Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rayner is the type of player we needed available when we went after taranto & hopper

Better than both

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He wasnt better than either when we got them.

Ultimate Warrior Wrestling GIF by WWE
Sorted

And I Failed You The Dark Knight Rises GIF

With the possibility that Dow Cumberland Picket & McIntosh could be the last 4 players either re-signed or delisted and some talk about us being interested in the likes of Jacob Konstanty Will Phillips Elijah Tsatas & Ben Hobbs the question needs to be asked.

If you had the choice, which quartet would you take:

Re-Sign: Dow Cumberland McIntosh Pickett

or

Trade/Delisted Free Agent: Phillips Konstanty Tsatas Hobbs

or

None of the above

Surely these are piss takes?
Why tf are we looking at more slow poorly skilled mids, we are loaded with that.
We need speed and skill fmd
yze wants tractors who cant kick reckons he can turn around their kicking

With the possibility that Dow Cumberland Picket & McIntosh could be the last 4 players either re-signed or delisted and some talk about us being interested in the likes of Jacob Konstanty Will Phillips Elijah Tsatas & Ben Hobbs the question needs to be asked.

or

or

None of the above
Tsatas has assets that could see him be a bloody good player at the level , quick as all get out , can find it , Q on his disposal, can work on that , haven’t seen much of Hobbs isn’t he slow ? Phillips tbh you’d be better keeping Dow his best at afl has been better than Phillips

We could arguably do worse than trade for one or two veterans on short term deals, not sure how it would fit into the strategy though. Thinking a sneaky grab like Goldstein or Wingard could do a job reasonably reliably and take a question mark out of our team selection.

Oliver's looking like a good shout

Sexton from GC might be one to look at for this type of role, won't be getting a game if Rioli goes to GC but can play back or forward and would be a handy experienced list player we could get for steak knives in the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

or

or

None of the above
or

That 2016 being credited to him is a bit dodgy given what happened. He "took over" after all the work was done. You've also left out McLean and Gulden for them (possibly others as I haven't bothered to check)

Sydney's group has 3 parts of a spine, 2 starting mids and both wings of the top team. Ours has a ton of average plus Balta. Even if you include 2016 I'm still taking the Swans list.

I'm actually not sure they're Beatsons picks. I think hes been their Blair for quite awhile.

Anyway I'm happy Clarke is gone and Toce has come in. I genuinely believe we've upgraded here and time will tell but that's ultimately all that will matter.

McLean fair enough I missed him being recruited in the SSP period. Gulden, Blakey, Campbell I left out as they were academy gifts, nothing to do with recruiting acumen or skill.

You can't fairly exclude 2016 for Clarke, he was in charge when the final recruiting decisions were made, so it is legitimately within the period he was making the decisions, if he didn't want Bolton and Graham, we would have gone with someone else.

Swans have recruited more good players from their picks, but they have had better picks to work with, and by a margin. Clarke's recruiting can only be made to look bad by ignoring all of the following:

• He had almost no prime picks to work with at the draft, never a single top 8 pick, only 1 pick under 17 ever.
  • Richmond's success caused a series of his decent picks like Stengle, Higgins, to have to be traded out.
  • Picks from the weak 2020 draft were wisely deferred to the stronger 2021 draft meaning the players from those picks are 1 year less developed than would have otherwise been the case
  • the strong draft hand in 2021 appears to have produced several good footballers, but 2 have done ACL's and the premium pick Gibcus also missed another whole season. No recruiter can be held responsible for that.
  • significant value from the 2023 draft was deferred to the 2024 draft, meaning he missed the chance to use some natural picks there.

Clarke clearly had the least draft capital to work with of any club during his time in charge of our recruiting - 8 drafts. Key picks were converted to Prestia, Caddy, Taranto, Hopper, and only 1 pick was taken from the top 16 of any draft, and his final draft some significant value was deferred to the next year. Despite that, just from drafting alone in 8 drafts, we have recruited:

Bolton AA, gun, premium player 2 flag player
Balta strong kpp could yet prove amongst the best in the AFL.
Stengle AA, flag player
Baker who everyone agrees should trade for the value of a mid rd 1 pick
Gibcus who subject to fitness shapes up as a gun KPP
Brown who shapes as a strong hybrid defender
Ross a decent winger
Higgins a very decent small forward
Graham
Pickett
Mansell
Lefau
Young

And a load of young players like Ryan, Banks, Sonsie, Green, Smith, McAuliffe, from which a couple more should make the grade.

