Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fremantle Dockers CEO Simon Garlick promises aggressive approach to trade table to secure more elite talent​

Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick has promised to be as aggressive as possible at the trade table to secure more elite talent, saying his team’s poor finish to the season showed they need to add more class to the list.
The Dockers slid from third on the ladder in round 20 to 10th just four weeks later after failing to win another game.
Coach Justin Longmuir said the 20-point defeat form Port Adelaide on Sunday summed up their season as the players fumbled under pressure, missed shots at goal or gave away free kicks at crucial times.
Fremantle have three first round picks this season and have been heavily linked to Shai Bolton, Liam Baker and Chad Warner.
Garlick said the club had a clear plan for how to take the next step.
“We won’t hesitate in doing whatever we need to improve our list and our ability to close out games,” Garlick told The West Australian.
“Clearly, we have some opportunities with a strong draft hand, and how that eventuates will obviously be clear in in time.
“We’ve put together a list that we think has the foundations to challenge for premiership, and there absolutely needs to be improvement in that. We won’t be backwards in exploring every option we’ve got.

“We’ll certainly be going hard at the targets we think are appropriate. But we won’t be doing it at all costs.
“We’ve got to make sure that if you do have the opportunity to bring experienced talent into your club, it’s got to be at the right price. It can’t be at the complete expense of culture.
“There’s numerous considerations we’re going to make, but we certainly won’t be shy in ensuring we give ourselves the best opportunity to continue to grow and improve.”
The Dockers have had a stable defence for several years led by captain Alex Pearce and All-Australian backman Luke Ryan. The midfield’s power was on show all season with Caleb Serong, Andrew Brayshaw and Hayden Young constantly winning the ball.
Fremantle showed an improved ability to score this season with key forward Josh Treacy making huge improvements, but the team still ranked 10th in attack at the end of the home and away season.

“It’s just not being able to finish and execute and capitalize on the opportunities that we provided,” Garlick said.
“We were a top four defence and an elite contested ball team and clearance team within the middle of the ground. So us being able to finish with class under pressure when the moment demands it, is something we need to continue to get better at.”
Garlick backed coach Justin Longmuir after the club extended his contract by 12 months before the season began.
Fremantle have made the finals just once since Longmuir and Garlick joined the club in 2020 and the Dockers have fallen short of an ambitious Strategic Plan to have three top-four finishes and a premiership by the end of next season.
The Dockers’ re-build began in 2016 and they’ve been overtaken by several clubs including Hawthorn this season. But Garlick said they were following their own plan.
“We’re certainly not shying away from putting ourselves on the hook to achieve our ultimate aim, and that is to win premierships. That’s what we’re here for. So we’re not looking to make excuses or rationalise why we haven’t hit that mark yet,” he said.

“We set this at the end of 2020, so judge us upon that timeframe and what we were looking to achieve then.
“We are as impatient as anyone. I know our members and fans quite rightfully are also. Whilst we want it to happen yesterday or a soon as humanly possible, we want to set ourselves up to have a sustained crack at contending for premierships.
“There’s precedents of clubs like Geelong and Sydney and a number of others who continually contend. So every decision we made has been made with a long term outlook.”
aggressive, you call that aggressive? You find a way to get pick 3 and then you can talk aggressive and we will sit at the table!!! Freo need to stop disrespecting a players worth

does anyone here have an idea on what happens in the 2026 afl draft. We have a NGA player Cody Walker but he is also Carlton F/S. He is projected to be 1st pick as of now, I still don’t quite understand NGA and clubs? I see it as he is more likely to be a F/S pick.
He can nominate either, but it's a certainty he will nominate FS.

nah I'm pretty happy with my opinion.

I don't doubt he is a great player when everything is up and about, and have zero doubt he is absolutely what freo need, but I still believe that Dan has performed at a more consistent level across when we were good and bad.

nothing anyone says will change my mind on that, I read the comments in Autopsy threads weekly (Not just this year) about Bolton being MIA at stages, not stepping up when needed etc.

Like I said, exciting, talented player suited to a team travelling well to be the icing on their cake, 1000%.

But for me Dan has been more consistent, especially during the bleaker times.

I understand that from a trade perspective, the only thing that actually matters is what the pending club think he can add to their side, which is a huge upside, don't disagree with that at all.
I have to disagree with you here. Rioli had a breakout 2017, missed most of 2018 with the broken foot recovery, and until his move to half back in I think 2022, a lot of posters wanted him gone, gone, gone. He was having matches as a forward where he barely touched it. So we're talking 2 and a half to 3 seasons of good footy at half back, and one good season (his second) as a small forward.

Bolton on the other hand started his career slowly but broke out in the small forward role in 2019 (only his 3rd season on the list), but then turned into a midfielder that basically carried the team for most of 2020 whilst we were missing a lot of cavalry. He has performed to almost that standard across all of the seasons since, even if 2024 was up and down by comparison.
In 2022 he had something like 80 scoring shots to go with many high possession games.

Bolton, at his best, is a match winner, whereas Rioli is a solid piece.

He can nominate either, but it's a certainty he will nominate FS.

