Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right but due to all the outgoing players we will have from retirements, trades and delistings, I don't think we will be wanting for more list space.
Plus, considering MSD picks usually only get 6 month contracts, if we picked him and it didn't work for whatever reason, you can always just delist them.

We need to stop making excuses for the club when it's clear they were arrogant in the way they approached the Davidson situation.
You can definitely have too many key position players on the list. You don't want 6 key forwards running around in the VFL.

At the moment our key forwards outside of Lynch are very much all project players, and bringing in Davidson as another speculative prospect to join Gray, Fawcett, Bauer, Kosi, Lefau, Ryan, etc. perhaps isn't the right balance. We're better off trying to get one or two key forwards at the top of the draft who have a stronger chance of making it.

What you call arrogance I call sensible list management.

You can definitely have too many key position players on the list. You don't want 6 key forwards running around in the VFL.

At the moment our key forwards outside of Lynch are very much all project players, and bringing in Davidson as another speculative prospect to join Gray, Fawcett, Bauer, Kosi, Lefau, Ryan, etc. perhaps isn't the right balance. We're better off trying to get one or two key forwards at the top of the draft who have a stronger chance of making it.

What you call arrogance I call sensible list management.
Hes 191cm the size of a tallish mid these days, and has the ability to play just about anywhere. Don't think a log jam of tall forwards was a concern.

Graham is an unrestricted free agent so if he goes will be done the days prior to trade week.
Graham done early is nice as that draft pick comes in which could be used as part of points for other picks etc. I agree with baker too, the earlier we can do the trades the more time for pick swaps. Was watching the 2017 qualifying final, we had so much talent and we have barely any now. No match winners anyway. I reckon we need the 5 or 6 draft picks in the top 25 or so and hope we snag a rance, reiwoldt and cotchin in the one draft.

If rumours are true for all baker, bolts & rioli. Bolton is the one who gets us the best value in picks. Keep the other 2

Two picks for bolts will give us a really good hand n draft this year and we plan the remaining for next year.

There is no way we go in all this year. Its madness

I think us not recruiting Davidson is probably as simple as rating Gray higher.

You can only have so many talls on the list, and if we'd also taken Davidson mid-season, then we would lose a spot to pick up another key forward in the national draft, where we'll be taking someone in the top 20 as opposed to a speculative rookie pick.
Mate,,,we had another pick…which we didn’t use

…and look at where we are now…

Last edited:
The point is that he is in our VFL system, the club would have a lot more insight into whether he was good enough to draft than anyone else and chose to overlook him, so there are clearly some issues which caused us to not pull the trigger when we had the chance.

The write ups we get in the VFL are positive even if the player has a shocker, so take them with a grain of salt. Again we can have an interest, but it doesn't mean we rate him higher than others and we could very well have him ranked about 20th on our draft board.

Sometimes the club doesn’t get it right… Durham, Mannagh

As for the write ups…you saying they are just fluff pieces…not to be trusted?

I think Morris is fairly accurate…he calls a spade a spade,,,so I rate what he says

Durham was picked before we got the opportunity. Mannagh finally made it to an AFL list years after he left us. Wouldn't call either an error by club

I think Morris is fairly accurate…he calls a spade a spade,,,so I rate what he says
Not fluff pieces, but not really scathing either. Morris always seems to find a positive even if a player only touches it half a dozen times, by highlighting their work rate or something along those lines.

I've watched plenty of VFL this year and Davidson has never really stood out to the point where I've thought, 'Gee we've got to do whatever it takes to snare this kid'. He has something to work with, but compared to the top end talls in the U18s I'd have him behind at least half a dozen in the rankings. If he is there in the mid late rounds of the draft and we've addressed our KPP requirements with genuine types, then I wouldn't be against taking him, but I wouldn't be losing sleep if we missed him.

Last edited:

Ya dam right I do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can just nominate for the PSD can't he?
These sorts of deals happen all the time.
Nah pretty sure you have to be overlooked in the ND to be eligible for the PSD (unless you've been delisted ala Houli, but these days he'd just be picked up as a delisted free agent).

Can't see us picking up Davidson in the National draft. Dodo on the other hand....

Most teams have boyhood tiger fans among their younger “star” players. All we need is for someone from this years flag team to do a ginnivan so we can cheat our way to a rebuild.

