Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking of experi3nce. What's David mundy doing these days?!

Even overlooking the fact that they have historically devalued top end draft picks by giving up their own Pick #7 to offload Bowes, or parting with their Pick #2 for Weller, or any number of other trade mindbogglers over the years, there are a host of other rationales for them paying "overs" for someone like Dan Rioli.

We need to look at the trade through the Suns lens. This is a team absolutely desperate for finals action, and desperate to make the play for Dimma be and appear worthwhile. If this Dimma experiment flops for them, it's difficult to see them making serious ground on the Lions or in Queensland at all for the next decade.

Now has to be their time. Ultimately all of these "toys" are going to demand an increase in their salary for their second (or third) contract that will stretch their coffers even further, and suddenly another series of exits will happen - Tassie for one will be throwing the cheque book around big time in 2026 and onwards, let alone Collingwood and Richmond with massive war chests due to legends retiring and growing discontent in their respective massive fanbases.

ATEOTD, Dan Rioli is contracted, is AA quality, has four or five strong years of footy left in him (far longer than their patience with Dimma if they haven't franked their draft outlay by then), is incredibly durable, and has that extra special x-factor in that he's indigenous ... and better still, viewed as an indigenous leader.

The importance of this last point should never be underestimated in a footy club, especially a northern Australian club who've traditionally struggled to get the best out of (and hang onto) their indigenous lads - Jeffrey, Lemmens, Rosas, Rankine, Nicholls, JMartin, Sumner, Patrick, Garlett, Hall, Bennell, Wilkinson, and probably quite a few more I can't think of atm, have all under-achieved or gone wayward at the Suns. Harbrow was a wonderful leader, but he was no Rioli. That name alone carries serious currency.

The Suns MUST pay overs. If it was the Bulldogs or Essendon, at best we could ask for is probably a Pick #8-12, because that's how things work down here. But the reality is the trading climate differs significantly when the Suns are involved, especially in their current predicament. And if Richmond were to chip in a significant proportion of Dan's salary at the Suns, which is entirely feasible and reasonable given our imminent exits, then this augurs for an even better deal for us.

A draft pick 6-8 AND another pick 12-15 should be the absolute minimum for our starting point. And if someone weighs in here and says "no way he's worth that" then I'd probably agree with them.

But that's not the point - all of these factors listed above lean towards us demanding that.

Even overlooking the fact that they have historically devalued top end draft picks by giving up their own Pick #7 to offload Bowes, or parting with their Pick #2 for Weller, or any number of other trade mindbogglers over the years, there are a host of other rationales for them paying "overs" for someone like Dan Rioli.

We need to look at the trade through the Suns lens. This is a team absolutely desperate for finals action, and desperate to make the play for Dimma be and appear worthwhile. If this Dimma experiment flops for them, it's difficult to see them making serious ground on the Lions or in Queensland at all for the next decade.

Now has to be their time. Ultimately all of these "toys" are going to demand an increase in their salary for their second (or third) contract that will stretch their coffers even further, and suddenly another series of exits will happen - Tassie for one will be throwing the cheque book around big time in 2026 and onwards, let alone Collingwood and Richmond with massive war chests due to legends retiring and growing discontent in their respective massive fanbases.

ATEOTD, Dan Rioli is contracted, is AA quality, has four or five strong years of footy left in him (far longer than their patience with Dimma if they haven't franked their draft outlay by then), is incredibly durable, and has that extra special x-factor in that he's indigenous ... and better still, viewed as an indigenous leader.

The importance of this last point should never be underestimated in a footy club, especially a northern Australian club who've traditionally struggled to get the best out of (and hang onto) their indigenous lads - Jeffrey, Lemmens, Rosas, Rankine, Nicholls, JMartin, Sumner, Patrick, Garlett, Hall, Bennell, Wilkinson, and probably quite a few more I can't think of atm, have all under-achieved or gone wayward at the Suns. Harbrow was a wonderful leader, but he was no Rioli. That name alone carries serious currency.

The Suns MUST pay overs. If it was the Bulldogs or Essendon, at best we could ask for is probably a Pick #8-12, because that's how things work down here. But the reality is the trading climate differs significantly when the Suns are involved, especially in their current predicament. And if Richmond were to chip in a significant proportion of Dan's salary at the Suns, which is entirely feasible and reasonable given our imminent exits, then this augurs for an even better deal for us.

A draft pick 6-8 AND another pick 12-15 should be the absolute minimum for our starting point. And if someone weighs in here and says "no way he's worth that" then I'd probably agree with them.

But that's not the point - all of these factors listed above lean towards us demanding that.

We have a history of giving our players away for unders. I’m not holding my breath we get fair value let alone overs with what we have shown at the trade table historically.

Just imagine boot on other foot and what these campaigners would demand ,,,,,easily two top 20 pics for a player about to be our bf winner triple premiership player , dimmas taken the bait now go in dry

I reckon we can add Balta to the list of player exodus under Yze

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not this year but fa next year and I’d say a fair chance he will have absolutely massive offers given what’s on table for shit trucks like battle McKay and embarras

Jayden Short for Jacob Konstanty who says no?
Well considering we could get Konstanty for free in the PSD as he's out of contract and barely played AFL - it's a stark reminder that we should be glad no one on this forum is in charge of the list.

