Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes a relative unknown and probably wasnt on oppo radars until he kicked 6. tigers fans have been pointing him out as an msd pick from way before that based purely off his natural talent and hard running. when he started being a consistent goal kicker as well most of us thought it was a given we'd pick him up. especially given the dire straits of our forwardline.

Whilst he didn’t have his name up on flashing lights, he would have been far from an unknown. Playing for a multiple years in the Gippsland Leagues and for St Kevin’s Old Boys in the VAFA before that (same club that Hayes-Brown played for earlier this year). I mean, he did find his way on Richmond’s VFL program from someone seeing him play.

It’s unlike Grey and Tresize who both didn’t come from an elite pathway, played one year in a local league team and then found their way on VFL lists.

I also think that he doesn’t project as a forward at AFL level, moreso as a high half forward/ wing, where when he has played at VFL level hasn’t looked great (to be fair, probably the hardest position to play at VFL level). We also did take a KPF in the MSD.

A bit like D'Ambrosio and Durham?

Not comparable situations at all.

As someone else pointed out, both were selected in the MSD where Davidson was not. Both were younger, and had missed out on being drafted in their draft year but were in CTL equivalent, and in D’Ambroiso’s case, was taken after only a handful of games at VFL level in the next draft he could and Durham similar (his draft was immediately before COVID so his first eligible season no VFL was played). Similar to Geordie Payne taken by north at one in the MSD this year.

Davidson older, been around the local scene a lot longer.

With regards to Davidson, you'd have to think there are some major concerns about him given he is in our system and the club would know a lot more about him compared to us keyboard recruiters.

Major concerns?

1- We keep playing him
2- In the VFL write ups…Davidson has had very positive reports….and
3- going off the article which says….The Tigers have been very impressed and are understood to be interested in Davidson,

Last edited:
Major concerns?

1- We keep playing him
3- going off the article which says….The Tigers have been very impressed and are understood to be interested in Davidson,
I think us not recruiting Davidson is probably as simple as rating Gray higher.

You can only have so many talls on the list, and if we'd also taken Davidson mid-season, then we would lose a spot to pick up another key forward in the national draft, where we'll be taking someone in the top 20 as opposed to a speculative rookie pick.

100% North gutted their list in the one hit
Leaving them with zero leadership and they still
Haven't recovered , we are already losing a shit ton of experienced players this year and people
Want to trade Lynch, broad , flipping ridiculous
Its a 52 weeks/year trade rumour mill. Relax, 90% doesn't happen. We will retire 3 or so, delist 4 or 5. Baker, JG most likely. Big deal.
If the offers for Rioli & Bolton are worth it. Do it. We have a list that's injury rooted. Current ACLs will wreck 2025 too.

End of 25. Retire Lynch, Prestia, Kmac, Pickett, Broad types. Delist a few. Trade a few more.

With the possibility that Dow Cumberland Picket & McIntosh could be the last 4 players either re-signed or delisted and some talk about us being interested in the likes of Jacob Konstanty Will Phillips Elijah Tsatas & Ben Hobbs the question needs to be asked.

If you had the choice, which quartet would you take:

Re-Sign: Dow Cumberland McIntosh Pickett

or

Trade/Delisted Free Agent: Phillips Konstanty Tsatas Hobbs

or

None of the above
None of the above

End of 25. Retire Lynch, Prestia, Kmac, Pickett, Broad types. Delist a few. Trade a few more.
End of 2025 Broad will only be 32. He could go again. So could Lynch. If he gets his body right the last two years off will prolong his career. I wouldn't write him off yet.

End of 2025 Broad will only be 32. He could go again. So could Lynch. If he gets his body right the last two years off will prolong his career. I wouldn't write him off yet.
We will need some of these guys to hang around 2 or 3 years with this crop of kids. Won't be a 1 year and you're on your own guys 🤣

My dream scenario is Graham and Rioli go
as we will get big overs for both, and Baker/Bolton stay. When our elite draftees are kicking into gear in 2026-27 Bolton and Baker will still have 4-5 elite years left and we can contend very quickly.

So I’d be inclined to hold Bolton to his contract and try to make him happy and do whatever we can to keep Baker. Bolton will still command similar in trade value end of 2025 if he’s disgruntled or if it’s clear we’ve got a few misses in our 2024 draft haul.

But if we nail our 4-5 x top-20 picks this draft, which we should know by end of 2025, it might be a super exciting place for Bolton to want to hang around with Baker as captain from 2026 onwards.

If we lose all those players, and don’t nail majority of our draft picks, we won’t be even competitive for 5+ years, let alone contending.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My dream scenario is Graham and Rioli go
as we will get big overs for both, and Baker/Bolton stay. When our elite draftees are kicking into gear in 2026-27 Bolton and Baker will still have 4-5 elite years left and we can contend very quickly.