Yeah copy that mate. I thought they were changing rules for NGA. Seems every club is getting luck with there father sons except us 😂 I mean we got Maurice. But so far the only one I can remember being good was probably Richo or Bowden.

Mate you are on the wrong track here. Bolton was the top rated forward in the AFL in 2022 and 2023.
Not only that, he was the 9th-best centre clearance player in the league this season, in terms of ratio of clearances won to bounces attended. 13% of the time he started in the centre square he won the clearance. And never a hurried up-and-under kick to nowhere, usually breaking out the front and delivering deep forward.

That's not icing, that's mother****ing cake. And not some store-bought sponge - your Nan's goddamn world famous Christmas cake.

The times he's 'MIA' is when our genius coach leaves him at full-forward while the oppo walk it out of the guts. Then when we're eight goals down Shai would go in there and things would turn.

the icing on their cake
1724738126415.gif

If GC dont give pick 6, do we accept pick 13 & F1 - if that is all they offer...
we could still get a good kid at #13 for a 29yr old eg: Lindsay, Trevaglia, Hyne, Gross, Berry or one of the KPFs
They will give pick 6 unless we accept less.

I disagree slightly on Bolton, and I have been a major fan of his - however I reckon he is a match finisher rather than a match winner...

Fremantle Dockers CEO Simon Garlick promises aggressive approach to trade table to secure more elite talent​

Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick has promised to be as aggressive as possible at the trade table to secure more elite talent, saying his team’s poor finish to the season showed they need to add more class to the list.
The Dockers slid from third on the ladder in round 20 to 10th just four weeks later after failing to win another game.
Coach Justin Longmuir said the 20-point defeat form Port Adelaide on Sunday summed up their season as the players fumbled under pressure, missed shots at goal or gave away free kicks at crucial times.
Fremantle have three first round picks this season and have been heavily linked to Shai Bolton, Liam Baker and Chad Warner.
Garlick said the club had a clear plan for how to take the next step.
“We won’t hesitate in doing whatever we need to improve our list and our ability to close out games,” Garlick told The West Australian.
“Clearly, we have some opportunities with a strong draft hand, and how that eventuates will obviously be clear in in time.
“We’ve put together a list that we think has the foundations to challenge for premiership, and there absolutely needs to be improvement in that. We won’t be backwards in exploring every option we’ve got.

“We’ll certainly be going hard at the targets we think are appropriate. But we won’t be doing it at all costs.
“We’ve got to make sure that if you do have the opportunity to bring experienced talent into your club, it’s got to be at the right price. It can’t be at the complete expense of culture.
“There’s numerous considerations we’re going to make, but we certainly won’t be shy in ensuring we give ourselves the best opportunity to continue to grow and improve.”
The Dockers have had a stable defence for several years led by captain Alex Pearce and All-Australian backman Luke Ryan. The midfield’s power was on show all season with Caleb Serong, Andrew Brayshaw and Hayden Young constantly winning the ball.
Fremantle showed an improved ability to score this season with key forward Josh Treacy making huge improvements, but the team still ranked 10th in attack at the end of the home and away season.

“It’s just not being able to finish and execute and capitalize on the opportunities that we provided,” Garlick said.
“We were a top four defence and an elite contested ball team and clearance team within the middle of the ground. So us being able to finish with class under pressure when the moment demands it, is something we need to continue to get better at.”
Garlick backed coach Justin Longmuir after the club extended his contract by 12 months before the season began.
Fremantle have made the finals just once since Longmuir and Garlick joined the club in 2020 and the Dockers have fallen short of an ambitious Strategic Plan to have three top-four finishes and a premiership by the end of next season.
The Dockers’ re-build began in 2016 and they’ve been overtaken by several clubs including Hawthorn this season. But Garlick said they were following their own plan.
“We’re certainly not shying away from putting ourselves on the hook to achieve our ultimate aim, and that is to win premierships. That’s what we’re here for. So we’re not looking to make excuses or rationalise why we haven’t hit that mark yet,” he said.

“We set this at the end of 2020, so judge us upon that timeframe and what we were looking to achieve then.
“We are as impatient as anyone. I know our members and fans quite rightfully are also. Whilst we want it to happen yesterday or a soon as humanly possible, we want to set ourselves up to have a sustained crack at contending for premierships.
“There’s precedents of clubs like Geelong and Sydney and a number of others who continually contend. So every decision we made has been made with a long term outlook.”
"At the right price".
If I was doing the deal for Richmond I'd be pretty blunt from the word go.
He's a contracted, a required player that won't come cheap.
No bargain to be had here, in fact it won't be at the right price, you'll need to pay a premium.
9,10 & 17 or don't bother calling us, thanks.

I won't be shocked if they do something shifty - like trade out one of the picks we're targeting.
At which time I'd say, the price just went up.

Let us see how aggressive Freo will be, or will they be the Freo of old.

Noble is a fringe player. Not always best 22, particularly before they got injuries.
He's no Liam Baker and nor should he be valued as such. 20 and 34 at a minimum? That's crazy.