I find it hard to believe people are so down on Matt Clarke as a recruiter. He has at the very least a very solid record.

Last edited:
I differ on this. We want to avoid the 2024 scenario, where we had no Taranto, Hopper, Prestia for a stretch all at the same time. Then you are putting McAuliffe into a midfield led by Dow and propped up by Baker, Graham or whoever was available. Next year the likes of Baker and Graham probably won't be available. We don't want to be putting prime 18yo mids into that situation or anything remotely like it.

The Hawks cleaned out Mitchell and O'Meara, but look a bit closer. They have big bodies in there and the youngest is 22yo, not 18-19. When those guys were really young they did have Mitchell and O'Meara.

If we pick up a cast off mature mid(who will obviously be flawed) and Prestia, Hopper, Taranto are all fit, then the new guy probably sits in the VFL. No problem, not like he will be on a massive contract. In the seemingly inevitable scenario 1-2-3 of our mature mids are injured, we need something better than Dow, McAuliffe, Baker, Graham for the new gun(s) to play with. A big strong body with a tank would be helpful for a start.

Yze will be building a team that functions. Not picking his best 4 mids regardless of the mix. We were robbed of all our depth due to cap constraints, but now that is released we can afford to have some mature depth on the list. These are not players we are building a team around. They are players we can call on to fill a role or two when we have absences, to keep the team functioning and stop the finely built youngsters from being thrown to the wolves.

Think Ryan Lester at Brisbane. He has snuck 200 games in meanwhile they have been desperately trying to recruit replacements who keep getting injured, Adams, Payne, Doedee, Gardiner.

I am not sure who the right guys are, but Koschitzke is starting to look like half decent key forward/2nd ruck depth, we tried with Naismith and sadly he did the ACL but we will want another back up first ruck, we are probably ok for key defence depth with Young, Blight. But in the other key area, centre square mids, we need a better depth structure, this year has shown that. We need to be able to play the gun youngsters to advantage and rest them when required, and we need someone with some maturity to be able to cover for Taranto/Hopper/Prestia when they are not fit.

Is Sonsie a decent AFL mid? He was BOG at half-time of the 2022 EF with 14 touches and a goal …. he’s barely played a second of midfield since due to others ahead in the pecking order. He’s into his 4th season in 2025. I want to see him in the midfield before other teams cast-offs.

And i reckon Seth Campbell has loads of midfield traits … clean hands, great tank, quick, good balance … I’d love to see him given opportunity in there.

And im not concerned at all about our likely 2 x top-10 picks being very capable mids from day one, whether it be Smillie, Draper, FOS or Jagga. They won’t need protection of big bodies around them beyond TT, Hopper and Prestia …. not to mention Jack Ross.

If we lose all of Baker, Bolton and Graham and delist Dow then maybe acquiring 1 x midfield cast off I can accept…. but not for anything inside pick-40 in this super strong draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why does everyone keep thinking Kosi is contracted til 2026 ?

He signed a 2 year deal.

My best mate is his uncle & I asked him again at the pies game that we went to together & he confirmed out of contract end of next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bc it says so in the spreadsheet ….are you suggesting RT has got it wrong?

IMG_2902.jpeg

Kinnear Beatson is very good at what he does, not doubting that at all. But he and Wells from Geelong are lauded by all and sundry, yet since 2010, how many flags have their respective clubs won? Swans one, Cats two. And Beatson most certainly gets a huge benefit from being a Northern Academy club recruiter, although they have both plucked some gems from late selections, as have other clubs including ours.
Like I said, they are both good at their jobs but give me Blair Hartley looking after our list with a half decent recruiting team at his behest.
Isn't Kinnear Beatson the Dad off 1980s hit Family Ties? Talk about a man with a wide range!

Oakleigh Charger Finn O'Sullivan will join teammate Jagga Smith this Sunday playing for Richmond's VFL side. It will be O'Sullivan's first VFL game as the Tigers get a close look at two of the contenders in the wide open race for the No.1 pick.

Top-10 contender Tobie Travaglia, who enjoyed an excellent carnival for Vic Country, will play VFL for Carlton this weekend, while St Kilda's Next Generation Academy pair Adrian Cole and Lennox Hofmann will line up for Sandringham's VFL side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back