As bad as it seems at the moment. I think we should be happy with the fact we will be able to draft multiple low picks in the next couple of seasons & get our rebuild off to a quick start. On top of that with Dusty's contract gone & Lynch's contract next season coming to a finish we will have an amazing amount of extra cash up our sleeves, on top of it if Shai goes as well, we should be able to buy even more first rounders to build even quicker.
I am so happy that we have 3 premierships in the bag in the last decade & hopefully be pushing up the ladder in a few seasons to be contending again. As other clubs heading down the ladder will find it harder to build when Tassie joins the competition. I will take a few seasons of pain to jump start our climb up the ladder, if we nail the next couple of drafts with the up & coming kids. We may even be able to make an offer to Harley Reid to good to refuse.

Last edited:
Durham was picked before we got the opportunity. Mannagh finally made it to an AFL list years after he left us. Wouldn't call either an error by club

Not fluff pieces, but not really scathing either. Morris always seems to find a positive even if a player only touches it half a dozen times, by highlighting their work rate or something along those lines.

I've watched plenty of VFL this year and Davidson has never really stood out to the point where I've thought, 'Gee we've got to do whatever it takes to snare this kid'. He has something to work with, but compared to the top end talls in the U18s I'd have him behind at least half a dozen in the rankings. If he is there in the mid late rounds of the draft and we've addressed our KPP requirements with genuine types, then I wouldn't be against taking him, but I wouldn't be losing sleep if we missed him.

They get posted every week on BF bc…they provide intel on vfl performances and what players need to work on

Going off the article which says we are keen on Davidson I think it true…whether we get to pick him up or is snatched by another club at some stage remains to be seen

I think a s a player he is a classic utility….and versatile enough once he builds fitness and strength
Nothing wrong with a player that can take a contested mark, slot a goal, go hard at the footy

Let’s see what transpires

They get posted every week on BF bc…they provide intel on vfl performances and what players need to work on

Going off the article which says we are keen on Davidson I think it true…whether we get to pick him up or is snatched by another club at some stage remains to be seen

I think a s a player he is a classic utility….and versatile enough once he builds fitness and strength
Nothing wrong with a player that can take a contested mark, slot a goal, go hard at the footy

Let’s see what transpires
Yes the VFL reports provide intel, but IMO they aren't true reflections on a players overall performance as no club is going to publicly pot their players for playing poorly. In other words there is always a positive aspect to them.

No doubt we're keen, my point was more to do with everyone being upset that we overlooked him in the MSD and now risk not getting him. Given he has been part of the system for the season, our club would have the best understanding of whether he was worth drafting in the MSD and clearly they didn't think he was. Whether that was because of ability or list management implications we'll never truly know, however it's safe to assume that given the club was given scope by the AFL to be able to pick 3 players, meaning we had cap space to do so, then it must have been queries about his ability that saw us overlook him and I'd suggest that the club wanted more time to assess him before pulling the trigger.

The other consideration is being a good young side in 3-4 years that shows promise and we can pick off the talented Tassie kids. Can't see young blokes wanting to stay down there. The Devils can have Gale but we will be coming for your young guns.
Do kids leave Geelong? The Devils will be fine. If they miss home it's an hour's flight away.

You'd have better luck targeting kids drafted to the other states.

The other consideration is being a good young side in 3-4 years that shows promise and we can pick off the talented Tassie kids. Can't see young blokes wanting to stay down there. The Devils can have Gale but we will be coming for your young guns.
maybe we should just concentrate on building a group of quality youth of our own
then picking off tassie kids
we have plenty of work to do, before thinking of raiding other lists

Yes the VFL reports provide intel, but IMO they aren't true reflections on a players overall performance as no club is going to publicly pot their players for playing poorly. In other words there is always a positive aspect to them.

No doubt we're keen, my point was more to do with everyone being upset that we overlooked him in the MSD and now risk not getting him. Given he has been part of the system for the season, our club would have the best understanding of whether he was worth drafting in the MSD and clearly they didn't think he was. Whether that was because of ability or list management implications we'll never truly know, however it's safe to assume that given the club was given scope by the AFL to be able to pick 3 players, meaning we had cap space to do so, then it must have been queries about his ability that saw us overlook him and I'd suggest that the club wanted more time to assess him before pulling the trigger.

To add to your point, both El Nour and Davidson have been training with the Seniors at times over the last few weeks I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back