Noble is a ball butchering, dime a dozen hack. He tries hard, but when Markov is preferred to you for a Grand Final spot you’d be lucky to command pick-40 in a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no way we will nominate Ashcroft.
Clubs don't do it nowadays.
We'll all be relying on Norf to do it.
No point for us to do it
The number 1 draft pick gets a nice cash bonus so nominating a player who won’t play for you just ****s over the player we will pick in a way

If GC dont give pick 6, do we accept pick 13 & F1 - if that is all they offer...
we could still get a good kid at #13 for a 29yr old eg: Lindsay, Trevaglia, Hyne, Gross, Berry or one of the KPFs
no way. pick 6 and the rest

I have to disagree with you here. Rioli had a breakout 2017, missed most of 2018 with the broken foot recovery, and until his move to half back in I think 2022, a lot of posters wanted him gone, gone, gone. He was having matches as a forward where he barely touched it. So we're talking 2 and a half to 3 seasons of good footy at half back, and one good season (his second) as a small forward.

Bolton on the other hand started his career slowly but broke out in the small forward role in 2019 (only his 3rd season on the list), but then turned into a midfielder that basically carried the team for most of 2020 whilst we were missing a lot of cavalry. He has performed to almost that standard across all of the seasons since, even if 2024 was up and down by comparison.
In 2022 he had something like 80 scoring shots to go with many high possession games.

Fair enough to have that view!

The beauty of opinions and the fact we have been lucky enough to have both players!

"At the right price".
If I was doing the deal for Richmond I'd be pretty blunt from the word go.
He's a contracted, a required player that won't come cheap.
No bargain to be had here, in fact it won't be at the right price, you'll need to pay a premium.
9,10 & 17 or don't bother calling us, thanks.

I won't be shocked if they do something shifty - like trade out one of the picks we're targeting.
At which time I'd say, the price just went up.

Let us see how aggressive Freo will be, or will they be the Freo of old.

That will probably be it, 9, 10, 17 sliding to around 11, 12, 20 for Bolton and we may want a speculative player off them as well. If Collingwood and Freo picks had ended where they were projecting mid-season, around 15-16, I firmly believe they'd have been handing over all 4 rd 1 picks they have available, including their 2025 rd 1 pick.

I hope not but are we adding late picks to 6 for gc to get points for lombard? We need thr points to do a deal with blues/lions first due to their father sons

As it currently stands, Gold Coast have 5516 points in the draft. Removing pick 6 gives them 3765 (more than pick 1 - 3000 points). If (for whatever reason) Gold Coast gives up pick 20 for Noble (cause I don't see them trading away pick 13 for him), they still have 2853 points, which I believe is still enough for Lombard if we decide to bid at pick 1 taking into account the discount (which I doubt, since Lombard seems to be rated a little lower than pick 1).

Only reason we would add in picks is if we ask for more than pick 6.

Not only that, he was the 9th-best centre clearance player in the league this season, in terms of ratio of clearances won to bounces attended. 13% of the time he started in the centre square he won the clearance. And never a hurried up-and-under kick to nowhere, usually breaking out the front and delivering deep forward.

That's not icing, that's mother****ing cake. And not some store-bought sponge - your Nan's goddamn world famous Christmas cake.

The times he's 'MIA' is when our genius coach leaves him at full-forward while the oppo walk it out of the guts. Then when we're eight goals down Shai would go in there and things would turn.

View attachment 2093618
All for the different views!

We will get what we deserve either way, trade wise!

I don't know if you can really read that much into it. Rioli reuniting with Dimma makes sense. Baker and Bolton it's not a massive shock to think that they might see their futures in WA and they have achieved glory with us so it's not as if we are on the cusp of anything right now. Graham we are all happy if he finds a new home next year.

A lot of these guys honestly they are going to be doing the right thing for us of they go and we get decently compensated. If we get a Prestia quality player because Dan goes we are going to be jumping for joy.
This is how I've come to see things too. After watching these pages for the last few months.

Initially I was all for keeping the contracted players because they were seen as the nucleus of our side going forward. But they have given great service and Bolton looks as stale as a bottle of piss the second half of the year (which could be to do with his family stuff/pressure etc).

All the players spoken about for trade including Baker who appears to have really struggled with the decision have expressed interest in making sure Richmond get fair or better compensation, particularly the contracted two. They love the club and want to leave on good terms. They are premiership heroes after all. Their kids will potentially play for the club someday.

Even though it doesn't seem like it now, this exodus, started by Dimma last season could well prove to be the making of a new era. Time heals all wounds and the timing couldn't be better frankly. After a few bleak seasons all of a sudden Richmond fans are up and all over the draft for the first time in 10 years. Suddenly we are likely to have picks coming out our ears and some new you g guns coming into the club to get excited about !

Thanks Dimma - 3 time Premiership coach
Thanks Shai - 2 Premierships 100+ games
Thanks Dan - 3 Premiershipss 100+ games
Thanks Bakes - 2 Premierships 100+ games
Thanks Jack - 2 Premierships 100+ games

That's assuming all of these go of course.

Great servants of the club and them leaving gives us a potential draft bounty never seen by any but the expansion clubs.

Thanks for your service. Onward and upward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back