Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what exactly?

Miller clearly a better athlete, better kick and better one on one
Yes Miller is better at the moment in those area but does not read the ball in flight as good. How good was Miller a couple of years ago? Ratshit! Miller has a very slow reaction time and Blight will develop, I think into the better player.

I watched Miller have to swap over to Blight’s opponent against Carlton when he was getting towelled up (granted his first game I think so probably unfair to judge him too much on that performance)

And I’ve seen him rack up a ton of footy in the VFL last week but Miller was also having games like that in the VFL back when he was playing games there

Blight clearly isn’t as good a kick as Miller

I understand Blight had 30+ touches, 17 intercepts and took 11 intercept marks.

I’m not sure Miller has ever got close to those markers at VFL level?

I thought Miller had a great first dozen games, but he has been pretty poor the last 8-9. He has a lot to learn as he rarely leaves his man to help others and he has been beaten in a lot of contests lately.

I’m not willing to say Blight will be better than Miller, but I am willing to say he has more tools to be a better player from what I’ve seen thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes Miller is better at the moment in those area but does not read the ball in flight as good. How good was Miller a couple of years ago? Ratshit! Miller has a very slow reaction time and Blight will develop, I think into the better player.
fair call, I am not writing Blight off, too early, but I have an eye on the draft and better prospects in general possibly

Dunno we need list spots to open to draft the next stars from somewhere, not sure what RFC are thinking?

Dermott on Fox reckons Blight had a very good match last week for us in the VFL, he is in our squad this week so hopefully Blight goes well. If he is showing something it would be unwise to disgard him

Last edited:
????

why should we be a charity and trade out premiership chances??

remember, we do not draft Dusty we would be 40 plus years since the last premiership.

the line has to be drawn at some stage

Phillips deserves a second chance but not at RFC lining up to attack the 2024 draft. RFC is not the right club for him and Phillips not the right player for us. Phillips needs a crack at a more in the now club where he might be able to grow and learn and support a existing group. We simply should be drafting better talent in and shaping our list years ahead

What on earth are you talking about? Honestly..
I’m trying to make sense of your post and struggling.

What has drafting dusty got to do with potentially bringing Phillips in?
You do realise that if we were to go for him, we would probably offer maybe a late 2nd rounder I’m guessing? In a draft hand we might have 5 first rounders and probably 2/3 second rounders..after packaging later picks. We have so many.
Using one of those for Philipps is not ‘trading out premiership chances’.
We are not drafting another dusty anyway. He shouldn’t be in this conversation.

Phillips would suit us perfectly given the position we are in. A chance for him to learn from Taranto and Prestia and cement a spot. He wouldn’t get a game at other clubs that ‘are in the now’

I agree we should be focusing on the draft. But a trade period is looming for us where we will have many picks most likely. There’s only so many players you can draft.

What on earth are you talking about? Honestly..
I’m trying to make sense of your post and struggling.

What has drafting dusty got to do with potentially bringing Phillips in?
You do realise that if we were to go for him, we would probably offer maybe a late 2nd rounder I’m guessing? In a draft hand we might have 5 first rounders and probably 2/3 second rounders..after packaging later picks. We have so many.
Using one of those for Philipps is not ‘trading out premiership chances’.
We are not drafting another dusty anyway. He shouldn’t be in this conversation.

Phillips would suit us perfectly given the position we are in. A chance for him to learn from Taranto and Prestia and cement a spot. He wouldn’t get a game at other clubs that ‘are in the now’

I agree we should be focusing on the draft. But a trade period is looming for us where we will have many picks most likely. There’s only so many players you can draft.

This is the point.

We should not be drafting anyone late second round anyway. Those picks are used to get better draft picks like with Port getting Rozee and Butters etc... years ago

We need to be picking and stuffing up top 20 picks and ideally top 10 picks if we have to, back end later picks are when you do not have a strong draft hand to get the better picks, and then with the better draft picks use them to draft quality like Dusty.

No Dusty no premierships. Players of late second round ilk can be chased down via trades, rookies at many stages in a number of ways later if needed. Right now we need to nail our first pick, then we need to nail our second pick etc..

Without Dusty there is no silver lining in the years ahead. The likes of Phillips just gets in the way, he needs to find a more up and about club looking for support for a tilt, we are chasing guns, we have plenty of support/role players already

The other thing is back end second round picks or later are really for moonshot players, high risk high reward for teams where we are at, not limited players like Phillips. Phillips has missed his chance North. That is a mark against him for starters so he is behind the draftees. There might have been circumstances but it is not like North has talent coming out of there ears like GWS in the past. Where would he play for RFC??? Not in the guts, he is no Greg Williams, can't play wing, he could only see how he can develop in a role in a more established team and see if he can grow from there. We are not contending for the next few years at least, there will be a bit of distraction, he will be sideswiped by better talent finding their place so it makes it harder for Phillips to work with us as well

Teams in the finals should be looking at Phillips if they think they can find a role for him in their setup, because they do not have the time for a moonshot and think they are in contention and just need a role here or there with little draft capital

Callum Twomey did his Phantom draft in August. For RFC everyone of those players in his top 30 phantom would be a better prospect for RFC than Phillips for where we are at and where Phillips is at from my perspective. Those outside the top 30 I am not even looking at anyway and we have plenty of other possibilities and options going forward next year and other years as well squeezing Phillips out for us

Last edited:
He is our fourth picked key defender with everyone fit and available. Hardly a priority signing.
Insane statement. Has the ability to be our best intercept defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Blake Caracella leave Richmond because the commute to work was too taxing, hopefully it is no longer a factor.
Honestly I thought it was because Essendon offered more cash?

Yep, was reportedly the highest paid assistant in the AFL when he moved to Bummers
There it is. So i’m not losing my mind. Thanks for confirming

Didn't Blake Caracella leave Richmond because the commute to work was too taxing, hopefully it is no longer a factor.
Dont know about that - does sound a little out there!
has Caracella ever been for a senior coaching gig?
he seems to be the professional assistant coach,who is just happy to stay away from the main gig.
either way.. we can use his skills
want him in the coaching box come next year

I understand Blight had 30+ touches, 17 intercepts and took 11 intercept marks.

I’m not sure Miller has ever got close to those markers at VFL level?

I thought Miller had a great first dozen games, but he has been pretty poor the last 8-9. He has a lot to learn as he rarely leaves his man to help others and he has been beaten in a lot of contests lately.

I’m not willing to say Blight will be better than Miller, but I am willing to say he has more tools to be a better player from what I’ve seen thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Millers form has definitely dropped off 2nd half of the season. I think he needs to get back to basics, play with more body contact in aerial contests. Seems he’s trying to be that 3rd man up a bit too often, but he’s getting exposed by good opponents who are slipping him too easily. If he’s going to be a regular next year needs to find a better balance in that area

If Blight can improve his athleticism just a little with a big preseason , I think he’ll be a better bet than Miller as a KPD. His contest work is superior.

Great to have a bit of depth in our KPD stocks, probably neither ends up being elite, but having big bodies down back is really important for the development of guys like Tresize, Brown etc , allows them to play more attacking roles, rather than continually having to give a chop out in marking contests.

Reckon he takes Millers spot when he's up to speed. He's a far better player.

I had a look at the VFL replay just then.

Have to give the kid a go and looks like he has improved and can improve further clearly, must keep playing him.

I would play Balta forward give Blight some more opportunity to grow and develop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back