Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree it will be for the greater good but we aren’t just ripping off a band aid

We are essentially ripping off the whole arm with it

The pain may be short term but the next 2 - 3 seasons are going to be very grim in terms of on field performance
Exciting too, can't wait to see how all of the new draftees go.

D. Rioli + Pick 21
For
Pick 6 + Pick 13

Pick 13 + Baker
For
Pick 3

Keep Bolton for another year at least.
Get Brisbanes 1st

Draft:
FOS @ 1
Jagga @ 3
Lalor @ 6/7
Berry/Trav or a tall @ Brissy’s 1st

Even trade next years 1st into this years top 10 and get Langford as well. Starting midfield for the next 12 years in the one draft. And what an elite mix.

FOS on a wing/HFF
Jagga @ HB/mid - Daicos 1st year
Lalor Foward pocket/rotate mid
Langford - same with Lalor

[if we get these players]
Trav - wing/HBF (Rioli replacement)
Berry - VFL and develop under our small forwards.

Adding the midfield core of our next premiership team in the one draft would be huge. Then we can use the next 2 drafts to draft players that fill a need for the team.

Exciting too, can't wait to see how all of the new draftees go.
Absolutely!
Been a long time since we have been able to really sit back and enjoy draft night and watching a crop of top tier kids

Only time will tell if we are doing the “right” thing but the positive is that the club has to decided to go all in, in one direction

it’s always better to make a decision that may turn out to be the incorrect one in hindsight over sitting on our hands and making half measures in opposite directions resulting in nothing

You won't go wrong going where the value leads you. The value is leading us shoulder deep into what Groupie_ would call a mint draft.

Before, the value led us into picking short people at the draft, which is what has brought us to the enviable position we are in now. And the club has the confidence to see it through as well, and build what hopefully will prove another unbeatable team. 2034 - get ready for the rules of the game to have to be radically changed again to stop us. :)

The problem I have with the Bolton trade as it appears to be is that the two or three picks while adding up to a significant and equivalent amount of points, likely won’t help replace who we are losing.

I would say Shai is worth in the region of pick 1 - 3. I’m including in that valuation his age and his wage. I want to be able to use the pick/s we receive to draft someone I think could be as good.

Pick 9 or 10 or 17 or whatever they end up being will be a complete fluke if they produce someone of that ability.

It’s like Melbourne accepting three handy players for Petracca. Yes, you’d swap him for McKay or Heeney or Papley or Bolton. But three handy players doesn’t make up for star quality.
I view drafting a a game of probabilities. You have a chance of all types/grades of player at every pick. Just that earlier on you have a higher chance of a higher quality player. The more 'good' picks we have the higher the chances are that we end up with a group of high end players. It's optimising the tradeoff of future quality squad versus here and now success or development (depending where you are).

We are not having success so we are into development. How does Shai fit into that picture? Good for immediate success, and solid for development. But amazing for improving our portfolio of picks to get future success.

So if Shai leaves he improves our ability to generate a good future by increasing our number of picks and the quality of those picks = higher likelihood of ending up with a competitive/winning squad.

t's not about a one for one replacement. It's about improving our chances.

I view drafting a a game of probabilities. You have a chance of all types/grades of player at every pick. Just that earlier on you have a higher chance of a higher quality player. The more 'good' picks we have the higher the chances are that we end up with a group of high end players. It's optimising the tradeoff of future quality squad versus here and now success or development (depending where you are).

We are not having success so we are into development. How does Shai fit into that picture? Good for immediate success, and solid for development. But amazing for improving our portfolio of picks to get future success.

So if Shai leaves he improves our ability to generate a good future by increasing our number of picks and the quality of those picks = higher likelihood of ending up with a competitive/winning squad.

we are not in the business of competitive winning squads, we are in the business of winning premierships and Port shows despite Ken and trading in Dixon it needed Rozee, Butters and JHF recent pick one and they still might miss

This is the whole point, how often do you get to bring in top 5 talent?? We are not Geelong that screw clubs over on Cameron deals, Otten deals, Bailey Smith deals, Dangerfield deals

Absolute gun! Harley Reid type hype building around him. He’s from SA though and is a JHF type flight risk, Port or Crows will give up the world to get pick 1.

As a 16 year old he averaged 38 disposals, 10 marks, five tackles and six clearances in 11 games for central districts under 16’s. Was also SA’s top rated player in game 1 of this years national under 18’s championship’s

Things can change but he is a talent.
If we trade our first pick next year for this draft without getting Dyson Sharp I’ll be mad as.
If he’s a flight risk and wants to leave we will request a priority pick from the AFL to match his status because there is no way, Crows or Port will have enough picks by then to pick him up. The AFL will have to cough up and assistance for us.

Last edited:
Agree it will be for the greater good but we aren’t just ripping off a band aid

We are essentially ripping off the whole arm with it

The pain may be short term but the next 2 - 3 seasons are going to be very grim in terms of on field performance

I don’t know if I agree. We may not be playing finals but a lot of people are underselling our injury issues this year. If things are more normal on the injury front next year I think we have a better season even with the exodus of players.

Look at the number of games played by our players who will be in/around our best 22 next year, the majority of these missed games were due to injury.