So I’d be inclined to hold Bolton to his contract and try to make him happy and do whatever we can to keep Baker. Bolton will still command similar in trade value end of 2025 if he’s disgruntled or if it’s clear we’ve got a few misses in our 2024 draft haul.

But if we nail our 4-5 x top-20 picks this draft, which we should know by end of 2025, it might be a super exciting place for Bolton to want to hang around with Baker as captain from 2026 onwards.

If we lose all those players, and don’t nail majority of our draft picks, we won’t be even competitive for 5+ years, let alone contending.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

Understand the angst around not picking Davidson in the MSD, he was a favourite on here certainly leading up to it. In reality though we desperately needed talls, which is what we did.

Taking 3 in the MSD is difficult because unless you want to be complete campaigners and cut a kid after 6 months, that’s 3 list spots you have to find at the end of the year, before you even get to the draft.

Looking back now with hindsight and the impending exodus that seems likely it might have been possible, but generally speaking it would be a tough ask. Hopefully he makes his way to our AFL list this offseason one way or another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think us not recruiting Davidson is probably as simple as rating Gray higher.

You can only have so many talls on the list, and if we'd also taken Davidson mid-season, then we would lose a spot to pick up another key forward in the national draft, where we'll be taking someone in the top 20 as opposed to a speculative rookie pick.
You're right but due to all the outgoing players we will have from retirements, trades and delistings, I don't think we will be wanting for more list space.
Plus, considering MSD picks usually only get 6 month contracts, if we picked him and it didn't work for whatever reason, you can always just delist them.

We need to stop making excuses for the club when it's clear they were arrogant in the way they approached the Davidson situation.

You're right but due to all the outgoing players we will have from retirements, trades and delistings, I don't think we will be wanting for more list space.
Plus, considering MSD picks usually only get 6 month contracts, if we picked him and it didn't work for whatever reason, you can always just delist them.

We need to stop making excuses for the club when it's clear they were arrogant in the way they approached the Davidson situation.
Our situation is a bit unique though with all the late picks we likely need to have list spaces for or lose them and that's before we do any trades. 65 players got invited to the National Combine ahead of him too. It's not like he's going to go top 30 in the draft. He could very well end up on our list.

We probably wont be lacking for spaces, but we can’t guarantee what list spaces we have now, let alone at the time of the MSD. And don’t forget the hand we already have at the draft can only be used if you have the same amount of list spots open.

There is so much to play out at the trade table (both picks and players), and contract calls that as we sit here today we can’t have an idea how many we will have.

And despite the six month clause, not a single team selects a player on the basis that they won’t go around after the six months has elapsed. Toce said as much post MSD; you select guys you think can have a chance at making your rotation over time. If not, what’s the point? Considering the guy taken at #1 in the MSD has played 0 games, guy at #2 1.5 games, the evidence is there that need more than six months for most of these guys.

So the outcome would have been that he would have played most of the year - if not all - in the VFL side… where he already plays. And as I’ve said, there are better high half forwards and wing prospects in this draft imo.

So it’s not arrogant at all; it’s strategic list management.

In trade week, I think the Baker and Graham trades will be done early. If we still can, we'll then bundle up our later picks along with Rioli and pillage Gold Coast for their early picks. I think the Bolton trade will be the most prolonged and hotly contested. This will go down to the wire and is just as likely to not get done as it is to get done.

In trade week, I think the Baker and Graham trades will be done early. If we still can, we'll then bundle up our later picks along with Rioli and pillage Gold Coast for their early picks. I think the Bolton trade will be the most prolonged and hotly contested. This will go down to the wire and is just as likely to not get done as it is to get done.

Graham is an unrestricted free agent so if he goes will be done the days prior to trade week.

my post was a reply to someone, about "going full North on the list" saying

With Meehan in charge, I do not share your optimism about any recovery Lynch will make. Since 2022 a broken foot saw us get 4 games out of him in 2023. Roll on 2024 another 4 games due to hamstring injuries.

He got rested for ground zero ~ plays 3, out for 10.

Be a ****ing miracle if RFC can gets his body right.

Major concerns?

1- We keep playing him
The point is that he is in our VFL system, the club would have a lot more insight into whether he was good enough to draft than anyone else and chose to overlook him, so there are clearly some issues which caused us to not pull the trigger when we had the chance.

The write ups we get in the VFL are positive even if the player has a shocker, so take them with a grain of salt. Again we can have an interest, but it doesn't mean we rate him higher than others and we could very well have him ranked about 20th on our draft board.

The write ups we get in the VFL are positive even if the player has a shocker, so take them with a grain of salt.
To an extent, but you can always see when Morris gives them a clip on the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back