side of 2004 who had a group of experienced players on their list then they added a few quality draftees 2001 & then went again in 2004 & 2005 when they added Franklin Roughead Lewis Ellis & Birchall. Back in 2021 we added Gibcus Brown Sonsie Banks & Clarke, all 5 have shown some promise over the early stages of their careers. Injuries and lack of opportunities haven't allowed them to truly shine like we'd have liked, but heading into 2025 they'll get their chances all things being equal.

Fast forward a couple of years and just like Hawthorn of 2004 & 2005, we're going to be well positioned to bring in a raft of young talent to boost our list. Hopefully we have more hits than misses and don't repeat the errors of our 2004 draft.

Again I'm not saying that we're going to do a Hawthorn and win the flag in 4 years time, I'm just saying that with good decision making and commitment to the plan Yze has we could be back in contention for the finals in 4 years time, from there anything can happen. The thing is a few people seem to believe that we're in for 5+ years of pain, I'm not that certain. I agree the next 2 seasons are going to be tough, but after that we should be moving back up the ladder, we just need to nail this off season to start heading down the right path.
Fair enough. It’s all speculation anyway. Just feel like we’re in for some dark years but I’m glad the club have chosen this direction. We have a clear and proven plan unlike clubs like St Kilda, Essendon, Adelaide, etc.

I am getting a bit sick of the pessimistic thoughts of us being shit for the next million years.

Our current situation has no similarity to any situation we have been in as a club nor the situation of other clubs.

We have a handful of premiership players coming to the end of their careers (except Balta). We also have two highly paid midfielders we recruited to try and extend our success. We are about to lose our most experienced young players but we are likely to get well compensated.

Outside of these players we have this group of around 20-25 players mainly 25 and under with less than 100 games of AFL experience, most less than 50 games. This group is the group that will determine whether we stay down the bottom of the ladder for 3+ years or whether we will do a quick bounce.

In addition to this group we should have at least 6 highly rated draftees join our club (hopefully more) and possibly a couple of youngish mature players capable of making the best 22 grade.

For us right now it is all about finding genuine best 22 players. There’s only one player IMO under 25 on our list with that locked in (Balta). The rest have question marks for different reasons but many are showing promise.

If 10 or more of these players become best 22 players in the next 2 years this bounce could be very quick.

Looking at our current group our biggest issue is the midfield and our lack of a quality KPF when Lynch isn’t in the team. We’ll also need to find a ruckman for the future. Now outside of these issues we have a lot of players showing potential in the so-called lesser non Brownlow vote winning positions. These should really be called the premiership positions because as our good friends Carlton know very well, it doesn’t matter if you have a gun midfield, ruck, KPFs, half backs and a KPD if the rest of your players are complete shit. So we’re sort of doing it backwards although we have the picks in the right draft to bring these players in.

So in conclusion, stop being so ****ing negative and get up and about. We are a massive club, better run than ever before and we have lots of plays to make to improve. Sit back and enjoy the show!!

Last edited:
Is it me or did he do that pretty well at times for GWS? That balldrop though 🤦‍♂️
Always been great around goals, even with us.

His problem with kicking seems to be depth rather then accuracy. Kicks straight at goals and even when passing it’s kicking over someone’s head or landing at their feet rather than spraying them.

Always been great around goals, even with us.

His problem with kicking seems to be depth rather then accuracy. Kicks straight at goals and even when passing it’s kicking over someone’s head or landing at their feet rather than spraying them.
Also spins like a wet sack but yeah, he can find a goal

I am getting a bit sick of the pessimistic thoughts of us being shit for the next million years.

Our current situation has no similarity to any situation we have been in as a club nor the situation of other clubs.

We have a handful of premiership players coming to the end of their careers (except Balta). We also have two highly paid midfielders we recruited to try and extend our success. We are about to lose our most experienced young players but we are likely to get well compensated.

Outside of these players we have this group of around 20-25 players mainly 25 and under with less than 100 games of AFL experience, most less than 50 games. This group is the group that will determine whether we stay down the bottom of the ladder for 3+ years or whether we will do a quick bounce.

In addition to this group we should have at least 6 highly rated draftees join our club (hopefully more) and possibly a couple of youngish mature players capable of making the best 22 grade.

For us right now it is all about finding genuine best 22 players. There’s only one player IMO under 25 on our list with that locked in (Balta). The rest have question marks for different reasons but many are showing promise.

If 10 or more of these players become best 22 players in the next 2 years this bounce could be very quick.

Looking at our current group our biggest issue is the midfield and our lack of a quality KPF when Lynch isn’t in the team. We’ll also need to find a ruckman for the future. Now outside of these issues we have a lot of players showing potential in the so-called lesser non Brownlow vote winning positions. These should really be called the premiership positions because as our good friends Carlton know very well, it doesn’t matter if you have a gun midfield, ruck, KPFs, half backs and a KPD if the rest of your players are complete shit. So we’re sort of doing it backwards although we have the picks in the right draft to bring these players in.

So in conclusion, stop being so ****ing negative and get up and about. We are a massive club, better run than ever before and we have lots of plays to make to improve. Sit back and enjoy the show!!

I agree. Think we’ll also tread our own path instead of following what other teams have done in the past.

The fact we look like cashing in on our mid-20’s stars who won’t be here for the next flag to accelerate rebuild is exciting to see.

Unfortunately i Can see the club trading out a pick or two to next years draft which will be lower quality and depth than this year. A player picked up will be 12 months behind in development.
If only someone at RFC could see this... but alas, only the great minds at BigFooty can provide insight like this :drunk:

Fair dinkum, the disrespect on here for our club is disgusting. I wish some of you would go support the scum. We are a bunch of nobodies talking on an internet forum. There is no reason to think we have greater insight than 99.9% of people actually employed in the game (except those at AFL house - they have less idea than we do).

Midfield and f50 talent apart from that we fill the gaps ok
I’m adamant that if we have a full squad to pic from we will be competitive, prob big ask with 4 x acls returning apart from that lot if all hands on deck it’ll more than make u for absence of our o trades

You're right we only gonna be shit for 3 years instead until our kids mature. 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back