I'm the last person to defend Short as he's been putrid but this board would be the laughing stock of the whole website with the tantrums and meltdowns.

The same people would have said trade Dusty at the end of 2016 because "he's not part of our next flag" - I have zero doubt that.

The sky isn't falling, the sun will come up tomorrow, it's just AFL ffs, you can't get relegated and you are rewarded for being shit.

Things are never as bad as they seem.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How to add 5 x 1sts and maybe another 2nd

Baker to WC for 23 & a future 2nd (maybe we have to swing our future 3rd back)

Rioli, 23 & 41 for 6, 13 & 35. This trade is the better option for GC as it is worth more points than trading 6 and 20 for Rioli. Lombard is very unlikely to go past pick 13 so points will matter more.

Bolton & 35 for 9, 17 & 25. To me this has to be the minimum despite what others might think. We have a lot of leverage with this trade and we have the ability to pay part of his contract.

Graham compo (if we get any) - end of 2nd or 3rd would still be useful. Final trade 34, 39 & Graham compo for 15 (Brisbanes first).

Albeit a lot going on, all within the realms of possibility if we are getting gutted of some of our most valuable players.

We enter the draft with 1, 6, 9, 13, 15, 17, 21, 25 and maybe a later pick.

I would’ve said this was too many picks in the draft but if we lose those players we are partly back to square one, so may as well load up on the draft.

Well considering we could get Konstanty for free in the PSD as he's out of contract and barely played AFL - it's a stark reminder that we should be glad no one on this forum is in charge of the list.

I'm the last person to defend Short as he's been putrid but this board would be the laughing stock of the whole website with the tantrums and meltdowns.

The same people would have said trade Dusty at the end of 2016 because "he's not part of our next flag" - I have zero doubt that.

The sky isn't falling, the sun will come up tomorrow, it's just AFL ffs, you can't get relegated and you are rewarded for being shit.

Things are never as bad as they seem.

Wtf are you talking about.

We’ve all said, if we got anything for Jayden Short we’d be lucky. This wasn’t a recommendation but a question.

Your types on this forum are boring. Constantly can’t see anything but blue skies and club can do no wrong. Small minds, brainless points. It’s easy to scroll over your “opinions” as they mean absolutely nothing.

We have a history of giving our players away for unders. I’m not holding my breath we get fair value let alone overs with what we have shown at the trade table historically.
New regime mate. Don't have that dope smoking company ink dipping hippy around the joint banging the drum circles and singing Kumbaya. It worked in the past when players who were not getting a game wanted to leave for better opportunities we couldn't give them but Rioli would be seen as a required player that is on the field each week.

Wtf are you talking about.

We’ve all said, if we got anything for Jayden Short we’d be lucky. This wasn’t a recommendation but a question.

Your types on this forum are boring. Constantly can’t see anything but blue skies and club can do no wrong. Small minds, brainless points. It’s easy to scroll over your “opinions” as they mean absolutely nothing.

Small mind and brainless points? Your post was about trading for a player you can get for free. Irony.

The club has done things wrong and things right, that's life. I've never said they do no wrong but every club, person, business will do the same over and over again.

Should I spend my time having tantrums online about it? No. The only blue skies I see are the ones here in Europe where I've been for 2 months not having tantrums on Bigfooty every day.

Clubs only care about your money, you're a number like everyone else. The AFLs biggest trick was convincing fans that their memberships mean something. They don't.

Do I think my opinion matters one iota? No, it doesn't and I have the self awareness to know that - do you?

Careful with your ego mate, you're playing chess against yourself.

Last edited:
Small mind and brainless points? Your post was about trading for a player you can get for free. Irony.

The club has done things wrong and things right, that's life. I've never said they do no wrong but every club, person, business will do the same over and over again.

Should I spend my time having tantrums online about it? No, the only blue skies I see are the ones here in Europe where I've been for 2 months not having tantrums on Bigfooty every day.

Clubs only care about your money, you're a number like everyone else. The AFLs biggest trick was convincing fans that their memberships mean something. They don't.

Careful with your ego mate, you're playing chess against yourself.

I’m playing chess against myself am I Einstein?

You enjoy the sunny skies of Europe. Whilst you are stuck on a computer on BigFooty! At least when I was travelling and enjoying my life, I took time away from the computer and BigFooty. Now I’m back in the rat race, I’ve resorted to it. I’ll disappear again soon enough. Don’t worry.

Be careful mate. My ego is large and for good reason. And it’s different from when Tiger71 says he has a large one and it ain’t true.

On your point. I agree. Club don’t give a damn about us. But darn it I just hate incompetence. It drives me crazy. So hence, I have this safe platform to vent my outrage. I can see the mistakes and it enrages me because it was done through complacency and incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back