Balta - 19
Brown - 18
HRS - 18
Taranto - 15
Banks - 15
Hopper - 12
Lefau - 10
Young - 9
McAuliffe - 9
MRJ - 9
Ross - 7
Tresize - 7
Lynch - 4
Bauer - 3
Gibcus - 2
Clarke - 1

16 players that didn’t hit 20 games. A lot injured when they found form. A bit of continuity, especially in the midfield, and things improve. Add a couple of kids capable of playing straight away and maybe a mature recruit or two, and things won’t be so bad.

What did you hear a few weeks ago?

Was told a few weeks ago, Baker told Livingston that his heart was in WA for a variety of reasons and despite how much he loves the club and respects the position (they offered more leadership) he just wanted to get back. The undecided nature of it was he was always keen on WCE. But met with Freo leaders and young stars and some key staff. His head was definitely turned as they showed him a United playing group and stable club hellbent on winning a flag. Right after that, WCE sacked Adam Simpson. There are reports that Liam will wait to see who the coach is. I’m adamant unless it’s someone with a huge respected CV which I doubt, his choice will be the Dockers.

I will also state that Liam has advised his management Richmond have to be adequately compensated in any deal and he won’t want us being screwed.

It all started from Damien Barrett speculating. Doubt there's anything in it. We won't get much for him now anyway and there's no need to offload him with the exodus already on the cards.
Yeah but if he goes we get his wages off the book's. Not confident in his body anymore.

The picks and the salary cap space, you gotta love that over the next couple of years we will be able to entice FAs to our club. Look at bringing in player/s to fill holes on our list, without giving up prized early picks
Best of both worlds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we trade our first pick next year for this draft without getting Dyson Sharp I’ll be mad as.
If he’s a flight risk and wants to leave we will request a priority pick from the AFL to match his status because there is no way, Crows or Port will have enough picks by then to pick him up. The AFL will have to cough up and assistance for us.
I had a partial look at the video of Sharp.

I would be surprised if he is pick one next year. He is talented but a little agricultural at the moment. Where do you think Sharp would go in the 2024 draft?

If you don’t win the flag you are last the way the AFL sport and media is

So might as well finish bottom and maximize draft picks and trades for the fastest way back to the top!

So bloody exciting

Last edited:
Reckon it would be a power move to trade our future first into this year. Clubs will value that as a pick 1-5, materialise the value of that in a good draft, only upside risk for us.

I said this a couple of pages back and I really like it as a strategy. It fills that list spot one year early with a player in the top 5 of the draft this year. Get the Crows to give us a pick 4 and a sweetener and for our pick next year and it's win-win for both.

Well, I’m not trying to replace like for like or role for role.

We will have a ton of picks and will bring good young talent through the door regardless but stars make a difference and we are losing one.

If we think there is a Daicos, Reid or Bont level player or two potentially there, you can bet they will be in the top few picks

A range of picks is great for matching bids or trading or if you want scatter them around and hope for the best in an even group and I’m sure we can still do that if we choose; it’s not much help though, if you want to target a potential star player.

I guess, only the clubs know which of the top picks might be traded out for more picks. If we think we’re getting North or West Coast or Adelaide’s pick then it’s all sorted but we supporters don’t know that.

We have a guy of equal value to the kids most likely to be stars. I want to use him for that purpose.

I had a partial look at the video of Sharp.

I would be surprised if he is pick one next year. He is talented but a little agricultural at the moment. Where do you think Sharp would go in the 2024 draft?
Well he played Jagga as a bottom ager and toweled him up. If that gives you an Indication. Not saying his better, one poster on here has also stated that Jagga having the year off has had the ability to completely focus on footy so he should be ahead of the rest atm. But that will soon change come preseason the rest will catch up/exceed in my opinion. If a bottom ager in the national level is performing well against Guys who are older it should indicate where he sits. I wouldn’t be surprised if went top 4/5 now.

gonna take till 2028 to be comepetive again

yze wont be there
I'm not having a go... we have to back the coach until it is for sure proven otherwise he is not the right fit.

We support Richmond FC, Richmond players and Richmond coaches...

Dynasty teams normally take longer to get back into contention, so we are asking Yze, Blair and now the new CEO to do what no other club has done before... and bounce back in 3 to 4 years

I said this a couple of pages back and I really like it as a strategy. It fills that list spot one year early with a player in the top 5 of the draft this year. Get the Crows to give us a pick 4 and a sweetener and for our pick next year and it's win-win for both.
This is an absolute no. Then we completely write off, Dyson Sharp - Archie Luwodyke & Oliver Greeves. If we don’t successfully get our Key Forward stocks this year and Archie is the stand out, we would be missing out massively.

I'm not having a go... we have to back the coach until it is for sure proven otherwise he is not the right fit.

We support Richmond FC, Richmond players and Richmond coaches...

Dynasty teams normally take longer to get back into contention, so we are asking Yze, Blair and now the new CEO to do what no other club has done before... and bounce back in 3 to 4 years
sam mitchell has them in finals 3 years after he got there

would be lunacy to extend yze if we are bottom 4 again next year and 2026

We'll have millions off the books already. We'll be struggling to meet the minimum cap spend as it is.
Sampson is going to be the highest paid player in the comp next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back